No announcement yet.

Where's Chris?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Chris kept a pulse on the optical industry, both in the USA and Canada. His many predications and industry forecasts about future optical developments ultimately proved to be true, despite many naysayers. I too will miss him.

Comment

That is sad news. I always enjoyed what he had to say.

Comment

Originally posted by drk View Post
        I am sad to announce that Chris died on April 18th, 2019.

I spoke with a relative who gave me permission to post this.

I conveyed condolences on behalf of Optiboard, and I was sure to let her know that Chris was a giant in the optical field, and friend to many, and that his absence will be felt.

Here's to you, Chris!
        How very sad. I'm really at a loss for words. But thanks drk for letting us know.

OptiBoard Administrator
        ----
        OptiBoard has been proudly serving the Eyecare Community since 1995.

Comment

I'd like to recognize Fabian who somehow found Chris' actual phone number. I only placed the call. Thank you Fabian.
          Last edited by drk; 05-24-2019, 07:42 AM.

Comment

Deeply saddened.

May you sail into the eternal sunset, Chris. You have been, and will be missed.
            I bend light. That is what I do.

Comment

I choose to celebrate a long life well lived.

From a post I made many years ago:

Ryser's Rule...

Originally Posted by EyeFitWell
              {What's Ryser's Rule?}

It's my attempt at immortalizing Chris Ryser's name in the optical world!

If you get to know him and his view on progressives you'll come to see he is not a big fan of progressives when compared to bi's or tri's. Over time many of us on the Optiboard have come to see the wisdom in his teachings so I coined the term with the following definition:

Ryser's Rule- The success of wearing a progressive is directly proportional to the motivation of the person to wear a progressive.
              Last edited by Uncle Fester; 05-31-2019, 08:45 AM. Reason: change fitting to wearing...

Comment

Originally posted by Uncle Fester View Post
                Ryser's Rule- The success of fitting a progressive is directly proportional to the motivation of the person to wear a progressive.
                I can think of no more fitting tribute. Codifying Ryser's Rule both honors him and gently pokes fun at the same time.
                I'm Andrew Hamm and I approve this message.

Comment

Don't forget that Chris would only wear his progressives after the cocktail hour, so the swimming sensations he got were quite welcomed.

Comment

Originally posted by Uncle Fester View Post
                    I
                    Ryser's Rule- The success of fitting a progressive is directly proportional to the motivation of the person to wear a progressive.
                    Yes, he was right on that one! While I didn't agree with a lot of what he had to say, I learned a lot from him. He will be missed.

Comment

I enjoyed the way he was steadfast and did not step to the lowness of hecklers.

Comment

Originally posted by mervinek View Post
                        Yes, he was right on that one! While I didn't agree with a lot of what he had to say, I learned a lot from him. He will be missed.
                        For the record I made up the "rule" and Chris never objected to it. Actually, I think he kind of got a kick out of it.
                        Last edited by Uncle Fester; 05-25-2019, 11:34 AM. Reason: twaek...

Comment

Oh, my, this is quite a shock. I don't know what to say, other than he will be greatly missed here.

Comment

I am sad to announce that Chris died on April 18th, 2019.

I spoke with a relative who gave me permission to post this.

I conveyed condolences on behalf of Optiboard, and I was sure to let her know that Chris was a giant in the optical field, and friend to many, and that his absence will be felt.

Here's to you, Chris!
                            How sad news.. I am truly sorry to hear of the loss of Chris. Thanks drk for placing the call.

Comment

Originally posted by Uilleann View Post
                              While we've had our disagreements in the past and all - it may not be wise posting this much of his personal information on a publicly viewed forum?
                              Sorry for this, I didn't mean to upset anyone but the information I posted is free and public and came from Canada White Pages.

I'd like to recognize Fabian who somehow found Chris' actual phone number. I only placed the call. Thank you Fabian.
                              Thank you drk, I appreciate your kind words. I'd also like to recognize rbaker who posted the Naples numbers. I took the idea from him.

Comment

Originally posted by Fabian Corio View Post
                                Sorry for this, I didn't mean to upset anyone but the information I posted is free and public and came from Canada White Pages.

Thank you drk, I appreciate your kind words. I'd also like to recognize rbaker who posted the Naples numbers. I took the idea from him.
                                I lived in Naples Florida before moving back to Oregon and enjoyed spending some time with Chris on his winter hiatus down in the swamp. He was a "real" Optician, formally trained, and a good businessman. Of greatest importance, he was a good friend.

He is no longer among us, his work here being done.
                                Dick

www.aerovisiontech.com

Comment

Working...
                                X