Thread: In Loving Memory of Elizabeth Ann Machol (1977-2003)

Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field

In Loving Memory of Elizabeth Ann Machol (1977-2003)

It was the hardest thing I've ever had to do. I sat helplessly for 2-1/2 days and watched as my beautiful and amazing daughter Elizabeth slipped away from this world. This is every parent's nightmare and no matter how hard I scream, cry or pinch myself I just can't wake up from it. Now I have to do something even harder - living on without ever seeing her fabulous smile, feeling her amazing hugs, or hearing her cheerful voice say "Hi Dad!"

Marlena and I are very grateful for the support and love shown by everyone - and in particular Liz's friends. They were wonderful throughout our ordeal and their love and respect for our daughter was truly heartfelt and amazing. They eased our pain through a very difficult time.

Every parent thinks their children are wonderful and certainly we are no exception. However to see and hear these things from her friends gave us some comfort to know how incredibly loved she was. I would like to share Liz with you through the words of her friends which they wrote in a journal at her Memorial Service. Here are just a few of the wonderful thoughts they shared with us:

"Dear Elizabeth, thank you for all of your wonderful smiles and twinkling eyes. I am sad that I wasn't able to have you in my life longer. You have always had an uncanny ability to make my day so much brighter and you had magical hands for backrubs. You have touched my life in so many ways. I wish we could declare your birthday a national holiday." - Sonny

"Hey Girlie! I only wish I could have told you once more how very much you mean to me and how very much I LOVE YOU!!! You have been an amazing force in my life. You are just amazing. My friend, sister, confidant. You were always there for me. Thank you for being Aunty to my daughter and the Homer Simpson watch started it and the bond between you two just grew. Elizabeth Machol - thank you, thank you, thank you. I Love You." - Jennifer

"I am so honored that I knew you! Everything about you touched me. Your humor. Your crazy fashions! :) Your smile. That smile...words cannot describe how beautiful your smile was. That $2000 smile! It was bright, golden, full of energy. Your warmth and your hugs, so full of warmth and love. Everything about you is amazing. Everything about you touched me. You will always be in my heart, my mind and my thoughts. You are truly...unforgetable." - Patrick

"I remember when you first took me under your wing - Guys & Dolls. I was the scared little Freshman, you the experienced Senior. And despite it being uncool, you always included me, taught me, and gave me the confidence to be myself. You were one of the most beautiful, warm, understanding and magical people I will ever know. You were always ready to cheer me up, give me advise when I felt lost, and help me out in a pinch. I will miss you so and will always keep you in my thoughts." - Sonya

"I have spend the better part of my life wondering what the nature of love is. I'm guessing that Elizabeth never had that conversation with herself because she knew. Why is it that everyone loved Elizabeth? It's because she loved everyone back." - Ian

"You changed everything. There was never anything I couldn't tell you, and I am so grateful for the time spent listening to your stories, your hopes, your trials. I will never forget your warmth, your smile or your constantly open heart. Thank you for sharing yourself so completely." - Dan

"Good bye Liz - I'll miss you so much, your smile and laugh were always infectious. When I was with you I appreciated all the love and joy you exuded. You were so full of life and you always saw the best in everyone you met." - Nancy

"Thank you for unconditionally welcoming everyone with your presence. Your selflessness and caring personality was an inspiration. I will miss being around you." - Elizabeth 'No. 2'

"It's hard for me to write anything since it's hard for me to acknowledge this as reality. I want to thank you for never being boring, not even once. And for being the person I talked and heard about EVERYTHING. The streets of heaven are lined with couture. I love you." - Vanessa

"I will never forget your smile. You have left such an impression on me and so many people that your love and compassion you have left us all is such a gift. I will always love you. You are such a light that will always shine in my eye." - Sierra

"Elizabeth was an amazing woman. Always full of love, joy and happiness. I've known her three years and everyday I saw her she was always happy and never had a moment of downtime. I have been blessed to know such an amazing woman and I will miss her dearly." - Dan W.

"To think I won't be able to talk to you or hear your laugh that could infect the saddest heart with joy is not sinking in. It's just not babe. I hope you are dancing and rocking out and your laughter is ringing out wherever you are." - Josh

"Hey! What kind of bull**** is this? You get back here - we want you here. Aw **** - Elizabeth - it was so good to know you and see your so very pretty face. You will be held and remembered with great love. Thank you for all you were." - Ken

"What can I say - you were not of this world. I know I feel blessed to have known such an angel as yourself. You touched every life you met with your unwavering kindness and warmth." - Ian

"I loved to flirt with you. Your gorgeous smile and beautiful eye with your wonderful personality made a great package." - Dino

"Your spirit and love and that gorgeous smile of yours will live on in my heart and the hearts of all the people that knew you. Your life and love should be an example to us all. Wise woman or giggling girl. I will remember you always. I love you Elizabeth." - Lisa

"The energy and that big smile every morning would just lift up all of our spirits and would help us get through each day.She was a bundle of life and energy. We all loved Elizabeth and nothing will be the same. Love you Biff. Miss you." - Casey

A large gaping hole has been torn from my heart. I wish I could say I will heal but it's hard to see how right now. Our family appreciates the great outpouring of love and support we've received. We ask in her memory that you smile at people, act kindly and approach others as if they're your friend. Please also consider being an organ donor.

OptiBoard Administrator
    ----
    OptiBoard has been proudly serving the Eyecare Community since 1995.

Elizabeth at 26

Elizabeth at 26

It hits you hard just when you least expect it
    Lying in the dark at home or in a crowded room
    You see her smile, you hear her laugh, they play the music
    Pretty Baby Girl gone far too soon

You fall apart, break down and cry,
    An island in a sea of strangers swirling round
    Just when you think you’ve pulled yourself together
    Your shattered heart is lying on the ground

From zero right to grief in just a heartbeat
    When the softest thoughts of her drift by
    Strawberry scents, an old song or a movie
    Old lady purses, cats or funny jewelry,
    The autumn equinox can make you cry.

Honey-colored hair
    A brown-eyed baby girl
    Dusted soft with fairy fire
    Sparkling, giggling whirl

She filled our hearts, our home, our world with silver laughter
    Her lovely smile, her open arms, her twinkling eyes
    Her love was strong and wise and everlasting
    Oh, Baby Girl, how do we say goodbye?

And one last time she brought us all together
    To hold each other, laugh and sing and cry
    And we released her spirit to the sunset
    While through our tears we watched her rainbow fly.
    (I love you, Baby Girl) – Mom

Occupation

Memorials

Attached are the memorials to Liz written by everyone at her services. Marlena and I appreciate all the love and support we've received and although I haven't replied to everyone, please know that your care is appreciated.
    Attached Files Attached Files

OptiBoard Administrator
    ----

Occupation

Liz & Bert

Liz loved her cat 'Bert'. She talked about him all the time. On the day Liz's heart stopped, Bert ran away. Ever since then the neighbors would see Bert hanging around the apartments, but they couldn't catch him - until now. Will, Liz's roommate, called us to say he has found Bert and is holding him for us. Marlena and I will be making the trip out to the place our daughter died to get Bert and bring him back home with us.

This is going to be a very difficult trip for us. Neither of us is anxious to go back to the scene of her death. But nothing has been easy since we lost Liz, and we know that Liz would have wanted us to take care of Bert for her.

OptiBoard Administrator
    ----

Occupation
    It is approaching six years since we lost Liz and the amount of time does not lessen the profound loss or pain we feel every day. Today CNN published an article about the number of people we lose every tear due to lack of proper healthcare. Liz is one of the ones they profiled.

45,000 American deaths associated with lack of insurance

It is my sincere hope that we can finally provide real healthcare in this country that is not dependent on being rich or lucky enough to be employed by someone that provides coverage. Other countries do this and they actually provide better care at a reduced cost. The only thing stopping us is the money that politicians receive from the special interests that want to keep the status quo.

Also it's time we remove the power of insurance company bureaucrats from deciding what care we need. This should be left to our Doctor and ourselves.

OptiBoard Administrator
    ----

Cape Codger OptiBoard Gold Supporter hcjilson's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

One way to help is to.........

Google Organizing for America. Then go to the health care section, sign up, and get involved. Even though the organization is an offshoot of the president's campaign group, as far as I have seen, its apolitical in that the only goal is affordable health care for every citizen.Its something I believe in so I signed on. Believe it or not, there's a lot you can do as an individual as a part of this group. Our local group set up outside a grocery store and passed out info on health care reform and spoke with folks about the need for it. There is so much misinformation out there it was difficult at times but we were there anyway. My wife and I were there on a "National Day of Service" in June. We missed last weeks rally but are looking forward to doing this sort of thing until afordable health care in America is a reality. If you feel that way please join us!
    hj
    "Always laugh when you can. It is a cheap medicine"
    Lord Byron

Take a photo tour of Cape Cod and the Islands!
    www.capecodphotoalbum.com

Thread Information