Thread: New Study: The World is Rapidly Becoming More Near-Sighted

Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field

New Study: The World is Rapidly Becoming More Near-Sighted

According to a new study published by the journal Ophthalmology, by 2050, 50 percent of the world’s population will be myopic.

More info here: http://www.popsci.com/nearly-5-billi...ghted-by-2050?

OptiBoard Administrator
    ----
    OptiBoard has been proudly serving the Eyecare Community since 1995.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    ...and the "environmental factors" they're talking about? Just kids getting some sun will do it....

https://www.sciencedaily.com/release...0406124740.htm
    Last edited by Hayde; 11-21-2016 at 04:45 PM. Reason: posted wrong link! lots of studies over lots of years corroborating link between lack of sun exposure & myopia boom.

OptiBoard Professional Dustin.B's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Its a matter of adaptation. If you develop inside that's more than likely what your eyes will adapt to. I grew up here in the arctic where its dark 3/4 of the year and have mild photophobia to show for it. (HID headlights are the bane of my existence... )
    ~Dustin B. AboC

"Laugh, or you will go crazy."

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Ophthalmic Technician
    Considering how much time people spend in front of screens that are way to close to their eyes, for way too long a period of time, and its far worse among younger people. This should surprise no one.

Manuf. Lens Surface Treatments
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor

Redhot Jumper findings of a research paper recently published by the Brien Holden Vision Institute

This will will create a much enlarged market for the optical retail industry in the not too distant future, and nice profits for whoever will be around by then, and is well prepared to cash in on it.

This also explains the very aggressive behavior by the largest optical giant Essilor, being the most active and progressive optical corporation in India, the world's most populated country now and guaranteed to still be it, by then.

They published the same basic article with even more details around the same time in March of this year:

"This rapid increase in the prevalence of myopia globally is one of the findings of a research paper recently published by the Brien Holden Vision Institute. The study highlighted a dramatic rise in the number of vision loss from high myopia that increases the risks of serious eye conditions, many of which may lead to permanent blindness."

See all of it: =========>
    http://www.essilor.com/en/Press/Late...c-by-2050.aspx

DickBaker and me will not be a witness by that time, as we will both have retired to a permanent location by then, but will be watching it closely at long distance, without possibility of any smart comments.

One eye sees, the other feels OptiBoard Silver Supporter
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Machol View Post
    According to a new study published by the journal Ophthalmology, by 2050, 50 percent of the world’s population will be myopic.

More info here: http://www.popsci.com/nearly-5-billi...ghted-by-2050?
    But for the 1 billion people expected to develop high myopia, it also means a higher risk of other eye diseases such as macular degeneration, retinal detachment, cataracts, and glaucoma, which could cause blindness. In fact, the researchers predict that myopia will be the leading cause of vision loss by 2050.
    That number seems high, essentially one in ten with high myopia by the year 2050! How many of these will have high axial length (30mm) myopia?

http://commons.pacificu.edu/cgi/view...13&context=opt

http://www.aaojournal.org/article/S0161-6420(15)01356-1/abstract
    Science is a way of trying not to fool yourself. - Richard P. Feynman

Experience is the hardest teacher. She gives the test before the lesson.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    Actually, this report "does" surprise me. I know it is anecdotal, but I am not seeing this huge rise in myopia in my practice. I feel as if I see about the same number of kids developing myopia as I did 35 years ago. In fact, I see fewer "pathological Myopes" than I used to. I've been told this is due to better pre-natal care and post-partum nutrition, but again, not exactly scientifically proven.

I do believe photo stimulation and vitamin D production may play a role.

There is no compelling evidence that screens are responsible. When I grew up, there were no hand held devices, and the TV was across the room, yet I became a three diopter myope.

And who says there is anything wrong with being a 2 or 3 diopter myope? It's a wonderful thing when you are 50 or 60.

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Quote Originally Posted by fjpod View Post
    Actually, this report "does" surprise me. I know it is anecdotal, but I am not seeing this huge rise in myopia in my practice. I feel as if I see about the same number of kids developing myopia as I did 35 years ago. In fact, I see fewer "pathological Myopes" than I used to. I've been told this is due to better pre-natal care and post-partum nutrition, but again, not exactly scientifically proven.

I do believe photo stimulation and vitamin D production may play a role.

There is no compelling evidence that screens are responsible. When I grew up, there were no hand held devices, and the TV was across the room, yet I became a three diopter myope.

And who says there is anything wrong with being a 2 or 3 diopter myope? It's a wonderful thing when you are 50 or 60.
    I have to agree with you. I grew up in the 70's/80's, when our reality was actual, and not virtual, so we got plenty of vitamin D, and am now a -7.00. However, in adult hood I've become sun-sensitive, and now spend all day at a computer, and my myopia is still getting worse, so maybe there is a connection.

I feel like I see a lot more kids in bifocals than I ever did, before, though.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    Quote Originally Posted by plculver View Post
    I have to agree with you. I grew up in the 70's/80's, when our reality was actual, and not virtual, so we got plenty of vitamin D, and am now a -7.00. However, in adult hood I've become sun-sensitive, and now spend all day at a computer, and my myopia is still getting worse, so maybe there is a connection.

I feel like I see a lot more kids in bifocals than I ever did, before, though.
    Well, the newest theories do not support the use of bifocal eyeglasses to reduce the incentive for myopia. The new theory involves peripheral defocus on the retina, and off-hand, I believe that if there is too much hyperopic peripheral defocus, this is a stimulus to myopia. Some are suggesting that VFL CLs can provide the "correction" for this peripheral defocus.

It is also being suggested that atropine therapy (.001% diluted atropine every other night) is also effective in controlling myopia. Not for the reason that you may think, i.e. controlling accommodation, but because it ameliorates the peripheral defocus which is the actual stimulus for myopia. I have a number of patients under this treatment and it seems to be well tolerated by the kids. It is hard to say how well it works, because who knows how much myopia the child would have developed without it.

Anyway.....
    Last edited by fjpod; 06-13-2017 at 08:52 AM. Reason: correct dilution of atropine is .01%

Occupation
    Optometrist
    I can see more Asians skewing the number. They're probably genetically predisposed to myopia.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Well, the newest theories do not support the use of bifocal eyeglasses to reduce the incentive for myopia. The new theory involves peripheral defocus on the retina, and off-hand, I believe that if there is too much hyperopic peripheral defocus, this is a stimulus to myopia. Some are suggesting that VFL CLs can provide the "correction" for this peripheral defocus.

It is also being suggested that atropine therapy (.001% diluted atropine every other night) is also effective in controlling myopia. Not for the reason that you may think, i.e. controlling accommodation, but because it ameliorates the peripheral defocus which is the actual stimulus for myopia. I have a number of patients under this treatment and it seems to be well tolerated by the kids. It is hard to say how well it works, because who knows how much myopia the child would have developed without it.

Anyway.....
    Thanks for this info Doc, not an OD, but like to know the latest info to stay in the game. Very interesting theory..

Occupation

Redhot Jumper I can see more Asians skewing the number..............................

Quote Originally Posted by drk View Post

I can see more Asians skewing the number. They're probably genetically predisposed to myopia.

drk, as usual you just hit the nail on its head.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris Ryser View Post
    drk, as usual you just hit the nail on its head.
    I will agree that more Asians tend to be more myopic. But this has been throughout the ages. They are often depicted wearing thick spectacles. Not long ago I watched a detective movie made in the 1930s where the Asian detective wore thick spectacles. His perceived poor vision was part of the plot. Now where did the filmmakers get this idea from? I suspect they got it from reality. Asians have always been more nearsighted. I don't think it is anything new.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    I will agree that more Asians tend to be more myopic. But this has been throughout the ages. They are often depicted wearing thick spectacles. Not long ago I watched a detective movie made in the 1930s where the Asian detective wore thick spectacles. His perceived poor vision was part of the plot. Now where did the filmmakers get this idea from? I suspect they got it from reality. Asians have always been more nearsighted. I don't think it is anything new.
    A friend of mine who is a historian once showed me a leaflet distributed during WWII that attempted to help Americans differentiate between the Japanese and Chinese ("enemies vs. friendlies.") The leaflet attempted to explain that while all Asians should be expected to wear glasses, Americans could generally tell the two apart by the frames allegedly favored by each ethnicity. I can't recall how the leaflet broke it down but supposedly one group favored horn rims while the other would wear wire rims or rimless spectacles.

Occupation

Redhot Jumper Asians have always been more nearsighted .......................

Asians have always been more nearsighted. I don't think it is anything new.

That is true. But it also is a fact that in India and other countries around there have many millions of people that never had glasses.

That is true, but E has purchased the largest Indian optical lab chain a few years back and is organizing big changes these days.

The have become the doing good corporation but also increase their sales dramatically.

Occupation
    Hollywood seems to have more influence on our belief systems than all the scientific studies ever conducted. Most of our opinions of other racial and national groups are formed by what we see on the screen. As you may recall, during WWII (the big one) The "JAP" was characterized as a little myopic, buck tooth monkey in civilian movies, military training films and manuals with the intent of dehumanizing him in order to make it easier to kill him.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris Ryser View Post
    That is true. But it also is a fact that in India and other countries around there have many millions of people that never had glasses.

That is true, but E has purchased the largest Indian optical lab chain a few years back and is organizing big changes these days.

The have become the doing good corporation but also increase their sales dramatically.
    Yes, but could it be possible that one or two generations ago, Indians did not receive routine eyecare, and they get more of it now? 100 years ago, they didn't look for their myopes (and neither did we for the most part). In today's world, where education and learning are important, and demands on vision are more critical.... we need to look for vision deficiencies to survive and thrive in a highly competitive world. So, we find more myopia and blame it on education and learning....(or screens and hand held devices).

I will agree that certain eyecwear manufacturers latch onto any shred of evidence that there is some kind of a vision epidemic in order to sell product.
    Last edited by fjpod; 11-25-2016 at 08:05 AM.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    Quote Originally Posted by rbaker View Post
    Hollywood seems to have more influence on our belief systems than all the scientific studies ever conducted. Most of our opinions of other racial and national groups are formed by what we see on the screen. As you may recall, during WWII (the big one) The "JAP" was characterized as a little myopic, buck tooth monkey in civilian movies, military training films and manuals with the intent of dehumanizing him in order to make it easier to kill him.
    Still doesn't change the fact that Asians have always tended to be more myopic than other populations. The movies and WWII didn't make them more myopic.
    Last edited by fjpod; 11-25-2016 at 08:07 AM.

Occupation

Blue Jumper the movies and WWII already reported 70 years ago about the fact ....................

The movies and WWII didn't make them more myopic.

........no they did not, however the movies and WWII already reported 70 years ago about the fact, that seems to be the latest news these days.

Thread Information