Thread: What will 2003 Bring?

Occupation
    Consumer or Non-Eyecare field

What will 2003 Bring?

I read this guys thoughts:

http://www.garethevans.dynamite.com....ummit25x02.htm

And Suddenly felt depressed! (I think we'll only see two of his predictions come true) But I was wondering what things you all expect to see in 2003. (Good and Bad)

Banned
    Only City in the World built over a Volcano
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    More foolish sheenagans and obstrutionism from Tom Daschle.

Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    chip anderson said:
    More foolish sheenagans and obstrutionism from Tom Daschle.
    Tom Daschle!?! Where does it say that?

If anyone disagrees with these predictions then you should state what you disagree with and what your alternative prediction is. It would be intersting to compare these at the end of the year. :)

OptiBoard Administrator
    ----
    OptiBoard has been proudly serving the Eyecare Community since 1995.

Occupation
    Consumer or Non-Eyecare field
    OK, Here are my comments:
    First of all, in regards to Daschle, can I suggest something to the Democratic Party? Your leaders are all idiots. If you expect to have a chance in the next election, Find One person RIGHHT NOW, who is a respected governor, and JUST RUN HIM. Everyone throw all of your support behind him rather than each man for himself right now and then join hands in November 2004. Join Hands NOW. By the way, I predict THAT WONT HAPPEN.

Now then As for the predictions of GARETH EVANS (See Link above) I think he may be close to right on two of them:
    1.) I would not be surprised if the former Soviet Union could be robbed of a dozen or so Nukes. In fact, I would not be surprised if they have already sold them.
    2.) The AIDS epidemic will grow even worse than Gareth Describes.

I dont believe there will be a nuclear exchange in India But I dont predict Peace there Either.
    It wasnt going out on much of a limb for Gareth to Predict Turmoil in the Middle East, but this will happen with or without War.
    The US Economy will either move sideways or slightly up
    Terror Attacks in The US on the scale that we have seen seem to me to be highly unlikely. If they were to occur on a large scale, However, it will be ugly. I see schools and churches as very vulnerable and the thought of something happening in either place makes me very ill.

I know that predicting celebrity deaths is kind of a gruesome thing, but I cant help but think that we will see the passing of both Katherine Hepburn and Ronald Reagan this year.

sub specie aeternitatis Pete Hanlin's Avatar
    Occupation
    Lens Manufacturer
    The predictions in the link are interesting, but here is what I would venture to guess we'll be remembering on 01 January 2004...

1.) The U.N. inspectors will have failed to find a weapon of mass destruction within Iraq. They may find some facilities designed to create such devices, but that is all.

2.) Meanwhile, the American press will assert that the lack of a "smoking gun" precludes any justification for war with Iraq. However, with the massive amounts of troop and equipment transfers that have already taken place, it will be obvious that the American President means to have war with Mr. Hussein.

3.) In a quick, decisive, and terrible conflict, the US will destroy much of the Iraqi infrastructure, but will be unable to find Hussein. America will be effectively alone in their conflict (perhaps the UK will be an ally out of sheer habit). A new regime will be installed that will establish power even though Hussein has not been eliminated.

4.) With the neutralization of Hussein, the other Arab nations will immediately begin to complain about any regime set up by the Americans. Iraqi oil production will begin to flow, causing the members of OPEC some consternation.

5.) Meanwhile, Korea will eventually wrest concessions from the US regarding supplies and trade. This will prove to have been their original goal in making a fuss over nuclear weapons. Through the process, the alliance with South Korea will weaken, and America may even withdraw some troops from the region.

In short, America will effectively find herself with far fewer allies by this time next year.

6.) On the homefront, we will have forgotten much about September 11- only to be reminded halfway through the year when a "dirty bomb" is exploded in a port city. The bomb will arrive via a cargo box or cruise ship.

7.) The stock market will begin to strengthen halfway through the year. President Bush's approval rating will settle around 56% by year's end, and the funeral for Ronald Reagan (in November of 2003) will be a moment of reflection for all Americans.

Might as well make guesses with the rest of them, right? Oh, I also think that Gephart will be the front runner for the Dems as they enter 2004- but he will not be broadly supported by the party, and the eventual candidate will be a fairly obscure figure who is a moderate (a.k.a., a closet liberal). I still think Al Gore stands to play an important role in the next election, but it is difficult to posit just what it may be...
    Pete Hanlin, ABOM
    Vice President Professional Services
    Essilor of America

http://linkedin.com/in/pete-hanlin-72a3a74

Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    More news on global warming (along the lines of the snows of Kilimanjaro bye bye by the end of this decade, what would Papa say??); pension plan defaults by major companies, steel companies most likely; more cloning fits and starts; Yankees back; Bin Laden (remember him?) still at large; US with UN cover will invade Iraq, set up government, non-Shiites will be the new Palestinians after they exit. More fun that a barrel of monkeys!!!

Thread Information