Thread: Titanium "question"

Rising Star
    Occupation
    Optical Retail

Idea

We had a customer come in today and w/out going into the 30 minute "discussion" he had w/ my manager, let me ask you his question.
    What is the coating over a titanium frame?
    He KNOWS it isn't pure titanium because he KNOWS pure titanium is only 1 color straight from the Earth, not gold, silver or tortoise as it is on frames. He bought titaniums a couple years ago, after being promised (I guess) they wouldn't corrode and they corroded...hence, he wants to know what's on the frames and why opti-shops advertise pure titanium when it's obviously not.
    We're not sure what to tell him is on the frames except "PAINT"...anybody got any suggestions??

Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field

I don't know for sure but my guess is that it's likely to be titanium nitride (TiN). RThis is a very hard substance with a metallic gold appearance.

------------------

OptiBoard Administrator

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Frame Manufacturer

Titanium frames are done in Iron Plating Process nowdays in Japan. It is very costly with a few color selections.

There is a new way from Italy recently. The plating company would suck out all oxygen from the plating solution first and then apply the regular eletro-dipping process as normal. Gold and silver colors can be plated this way.

Andrea!

Not knowing the " plating process "
    that involves titanium ( frames ) I can only suggest checking into ( for consumer and for the optical retailers benefit ) " the ISO 9002 Certificate which guarantees lasting conformity and quality "...I picked this info out of one of the trade journals ( 20/20 )...also I know that a few frame manufacturers are now issueing " Certificates Of Authenticity " to titanium frame buyers showing that on the temple pieces there is stamped 100% Titanium!...
    Now, grant it, there are some fine frames coming out of places like Italy, Japan etc.,
    In my view, when the customer needs to be reassured of the quality he/she is spending big bucks on, this may also conquer any customer service situations and also may give you some recourse with the frame manufacturers with regard to the buying aspect.

EyeCon

OptiBoard Apprentice

Let me guess.... an engineer?

The thing that I was unaware of until recently is that just because it says "titanium" doesn't mean the whole frame is titanium. Alot of them are titanium fronts with metal temples, hence the higher risk for corrosion at the temple area. Or they are a low percentage of titanium. I have since make a point to look at every frame catalog to make sure of the titanium content before I make any promises to the patient.

Thumbs down

This is very true, There are not, at this time any standards that require any set amount of titanium to be in a frame. Some frames say titanium on the demo-lens but are posibly only 50% Titanium mixed with another base metal (nickel, stainless) these frames often do not have the airie feeling that 100% titanium frames exhibit...So buyer beware

Roy

Occupation
    Frame Manufacturer

All right, Guys. There is a factory makes pure titanium parts in Japan. Please take a look at their web.

www2.interbroad.or.jp/taketana/

They can tell you who manufactures 100% titanium frames.

Bad address email on file stephanie's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Redhot Jumper

Wow, now that is amazing. Manufacturing titanium with nickel. Isn't nickel the metal most people with metal allergies are allergic to? Well in essence we are doing them no service if the frame is not made of pure titanium are we? That is the first I had ever heard that. So what are we supposed to sell these people...just zyl? Sorry don't mean to sound stupid here, but I hate feeling like I have been doing pts wrong.
    Steph

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Exclamation

Try Charmant Titanium. That's my titanium of choice, its very reasonably priced and I've never seen anyone return with a reaction. Silhouette NG or Minimal Art, although not 100% titanium, contains no nickel. I've had mine for over a year and it looks and feels like it did the day I got them.
    I was once told that some of the frames advertised as 100% titanium actually have a certain quantity of nickel in the enamel/finish (don't know the reliability of this statement as it came from a rep criticizing the quality of a competitor's product but it makes sense given the condition I've seen some matte-finish titanium frames).

Master OptiBoarder Joann Raytar's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Question

"Flexon is an alloy of titanium and nickel." From MArchon's web site at:
    http://www.marchon.com/HTML/flexon_whatisflexon.html

Even Flexon is listed as being "Corrosion-Resistant" not corrosion-proof.

Hmm, reps always said Flexon would not corrode ...

Banned
    Only City in the World built over a Volcano
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Once upon a time Flexon used words like: "Unbreakable" and "Lifetime Warranty"

Cape Codger OptiBoard Gold Supporter hcjilson's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Hello All,
    The original Oxford and Cambridge series from Systech were 100% titainium.You needed a couple of weeks in a strength training program to adjust the pad arms. :) Those lines now say "nickel free titainium"but no longer say 100% Titainium, and are much easier to adjust.They must have changed the metal in the pad arms. I have had a great deal of success with them.best from the Cape,

------------------
    Harry J

[This message has been edited by hcjilson (edited 11-06-2000).]

pure titanium

i am doing to agree with cindy, on her choice of charmant as your choice for titanium frames. i was a sales rep for 15 yrs for a company that distributed charmant. the standards and processing that they use i found to be the best.

I remeber taking a class sometime back where the speaker said that the color of titinium was changed by placing it into a vaccum and exposing it to different gases.

Occupation
    Frame Manufacturer
    ken@foothills said:----I remeber taking a class sometime back where the speaker said that the color of titinium was changed by placing it into a vaccum and exposing it to different gases.

Yes, Ironic plating.

Bad address email on file Mikol's Avatar

Titanium........

When I started in the biz we would paint titanium frames useing an acid wash primer that would help the paint adhere........ We carry pure titanium , alpha titanium as well as beta titanium frames. Pure titanium I believe can be colored through an anodization process ( titanium jewelry for instance) the alpha and betas have a % of aluminum added and the alloy can now be plated. The plateing adheres to the aluminum.

I hope this helps...............

Mikol

OptiBoard Novice

titanium jewelry

Ever had titanium rings for engagement purpose?? A friend of mine did that last week for his engagement! The ring was really nice!! I wonder if you have ever used that for engagements..coz itz the 1st time I saw that.

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter Jubilee's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I gave my husband a titanium band for a wedding ring. It had held up to his lab antics and stil looks great.

Cassandra
    "Some believe in destiny, and some believe in fate. But I believe that happiness is something we create."-Something More by Sugarland

Thread Information