Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I'm sure this has been posted and discussed at lenght, but just in case it hasn't...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I'm sure this has been posted and discussed at lenght, but just in case it hasn't...

Ophthalmic Optician, Society to Advance Opticianry

That's not something I ever would have expected to see.

Comment

It makes perfect sense. The extremely low wages cause huge financial stress at home. By comparison, the relative low stress level at work makes it seem like a great job.
      Sent from my BlackBerry® wireless device

Comment

Gee, I never realized how much I was overpaying my opticians. $35k? What a bargain!

Comment

wtf

Comment

Forget the article....read the comments! (Looks like the Optoboarders have started posting)

Ron 1 hour ago 0

OMG: I can tell you that after 40 years of working as an optician the stress level of dealing with people was intense much of the time. There is little job security and many jobs are part time. License demands require continuing education that the optician pays for .I never met an optician who was happy with his or her work and I've met many as I've been active in my state and local societies.

Comment

Alright fess up! Who posted comments on that article and what did you say?

OptiBoard Administrator
              ----
              OptiBoard has been proudly serving the Eyecare Community since 1995.

Comment

I wonder who Capt. Ron is!
                Eyes wide open

Comment

He was in the wrong circles - NEVER met one who was happy? Poor guy :(

Comment

Quite an interesting read.....the comments that is, the article made me giggle!

Comment

It's unfortunate but all the "opticians" who are complaining about how terrible their job is, are really not complaining about being an optician at all, they are complaining about being corporate tools. Working for a retail optical is only tangentially being an optician. One is really just a salesperson (and that's exactly all the company wants from you), and the sprocket you happen to be selling is eyeglasses. All the downsides of that are the downsides of retail sales, not of being an optician.

I spent years in that scene. That was my first experience with the optical business, and like the commenters, I thought that was being an optician. But now I know my ability to be an optician in that setting was very limited. There were only a handful of products at my disposal, picked and private label rebranded by corporate, and every customer had to be wedged into one of those options. As far as product knowledge it would be more challenging to work at Radio Shack.

Opticians will never be free of dealing with the public and wrangling with fees, but in a decent office where you can gain skills and use them, and build relationships with patients instead of manning a revolving door of one-shot customers, most of those retail headaches melt away.
                      www.DanielLivingston.com

Comment

I agree with you Daniel Livingston. Private practices or owning an optique are very rewarding and good place to learn many life/business skills. The pay isn't very attractive in todays economy unless maybe you a an owner of successful optique. However, I don't think that opticianry should be the "most recommended job" either. Maybe moderately recommended but not #1

Comment

Thanks Erich. It is telling and interesting that even if the top ranking is inflated, it is the best ranked for the (meager) pay. Certainly being an optician has a limited monetary ceiling, but unspoilt by corporate retailing it can be very satisfying.

I wonder how many successful optical owners still really get to be opticians. I'm sure the pressures and concerns of business ownership pretty heavily eclipse the daily work of an optician. On Optiboard we enjoy the insights of many skilled owners who still get their hands deep into opticianry, but my experience suggests such pros are rare gems far from the norm.

I would recommend opticianry to friends, but only if they prioritize fulfillment. I am fortunate to have trained and work with two opticians who like their jobs (love is a pretty strong statement) and have found fulfillment in it as I do.

Regardless of the accuracy of the poll, it's nice to see our more obscure discipline get some positive light.
                          www.DanielLivingston.com

Comment

Originally posted by DanLiv View Post
                            Thanks Erich. It is telling and interesting that even if the top ranking is inflated, it is the best ranked for the (meager) pay. Certainly being an optician has a limited monetary ceiling, but unspoilt by corporate retailing it can be very satisfying.
                            The pay is limited by the optician's abilities. These abilities are not limited to their skill set, but also their ability to position themselves in the marketplace to get the best pay possible. I know of at least 3 Optiboarders that make well over $80k, and I'm sure there are many more folks like them out there. (I prefer to associate with higher paid opticians, so I have a better chance of not having to pay my bar tab.)

Comment

Originally posted by Johns View Post
                              The pay is limited by the optician's abilities. These abilities are not limited to their skill set, but also their ability to position themselves in the marketplace to get the best pay possible.
                              Exactly this. Even in an unlicensed state such as mine if you are smart enough to educate and market yourself and with a little luck you will make more than 35K a year, usually quite a bit more.

Comment

Working...
                              X