Why is nobody talking about HIPPA ? I know it's been coming for some time now, but I called 5 O.D. offices today, and they all said they filed extensions, but none of the stafff actually know what it was all about.

From the sounds of it, it is all-encompassing, to include providers of any medical service or product. Right now it seems to be focussing on electronic information, but soon it will cover all office procedures relating to patient privacy.

If this plays out the way they say, I don't see how you can discuss someone's Rx with them in a dispensary, unless you are alone with the patient. They say that we will have to have the file room locked, w/ locks on the cabinets, and the keys to those locked. The receptionist will not be able to view any information unless it pertains to them checking in or out. All other info. is for the doctor only, and even then, only those files that relate to the issue at hand. (???)

I went to my dentist Tuesday, and they have to remodel their office because the walls are too thin, and you can hear the drill being used from the other rooms. (Who hasn't heard that?) They already have filters covering all their computer screens, and they took me into an isolated room to ask me if anything had changed w/ my health since the last visit.

How could our lobbyists such as NFIB, AAO, AOA, AMA, etc... let such a law go into effect.

FYI: I called HIPPA, and they said that it was uneccesary to file that extension (how many did anyway?) that was due before midnight on October 16, 2002, unless you have more than 10 employees on staff.

You think OSHA is bad ? It sounds like this new goverment fundraiser is going to make OSHA and the EPA look like a cakewalk.

Of course, all you large multi-practice folks are probably up on all this, but most of my peers look at me like I'm speaking another language when I mention it to them.

Can anyone enlighten us ?

-Johns