Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lenses only

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Stick out tongue Lenses only

An optical shop that only sells lenses. People purchase their fashion frames wherever they want at the best price they can get. Do you think a shop like that could survive? Flourish? Discussion......

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Personally I'd be worried about people bringing in counterfeit frames and/or stolen frames for you to glaze, with a 'no questions asked policy'. Unless you plan to ask questions!
    Last edited by standarduck; 01-10-2014 at 11:34 AM.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Since its a lenses only shop you don't have to be concerned about the frames (except for fit and seg heights). Your skill as an OPTICIAN and the lens products and coatings are how you would build the business. Sooo... probably "no questions asked" on the frames

Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    One potential obstacle is if you damage the frame. Even when you warn people that this may happen and you are not responsible for third-party frames, they will still make your life miserable.

OptiBoard Administrator
    ----
    OptiBoard has been proudly serving the Eyecare Community since 1995.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    This is true...but doesn't happen very often. Pt's could sign release forms...

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    In terms of not being concerned, is 'handle stolen goods' not a crime in the US?

EDIT: To clarify - I'm not accusing, I'm just asking :)

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    The optician in this shop would not know how the frame was acquired. I'm not sure if it would be the opticians responsibility to determine ownership only to properly glaze and adjust said frame. That being said...I understand your concern. I assume it would be okay to glaze any frame as long as this optician was not selling a stolen frame

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Why would you want to cut out a large part of your revenue by dropping frames?
    Not a good idea IMO.

Regards,
    Golfnorth

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Frames require square footage to display....Frames bring in the fashion aspect (branding) of the industry....Branded Frames require a huge chunk of capitol to purchase....Frames can be purchased on line for relatively inexpensively compared to B&M shops. (basically lowering overhead and making opticianry the focus of the business). That is a great point though....frames are a good portion of revenue. The cost of displays and an inventory probably deter many from opening a shop. Great discussion!

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    My lens revenue is 3 times my frame revenue, yet frames take up 3/4 of my space. So, if one could maintain the same number of lenses sold and have much less space to do it in, yes it would work. But I doubt you'd be able to maintain lens sales without having frames.

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter Java99's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I think it would be better done online than B&M. People care way more about frames than lenses, even though we know it should be the other way around.

Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor
    Quote Originally Posted by standarduck View Post
    In terms of not being concerned, is 'handle stolen goods' not a crime in the US?

EDIT: To clarify - I'm not accusing, I'm just asking :)
    Knowingly handling stolen goods may be a crime.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Java99 View Post
    I think it would be better done online than B&M. People care way more about frames than lenses, even though we know it should be the other way around.
    Frames could be purchased online

Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor
    I see this as a good opportunity for a SKILLED optician to offer a unique service. Just imagine not having to try to please all the weirdo's that cross your threshold and the freedom not to have to tell them that "those frames are you". No longer will you have to deal with frame salespeople, returns or cleaning a million frames. Just be sure that whatever frame they bring in is appropriate for the lenses that they want and is a proper fit. Might also just free you from having to deal with those pesky insurance plans.

As far as breaking the customers frame just reserve the discretion not to try to glaze any crap and tack on a few extra bucks to all lens prices to handle the occasional breakage.

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter Java99's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by tx11 View Post
    Frames could be purchased online
    Yup, but frames are a draw to get people in the door. Lenses are somewhat intangible and a harder sell.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I think it could work. You go out and buy whatever car you want, then take it somewhere else for when you need new tires. And much like eyeglass lenses, all tires technically do the same job, roll, but some are much better quality, or catered to certain uses, performances and activities. I think the only draw back would be creating traffic. Frames are the flash that catches the patient's eye, and brings them in. Nobody ever comes in to an optical and says, "I'm just looking at your lens options." They come in to try on frames, and then figure out what budget they have left for lenses -like Java99 said, most people care way more about the frames.

It would be a bit of a niche, but if you find your patient base, I think it could work. People like to either get a package deal to save money and time, or pick and choose from various merchants, to build their own deal. Those type of people, who try a frame on at a B&M, then buy it online, and then shop around for an RX deal, will love this.

It's all about demographic research, and marketing yourself. I suggest one of those amazingly cheesy info-mercials.. "Tired of going to pushy salesman to try on overpriced eyeglasses, only to find out you have to pay extra for lenses?? Now you can bring your own frames to TX11, and get just the lenses you need, saving you hundreds of dollars!"
    Patient, ".. Doctor says I have a subscription for stigmata.. Can you fill that?"
    Me, "..Um.. "

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    you guys are great...thanks for making this an interesting thread!

OptiBoard Professional OptiBoard Silver Supporter eryn's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Interesting idea... but I find lots of people choose wildly inappropriate frames when you look at the rx. Example someone walks in with a frame b box 20 and wants a progressive or a -8.00 brings in a 62 eye size. I think helping people choose an appropriate frame really makes the lens (and shows off your knowledge). I would hate to lose that much control over the finished product.
    ~ Erin
    ABOC

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    some days I feel like I'm in the lenses only business!

OptiBoard Professional
    Occupation
    Optical Laboratory Technician
    I think your idea is brilliant. Check out eyeglasslensdirect.com. It is an online version of what you are suggesting, and it is doing quite well. You send them your frame and they put in whatever lenses you select from their extensive offering that includes most top brands at discount prices. When you order from them there is no discussion about whether your frame are stolen, and you don't have to sign any release. The frame can be new or old.
    The only problem with ordering from them is that if you don't know how to adjust them when they arrive, you have to go beg someone in an optical shop to do it. With your idea, you can give them first rate service and make sure everything is as it should be. Go for it!

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Seg heights, OCs, PDs, wrap and PA...all important...all taken and accomplished by a trained optician. Plus there are a few relatively inexpensive "house brand" FF PALs that are pretty good and fit down to a low,low 13mm. Low cost ----low overhead----lower retail price....maybe gain market share??????

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by oxmoon View Post
    I think your idea is brilliant. Check out eyeglasslensdirect.com. It is an online version of what you are suggesting, and it is doing quite well. You send them your frame and they put in whatever lenses you select from their extensive offering that includes most top brands at discount prices. When you order from them there is no discussion about whether your frame are stolen, and you don't have to sign any release. The frame can be new or old.
    The only problem with ordering from them is that if you don't know how to adjust them when they arrive, you have to go beg someone in an optical shop to do it. With your idea, you can give them first rate service and make sure everything is as it should be. Go for it!
    So, I checked out eyeglasslensdirect.com and its brilliant how they handle pricing. They give the "retail" and then their pricing. The retail is a tremendous markup and the our price is what most opticals sell lenses for. Clever foxes. I agree, it would depend on how you market yourself, your online presence, your business savvy, your connections, the zenith of the sun, the square root of the hypotenuse, and the event horizon of the nearest black hole. If all planets align, then I think you'll be successful. But seriously, in small chain or independent opticals, most are very happy to have customers buy lenses for old frames without buying new ones. Personally, I'd rather capture some revenue then have a patient leave because I wouldn't use their frame.

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter Now I See's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by CME4SPECS View Post
    some days I feel like I'm in the lenses only business!
    Me too! I was looking over my numbers from years past and MAN, do I do alot of lenses only! Unlike some others, I don't make as much on lenses as I do on frames (but that's a whole other topic! ) I think I do alot because I'm the only one in town who will work with a patient's own frame. I don't mind using patient's own frame, but I do feel more stress...I'm always more paranoid about breakage when it's their own frame (even if the patient says they don't care if it breaks) vs. one that I know is new and I can replace if need be. What if someone comes in with a frame that doesn't work with their RX? It would be wise to have frames available as an alternative.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    +1

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    How's this concept: an eyeglass shop that only sells alcohol, so when people come and and complain about their ten year old glasses, you can pour them and yourself a drink, and send them down the street.

Thread Information