Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Consumer in W.Mass looking for optician to help w/ mild distance Rx in heavy wrap.

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Consumer or Non-Eyecare field

Consumer in W.Mass looking for optician to help w/ mild distance Rx in heavy wrap.

Hi all,

Like the title says, I am looking for an optician within striking distance of Western Massachusetts to help me get my prescription in something like a Native Dash XP and/or Ray Ban Olympic. Not looking for online help, but to come in and do business with someone who can do heavy wrap properly.

Thanks for any help,
    -Mark

Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor
    Why not try the Yellow Pages and make a few phone calls.

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by rbaker View Post
    Why not try the Yellow Pages and make a few phone calls.
    What makes you think I haven't?

So far, I've gotten blank stares, "those are the frames we can do"(pointing to frames that don't accomplish what I'm after), and "We can do it, but you'll be wasting your money". So I went on line to do some research and get some insight in to the issues, found this forum, found some posts by people on this forum that led me to believe what I want can be accomplished, called one of them (who unfortunately is about a six hour drive from my home), and that person recommended I post here to find someone in my area.

So I see your location says Massachusetts. Do you happen to know anyone in the area who has experience/success with this sort of work?

Banned
    Occupation
    Ophthalmic Technician
    And optical professionals wonder why consumers are driven to make internet purchases...

Banned
    Occupation
    Ophthalmic Technician
    Quote Originally Posted by dingbat View Post
    Hi all,

Like the title says, I am looking for an optician within striking distance of Western Massachusetts to help me get my prescription in something like a Native Dash XP and/or Ray Ban Olympic. Not looking for online help, but to come in and do business with someone who can do heavy wrap properly.

Thanks for any help,
    -Mark
    Mark, more than likely you are going to have to travel to the 'big city' to find what you need. Albany NY, Hartford CT, maybe Springfield or Worcester MA. Based on what you've written, you are going to have to find a dispenser that works closely with a specialty lab that can do minus power wraps.

My suggestions would be to expand your search area. You know what you want and you shouldn't have to "settle" for something less unless there is a solid optical reason for it. And only a professional optical dispenser can tell you that.

Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    Any independent optical can do it, 99% of them wont be doing it in house anyway.

They may not think it's possible but the lab will be the one doing the work, Just verify their wholesale lab has an M.E.I. Edger and you'll be ok if your rx is mild.

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter SharonB's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Try EyeDentity in Albany, also DiNapoli Opticians in Albany - If you are in the Berkshires area the drive is not too far!
    Lost and confused in an optical wonderland!

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Are there significant differences between labs, or are most of them up to date with shaping lenses to compensate for wrap/rake so the peripheral isn't all screwy?

One eye sees, the other feels OptiBoard Silver Supporter
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    "We can do it, but you'll be wasting your money".
    That might be the best advice you've received so far.

I would recommend that you contact one of the Opticians recommended by SharonB.
    Science is a way of trying not to fool yourself. - Richard P. Feynman

Experience is the hardest teacher. She gives the test before the lesson.

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    First off, Thank you all for the replies here and private messages. They have been very helpful.

I found a place fairly local that seems a little better than most I've spoken with. He quoted me a price for, and is willing to do, lenses in the Olympics. He told me the lab is called Hoya, and the lenses they would do are called Autograph II Attitude in Trivex (sp?).

Am I on the right track?

I got the impression that this shop has some experience doing wraps, but nothing as severe as what I'm after. Assuming the lab and product are the right stuff, what should I be concerned about going wrong on the shop's end of things? It'll take some saving up, but I could stomach shelling out the price quoted if it works like I am hoping. It's a hell of a lot for something that ends up being marginal though.

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by Robert Martellaro View Post
    That might be the best advice you've received so far.

I would recommend that you contact one of the Opticians recommended by SharonB.
    Thanks. I think that's my next move if this somewhat local option doesn't seem like it will pan out.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    First off, Thank you all for the replies here and private messages. They have been very helpful.

I found a place fairly local that seems a little better than most I've spoken with. He quoted me a price for, and is willing to do, lenses in the Olympics. He told me the lab is called Hoya, and the lenses they would do are called Autograph II Attitude in Trivex (sp?).

Am I on the right track?

I got the impression that this shop has some experience doing wraps, but nothing as severe as what I'm after. Assuming the lab and product are the right stuff, what should I be concerned about going wrong on the shop's end of things? It'll take some saving up, but I could stomach shelling out the price quoted if it works like I am hoping. It's a hell of a lot for something that ends up being marginal though.

I suggest that you proceed with caution and continue your search!

Banned
    Occupation
    Ophthalmic Technician
    Dingbat, Fezz is correct. Your questions so far have been within the rules of the forum, but your last one is very close to the line. You really need to be working in person with a dispensing optician to answer most of your questions and resolve your problems.

Compulsive Truthteller OptiBoard Gold Supporter Uncle Fester's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Mark- Are you willing to accept some compromise to vision with this steep based and very expensive lens?

Would you insist on a refund if vision wasn't up to your expectations?

Just my sixth sense but I'm not sure I'd envy the optician doing this for this non ECP poster.
    Last edited by Uncle Fester; 08-14-2013 at 09:16 AM. Reason: tweak...

Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeAurelius View Post
    Dingbat, Fezz is correct. Your questions so far have been within the rules of the forum, but your last one is very close to the line. You really need to be working in person with a dispensing optician to answer most of your questions and resolve your problems.
    that's exactly what he wants to do. He wants us to direct him to a place...good luck.

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeAurelius View Post
    My apologies. Thanks for the heads-up. I have been visiting opticians. Unfortunately, on the phone I'm getting the impression that they can handle what I'm after, but when I walk through the door, I find that they really don't have experience with wraps that go this far. I am continuing to make phone calls and visit stores. I came here on the recommendation of one of your members in the hope that it would cut down on my search time.

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Fester View Post
    Mark- Are you willing to accept some compromise to vision with this steep based and very expensive lens?

Would you insist on a refund if vision wasn't up to your expectations?

Just my sixth sense but I'm not sure I'd envy the optician doing this for this non ECP poster.
    I could see why you might get that impression.

Accept compromise? Sure, so long as I know what the compromises are before committing to them. So far, I haven't found anyone who has actual experience selling (dispensing?) a product with this much wrap. Also, this is my first prescription. I am looking to replace non-Rx eyewear that performs a specific function in the way of wind/sun/glare protection with minimal reduction to my field of view. If it can't be done, fine, then I've got a decision to make. It seems to me there are products on the market that claim to accomplish what I want. I'd like to work with someone who has experienced how they actually work in this application.

Insist on a refund if it's not up to my expectations? Ugly thought. I understand that every case is different and there's bound to be some risk on my end. Who has actually done this sort of work and can give me and experience based understanding of what that risk is? That's what I'm after.

Not sure I'd envy them either.

(If there's anything in this post that crosses the line, please let me know and I'll edit it out)

Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor
    As I understand the problem, you want a pair of glasses that no one seems too willing to fabricate that will, at best, provide you with an unknown degree of compromised vision. Why?
    Last edited by rbaker; 08-14-2013 at 12:44 PM.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I'm sure there is someone somewhere that can do it, but my concern would be the part where you said, "..this is my first prescription.." Some patients are extremely sensitive to changes in their vision, and even certain manufacturing materials, and techniques. Other's can accomadate to almost anything, and don't mind the potential compromises involved in specialty eyewear. Have you filled the prescription in a traditional clear/dress pair yet? If not, then I would start there first, simply to give yourself a point of reference to base the potential issues with such a highly wrapped sun pair. The switching from no rx to rx, or from standard wrap to high wrap can stress your eyes and make it harder to adjust to the rx, particularly for a newbie to rx eyewear.
    Patient, ".. Doctor says I have a subscription for stigmata.. Can you fill that?"
    Me, "..Um.. "

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by vcom View Post
    I'm sure there is someone somewhere that can do it, but my concern would be the part where you said, "..this is my first prescription.." Some patients are extremely sensitive to changes in their vision, and even certain manufacturing materials, and techniques. Other's can accomadate to almost anything, and don't mind the potential compromises involved in specialty eyewear. Have you filled the prescription in a traditional clear/dress pair yet? If not, then I would start there first, simply to give yourself a point of reference to base the potential issues with such a highly wrapped sun pair. The switching from no rx to rx, or from standard wrap to high wrap can stress your eyes and make it harder to adjust to the rx, particularly for a newbie to rx eyewear.
    Ding Ding Ding!!!
    (pardon the double entendre.)

Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    This is starting to veer off into actual vision and medical advice. The OP needs to discuss this with a competent eyecare professional. We cannot get involved in providing the kind of advice he is now asking for.

OptiBoard Administrator
    ----
    OptiBoard has been proudly serving the Eyecare Community since 1995.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Machol View Post
    This is starting to veer off into actual vision and medical advice. The OP needs to discuss this with a competent eyecare professional. We cannot get involved in providing the kind of advice he is now asking for.
    Can I sneak this in?

Ryser's Rule- The success of a progressive is proportional to the motivation of a patient to wear it.

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by vcom View Post
    Ahh, yes.....I don't have them yet, but yes, I filled the prescription in a traditional frame. I did not plan to pull the trigger on this without making sure the Rx worked for me first. I've been in non-Rx heavy wraps (Native Dash XP) for years now and I rely on them for certain work and play activities. Just hoping to get the same function with improved vision If possible. I'm starting to get the feeling the only way to find out is spend the money and eat the loss if it's not. Not sure my vision is bad enough to take that gamble. Maybe I'll feel differently once these specs. come in.....

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Machol View Post
    Sorry, I'm done.

Thanks for your help everyone.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I'm starting to get the feeling the only way to find out is spend the money and eat the loss if it's not. Not sure my vision is bad enough to take that gamble.
    And we in the optical business have done this for years, take the gamble. Take the gamble that we can please the patient. Then when we attempt to and they turn out to be a hypochondriac and we make over lenses several times trying to appease them it eats into our bottom line much less any kind of profit. It cost time to spend with the patient then turn on the power equipment wear and tear on machines pay someone or someone's to attempt to produce something that the consumer may or may not like. We then have several pair of lenses with a Rx made ONLY for that one patient and no one else can use them. And then people wonder why the cost of eyeglasses are so much.
    Some patients expect ALL there money back knowing that it has cost us time and money to try to appease them. Some understand only getting back part of it after we have deducted our expenses for trying to help them.
    With all the new equipment that has come out to make glasses with the expense of that equipment has been passed on to us in the business who in turn have to pass it on to the consumer. Trust me there is NOT a big mark up in lenses. It is shameful how little is made on the lenses. We have to turn a LOT of lenses to pay for millions of dollars of equipment and inventory.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I would just like to say how refreshing it is to see "nice" responses for a change. Kudos OB professionals!!!

Thread Information