Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: X-Cel Optical gobbled up by Big E

Banned
    Occupation
    Ophthalmic Technician
    Quote Originally Posted by Zaphod Beeblebrox View Post
    Why are you all so pi$ed at Essilor?! You can't buy something that's not on the market "for sale".

X-Cell sold out, as did a lot of other labs. Why didn't Essilor buy Zeiss when Zeiss were in financial trouble? Because Zeiss was not "for sale".

Why didn't Essilor buy Hoya? Because Hoya was not "for sale".

Why didn't Essilor buy Tokai? Because Tokai was not "for sale".

Do you get the pattern here?

The fact is that a lot of lens companies were for sale… and Essilor had the spare change.

So before blaming the big bad Essilor, you might want to look at the independents who sold out first.
    how much Essilor stock do you own "Zaphod Beeblebrox"? Interesting choice of a name, a character with two heads, and someone who sold out his presidency and stole a starship...

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Mike, I agree with Zap. Blame E all you want, but X-Cell (and everyone else they've bought) "sold out." If you want to get mad at somebody/(thing) complain about the indy's that ARE selling out to them. ( And no, I don't work for E.)

Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    What I would like to know is why aren't the companies that are for sale known about until after E buys them?? Are they listed as 'For Sale' somewhere?? Wall street Journal, NY Times, etc. Is there something 'fishy' going on??

OptiBoardaholic
    Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by Jacqui View Post
    What I would like to know is why aren't the companies that are for sale known about until after E buys them?? Are they listed as 'For Sale' somewhere?? Wall street Journal, NY Times, etc. Is there something 'fishy' going on??
    I wouldn't imagine the best companies to buy need a for sale sign, you just need the cash and the moxie to make an offer.

Manuf. Lens Surface Treatments
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor

Hubert Sagnières, Chairman and Chief Executive Officer...............................

Our strategy

HubertSagnières, Chairman and Chief Executive Officer, explains Essilor's strategy

To allow as many people as possible to see well to improve their quality of life

To succeed in this mission and ensure the Group's long-term development, Essilor has established a growth strategy based on four main pillars: innovation, conquest of the middle of the range, international growth via acquisitions and stimulation of demand to increase market size.

• Innovation at all levels - products, services and marketing - is the driving force behind our strategy and the basis for the quality of our relationship with our customers, whether optical professionals or wearers.
    • We are also working to conquer the middle of the range, in developed countries, but especially in high-growth countries where the middle classes' standard of living is increasing, marking a real change in market scale.
    • We are pursuing a policy of acquisitions and partnerships with prescription laboratories and distributors, to increase our market share and strengthen our networks around the world.
    • Finally, we also conduct initiatives at a very early stage in the value chain to offer information, check-ups and supply lenses, in regions of the world where access to optical care is difficult.

copied from ---------------------> http://www.essilor.com/en/Group/OurS...s/default.aspx

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeAurelius View Post
    how much Essilor stock do you own "Zaphod Beeblebrox"? Interesting choice of a name, a character with two heads, and someone who sold out his presidency and stole a starship...
    Badmouthing a nickname (from a comic sci-fi radio character no less...) while conveniently sidestepping the stated argument. Seriously?!

I may dislike Essilor as much as your average OptiBoarder, but my emotions do not preclude me from calling things as i see them.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    When you have a spare billion or two in the bank and competent "Mergers and Acquisitions" people you find things out.

I assume some people are payed top bucks for industrial intelligence gathering, monitoring the financial situation of desirable companies worldwide etc...

Pretty standard stuff actually.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    When you have a spare billion or two in the bank and competent "Mergers and Acquisitions" people you find things out.

I assume some people are payed top bucks for industrial intelligence gathering, monitoring the financial situation of desirable companies worldwide etc...

Pretty standard stuff actually.
    I was about to say, that sounds like business as usual here in the US of A. Thats how companies (or people, 'cause apparently corporations are people too, lol) make the big bucks.
    "Strictly speaking, there are no enlightened beings; only enlightened activity." -Shunryu Suzuki

OptiBoardaholic
    Occupation
    Lens Manufacturer
    Why are you all so pi$ed at Essilor?! You can't buy something that's not on the market "for sale".

X-Cell sold out, as did a lot of other labs. Why didn't Essilor buy Zeiss when Zeiss were in financial trouble? Because Zeiss was not "for sale".

Why didn't Essilor buy Hoya? Because Hoya was not "for sale".

Why didn't Essilor buy Tokai? Because Tokai was not "for sale".

Do you get the pattern here?

The fact is that a lot of lens companies were for sale… and Essilor had the spare change.

So before blaming the big bad Essilor, you might want to look at the independents who sold out first.
    I think it is naive to say the companies that Essilor bought were simply "for sale", some of them may have been but not all. Some of the businesses that they bought were coerced to sell. Essilor or any huge conglomerate has many ways to throw their weight around to convince you to sell.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by Plausible View Post
    I wouldn't imagine the best companies to buy need a for sale sign, you just need the cash and the moxie to make an offer.
    Essilor and Hoya both made us an offer and we turned them both down. It would have meant a really nice car, a boat, a second house in an exotic location...
    But we said "no thanks". It also means giving up what I love to do.

I can't say I would never not sell though, honestly (the decision is not only mine). We are growing fast, and worth more every year. If they made a better offer we would consider it depending not only on the $ but also what my non-compete clause would be. I don't want to work for either company though, I wouldn't want to be a partner. Its just business, really.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Ocular Dexter View Post
    I think it is naive to say the companies that Essilor bought were simply "for sale", some of them may have been but not all. Some of the businesses that they bought were coerced to sell. Essilor or any huge conglomerate has many ways to throw their weight around to convince you to sell.
    Do you think Essilor would be allowed to "coerce" lets say Tokai - Japan to sell? Do you think their "weight" and money would matter in the slightest?

The Japanese would kick their a$$ out so swiftly (and politely as Japanese tend to) that they won't be able to say a single bonjour…

Sometimes it is just not about money.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Essilor comes into our office twice a year without an invitation, and Hoya about once a year, and they a higher and higher amount every time.

You don't have to be "for sale". But even if you are "for sale" most companies don't make it public because its bad for business.

Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    I remember being at SOLA when Essilor started buying up wholesale labs. At the time many of us believed that they were making a big mistake and that the other wholesale labs would see this as a threat and unite against them. The fact is that we were wrong - very wrong. Not only did wholesale labs not fight back, it soon became apparent that a large number of lab owners wanted that big check for themselves. This is America, and sadly in America money talks louder than anything else.

OptiBoard Administrator
    ----
    OptiBoard has been proudly serving the Eyecare Community since 1995.

Manuf. Lens Surface Treatments
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor

Redhot Jumper in America money talks louder ..........................

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Machol View Post

This is America, and sadly in America money talks louder than anything else.

It actually started in Germany and Switzerland so America is not the only one, it has a world wide ripple effect.

Banned
    Occupation
    Ophthalmic Technician
    I've been hearing whispers over the past couple of days, nothing that I can put my finger on, but "something" is happening and there might be some blowback and unintended consequences. There comes a point when the FTC and the Justice Department start to get interested when one company owns and/or controls a significant portion of a manufacturing sector in the US. Especially when the owner/controller is a foreign-owned company.

The next couple of months should be interesting, to say the least.

Occupation
    I've been hearing whispers over the past couple of days, nothing that I can put my finger on, but "something" is happening and there might be some blowback and unintended consequences. There comes a point when the FTC and the Justice Department start to get interested when one company owns and/or controls a significant portion of a manufacturing sector in the US. Especially when the owner/controller is a foreign-owned company.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

They are going after the Big Boy Oil Companies?

Banned
    Occupation
    Ophthalmic Technician
    Quote Originally Posted by Fezz View Post
    They are going after the Big Boy Oil Companies?
    LOL you know better than that. Waaay too expensive and they have very deep pockets.

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Gold Supporter Judy Canty's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I've heard a whisper or two about EyeMed creating it's own lab system using ELOA. Time will tell.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Judy Canty View Post
    I've heard a whisper or two about EyeMed creating it's own lab system using ELOA. Time will tell.

I've been hearing that also. It makes sense. What I find odd though is why would Hoya give certain discounts when processing Eyemed jobs thru them. Where would this leave Hoya?

Do the ELOA labs also offer higher discounts when processing Eyemed jobs?

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Bidding war?

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by Judy Canty View Post
    Its not a whisper, its announced in another thread a week ago.

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter Jubilee's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Several labs offer a discount for Eyemed to get the lab work. By offering a better price, making the plan a bit more profitable for the office.. the lab is hoping to win the rest of your work as well.

While Eyemed has promoted the ELOA network as having this discount, many other labs match.
    "Some believe in destiny, and some believe in fate. But I believe that happiness is something we create."-Something More by Sugarland

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Mike , Its a good discussion, and making fun of fictional characters is not like you. Plus, it was a fast starship, if it was me, I would have stolen it too.

Thread Information