Thread: New Tunes on Youtube

Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field

New Tunes on Youtube

As a child of the 60s and 70s, I have enjoyed the Old Tunes on Youtube thread started by DragonLensmanWV. But my taste in music does not stop with the music I grew up with. So I thought I'd start one highlighting newer music and bands. The first video is an infectious song by The Black Keys called 'Lonely Boy':

I highly recommend the album this song appears in - 'El Camino'. There is not a weak or bad song on it.

OptiBoard Administrator
    ----
    OptiBoard has been proudly serving the Eyecare Community since 1995.

Occupation
    Optical Laboratory Technician
    Pwrsonally, I go for some John Butler

http://youtu.be/LsnFvEQYJPU

Hmm, what am I doing wrong, can't seem to get the player to show up...
    Last edited by Wes; 01-17-2012 at 12:46 PM.
    Wesley S. Scott, MBA, MIS, ABOM, NCLE-AC, LDO - SC & GA

“As our circle of knowledge expands, so does the circumference of darkness surrounding it.” -Albert Einstein

Occupation
    Grrr

“As our circle of knowledge expands, so does the circumference of darkness surrounding it.” -Albert Einstein

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Wes View Post
    Grrr
    qiuck reply tool bar = 2nd to last icon=insert video!

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

New music from Janes's Addiction!

Jane's Addiction = Underground!

Occupation

One eye sees, the other feels OptiBoard Silver Supporter
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    There were two periods in time, in the history of western music, that were notable for composition and/or performance- the classical era, primarily the German composers from the mid 18th to early 19th century, and the Jazz era and its sub-genres (and its influence on R&B, R&R etc.) from the early to mid 20th century.

Who knows when the next music explosion will occur, and how long the present drought will continue, but I doubt it will be in my lifetime. My opinion is not based on the fact that I experienced the last part of the second era, hence the music of my youth so to speak, but as a lifelong musician, instructed by child prodigy and big band guitarist Bill Crump, a 30+ year performing career starting at age 12, and by my love of music in general.

I'll only post two pieces in this thread, suggesting how high the bar should be placed, and keep one eye open for everyone's contribution, enjoying the heck out of what you have to offer, that might be so powerful that it will bring tears to my eyes.

Wes,

I'm guessing you might enjoy this after listening to the guitarist above. Note the chin move at the end- not just flash- he just ran out of hands!

For all-

I've been following Stephanie Trick for about two years now. She wasn't able to play at this level one year ago.

http://stephanietrick.com/schedule.htm
    Science is a way of trying not to fool yourself. - Richard P. Feynman

Experience is the hardest teacher. She gives the test before the lesson.

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Gold Supporter DragonLensmanWV's Avatar
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    DragonlensmanWV N.A.O.L.
    "There is nothing patriotic about hating your government or pretending you can hate your government but love your country."

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Local group, if you could call two girls a "group."

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter Jubilee's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    My hubby introduced me to Here Come the Mummies after hearing them on Bob & Tom. Must say that I have become a huge fan ever since. Love the grooves they put out, and the musicianship! One hell of a live show too!
    "Some believe in destiny, and some believe in fate. But I believe that happiness is something we create."-Something More by Sugarland

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter Jubilee's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    And if you are a person who likes to blend the old with the new, I really suggest the site http://www.livefromdarylshouse.com/welcome.html. It features Daryl Hall from Hall and Oates fame bringing assorted guests to his home to talk, cook and most importantly..make music together! Usually they will play a couple of classic Hall & Oates songs, some of the guests songs, and sometimes they will do oldies but goodies. Speaking of which.. here is what is now my favorite version of Heard It Through The Grapevine

"Some believe in destiny, and some believe in fate. But I believe that happiness is something we create."-Something More by Sugarland

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Not exactly brand new but it's wicked. And weird. There's more of his guy's stuff on a trucker documentary called Big Rig. And a bonus for you Canadians on the board- Buck 65 is from Mount Uniacke.

Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    Here's a 'feel good' song from Edward Sharpe and the Magnetic Zeros:

OptiBoard Administrator
    ----
    OptiBoard has been proudly serving the Eyecare Community since 1995.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    This is different.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    OK, again NOT NEW but I'll bet this is new to anyone reading this thread. I listen to it whenever I'm out of coffee and need a jolt.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    These guys are awesome!

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    This isn't that new, but optical 24/7's above video reminded me of this "cover"!

Something from one of their newer albums.

Last edited by Fezz; 02-02-2012 at 08:09 AM.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    If we're getting into favorite covers, I got a great cover for ya. Nancy Sinatra eat your heart out:

Rising Star
    Occupation
    How about some Electro-Swing?

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Gold Supporter DragonLensmanWV's Avatar
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    DragonlensmanWV N.A.O.L.
    "There is nothing patriotic about hating your government or pretending you can hate your government but love your country."

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Nick Martellaro - Dizzy Miss Lizzy

Sorry- I said I wouldn't interrupt, but this is too new for the other thread. Drums are synth, the rest is real, multitracked, rock & roll. Close your eyes and pretend part of J.L.'s soul has mixed with Nick's.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Resurrecting an old thread. The Warning. 3 sisters from Monterey Mexico. There’s vid’s of them performing as teens on YouTube. All grown up, this year performing “More” in SD. The younger generation keeping hard rock alive.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    What’s old is new again. This song can have different meanings, depending on your stage of life. I thing it appropriate for youngin’s to sing this one…

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Young man sounds great! Well done!
    I often time hear things like real related to music. We recently did a show with the 4 Tops, and Otis Williams Temptations, the real Temps. 32-piece orchestra on stage. You know what thy had? Everything tracked! Background vocals included. They were fantastic. In their 80s now, they want that sound to be excellent, and so they use technology to help while they dance and entertain like few others! When I go out now, I don't carry a horn section unless the event allows for the budget! I have tracked every detail and take a small rhythm section with me, and we do small events with tracks alone in small rooms. The folks who love what we call Beach Music here in the Carolinas (60s and 70s R&B/Soul, Doo Wop and feel-good sounds) come to see us, and we do all we can, and after 50+ years they still bring us back! Is it real? It's what we do, and they always come back! For me to take the 3-piece horn section, full band, and lights and sound it gets expensive! That's the beauty of technology. Can I still play? Every single day! I'm attaching a photo from a recent show, with Mr. Knock on Wood, Eddie Floyd. 87 years old, and we did a great version of his Stax Hit I Ain't Never Found Me A Girl! Let him use that technology! And another with my early group from the 80s with the world's greatest Sax Player (not opinion, fact!) the one and only Maceo Parker! Last an impromptu show with Rock and Roll, and Vocal Group Hall of Famers, the Drifters at the Southeastern Opticians Conference when it still existed. In the president's suite! I'm proud to have played with some of the finest in the world, and one thing the real players do today to make a living, is use technology to its full benefit!

It makes me happy to see this young man doing Dizzy Miss Lizzy. Many think it's a Beatles original. Nope, Larry Williams was an American rhythm and blues and rock and roll singer, songwriter, producer, and pianist from New Orleans, Louisiana. The Beatles were influenced by names like Carl Perkins, Chuck Berry, and Elvis! Throughout their career, The Beatles expressed their love of R&B with heart-on-sleeve enthusiasm, infusing their songwriting with the rhythms and harmonies of Motown and Stax, people like Eddie Floyd! I am pleased he is so happy playing and singing, just look at that smile! Use the tools you have! I wish I could include a cut from our latest Classic Soul CD. It won't attach. 4 people. We did a number of originals, one that I included live horns and strings, because I wanted it to be "real." The trumpet player is well known and works with the symphony. Doctoral degree! On the recording he was flat, and thank God for technology, we "tuned" him up, rather than bring the crowd back for another take!

Let that young man use the tools! Keep doing your thing! Now, some of you "real" players, bring it on! But understand, I have been there and done that! I'll play with any one of you, and I use technology,. I am more about Entertainment and it's worked well for me for many years.

CS PROMO!.jpg

Classic Soul and Eddie.jpgSea Breeze Band.jpg P23M4SZI.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by wmcdonald View Post
    I often time hear things like real related to music. We recently did a show with the 4 Tops, and Otis Williams Temptations, the real Temps. 32-piece orchestra on stage. You know what thy had? Everything tracked! Background vocals included.
    May be of interest- horns on one mic.

Isaac Hayes 1969

Thread Information