when does an eyeglass rx expire?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• when does an eyeglass rx expire?

I was recently told by a supposed reliable source that eyeglass prescriptions NEVER expire unless the doctor writes an expiration date on it. I always thought that an eyeglass rx expires after 2 years unless the doctor writes an earlier expiration on the rx.

I practice in New Jersey. Perhaps the laws in NJ are different than other states.

Do any of you know the facts on this?

No disrespect intended, but are you really a 'Doctor'? If so, of what? I would imagine an Optometrist would know the laws regarding his own profession, or at least should.

OptiBoard Administrator
    ----
    OptiBoard has been proudly serving the Eyecare Community since 1995.

Comment

Originally posted by eyedoc2020 View Post
      I was recently told by a supposed reliable source that eyeglass prescriptions NEVER expire unless the doctor writes an expiration date on it. I always thought that an eyeglass rx expires after 2 years unless the doctor writes an earlier expiration on the rx.

I practice in New Jersey. Perhaps the laws in NJ are different than other states.

Ummm...what?

Who is your reliable source?

Something smells here.
      Jana Lewis
      ABOC , NCLE

A fine quotation is a diamond on the finger of a man of wit, and a pebble in the hand of a fool.
      Joseph Roux

Comment

Originally posted by Steve Machol View Post
        No disrespect intended, but are you really a 'Doctor'? If so, of what? I would imagine an Optometrist would know the laws regarding his own profession, or at least should.

Agreed.

Comment

You will get a much more reliable answer by contacting your state optometry board or optometrists association than you will by asking this on an international internet forum. Good luck. Let us know what they tell you, Doc.
          Wesley S. Scott, MBA, MIS, ABOM, NCLE-AC, LDO - SC & GA

“As our circle of knowledge expands, so does the circumference of darkness surrounding it.” -Albert Einstein

Comment

Originally posted by Steve Machol View Post
            It has been my understanding that an eyeglass rx is good for 2 years, and that is what I was taught in professional school. The official laws of optometry state nothing regarding eyeglass rx expirations.

The "reliable source" I refer to is a director of a school that teaches opticianry.

In NJ, you can't just call up the board to ask the law on an issue, you have to submit a request in writing which can take awhile before getting a response.

I thought that a good place to inquire would be a site such as optiboard because I assume many of its members are opticians. Furthemore, I would also assume that opticians should also know the law regarding rx expirations since they need to know how to properly fill them or not fill them.

Just thought some of you might know.

No need for denigration on this site. If you have the facts, you only need to state them.
            Last edited by eyedoc2020; 10-03-2011, 09:35 PM.

Comment

My understanding in Ontario is there is nothing legally preventing me from filling a prescription of any date, even 20 years old.

In practice, I would need a good reason to fill an Rx over 2 or 3 years old, unless the purchaser agrees to pay for any remake.
              Sent from my BlackBerry® wireless device

Comment

O.D. Rx's 2 yrs. OMD, when and if indicated.

Comment

Laws vary from state to state. For instance, in SC an eyeglass rx only expires if the prescriber states that it expires. I was merely suggesting a local NJ optometrist/optician would be a much better resource. I've seen people ask locality-specific laws on this international forum on numerous occasions and they are rarely satisfied with the answers provided. So far you've gotten answers for South Carolina, Mississippi and Ontario. It probably won't get much better.

Again, good luck.
                  Wesley S. Scott, MBA, MIS, ABOM, NCLE-AC, LDO - SC & GA

“As our circle of knowledge expands, so does the circumference of darkness surrounding it.” -Albert Einstein

Comment

In VA, spectacle rx's may NOT specify an expiration date unless there is a medical requirement. We've had some trouble with rx's written to expire in as little as 24 hours.

Comment

There are many state where an expiration on an eyeglass Rx is no more valid than a check box next to "Crizal" or "Varilux". Eyeglass Rx's do not fall into the purview of state pharmaceutical laws ( Where a medication has an expiration date and fines associated for filling.) It's wise to know your particular state's laws on this.

Comment

The official laws of optometry state nothing regarding eyeglass rx expirations.
                        You have just answered your own question.
                        Dick

www.aerovisiontech.com

Comment

Better question than expected

I just perused the NJ optometry laws. Couldn't find anything about spec Rx expirations.

Here in Massachusetts, ODs are required to write an expiration date as per State Optometry laws. Also to be written on prescription is PD, address, and birthdate. Expiration date is required, that date is up to professional discretion.

Lots of supposed info out there about a federal law that says an Rx is good only two years, but I've never seen it written.

It looks like these regs are state written, which is why internet contacts and glasses are so big and getting bigger as state rules don't apply

Harry

Comment

Originally posted by harry888 View Post
                            Lots of supposed info out there about a federal law that says an Rx is good only two years, but I've never seen it written. Harry
                            The laws governing optometry (and opticianry) in the United States are within the perview of the individual States and not the Federal Government. Thank God!
                            Dick

www.aerovisiontech.com

Comment

New Answer: When the patient can no longer see as well as he should out of his old glasses.

Of course they don't write laws with this sort of common sense.

Chip

Comment

Working...
                              X