Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Some pretty horrible news

One of the worst people here
    Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field

Some pretty horrible news

This Tuesday, my father, and one of the World's Greatest Opticians suffered a brain aneurysm that hemorrhaged. He did post on this site as C-10, but not very often.

Tuesday night, he was flown to Winnipeg for emergency surgery. They used a coiling technique to stop the bleeding and it was successful. Luckily he avoided a stroke (and worse yet), but his cognitive abilities are severally damaged.

The World will be losing one of the last great opticians, as he is forced to retire. An optician of 40 years and an owner of 24.

I am now in the process of taking care of the ownership situation. Don't know what that means right now, as there are some options ahead of us.

I started working for my father at the age of 14. Our relationship improved greatly during my 11 years working for him. We worked hard together to improve the business and had many successes. Through him, I developed a strong ethical core that has defined me as a man and helped make me who I am today. While I went off to obtain my business degree and my Masters, and left the business for other higher paying work, the store is a major part of who I am.

This is a sad day, as the man who worked so hard to help people will lose part of himself to a brain injury.

But I want to dedicate this thread to Cliff Anderson for the dignity, ethics, and respect that he brought to the world of eye care, but most of all for the wonderful job he has done as a father.

Occupation
    Optometrist
    Sorry to hear about it. Our thoughts are with you and your family.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    My prayers and thoughts are with you. You are of course his legacy and I'm sure he is very proud.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Mrs. Uncut and I extend our best wishes to you and your family, in this crisis. May the road ahead be smoother, and less winding.

Bad address email on file k12311997's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    my thoughts and prayers to your dad and family

Rising Star
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    :(

All great things come to an end (Cliff Anderson's life's work)...

...sometimes, great things are born... (For-Life carrying on the tradition).

<3's

Manuf. Lens Surface Treatments
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor
    My thoughts are with you, you will now have many more responsibilities to get the family through some difficult times of adapting until all is back into a routine. I wish you and Cliff all the best.
    Chris

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Thinking of you and your family. If we can do anything, please let us know.

Craig

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter Barry Santini's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Sad news, but its also heartening to know that For-Life is carryimg on the legacy as few are in our world.

B

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter Jubilee's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    So sorry to hear about your father. I know you held him, and the family business in high regard. You and your family are in my thoughts, and your optiboard family is here to help.
    "Some believe in destiny, and some believe in fate. But I believe that happiness is something we create."-Something More by Sugarland

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    For-Life, my thoughts and prayers go out to your father and your family. I suffered the loss of my Grandfather on Tuesday, he was one month shy of 90. Much like your father, my Grandpa was and will continue to be a role model for my life. Here's to the men that molded the men we have become. If we can only be half the men they were.
    UFRICH:cheers:

Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    All our thoughts and prayers to you, your father, and your family.
    There are rules. Knowing those are easy. There are exceptions to the rules. Knowing those are easy. Knowing when to use them is slightly less easy. There are exceptions to the exceptions. Knowing those is a little more tricky, and know when to use those is even more so. Our industry is FULL of all of the above.

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Gold Supporter DragonLensmanWV's Avatar
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Man, you just never know when your body will reach out and smack you down. My thoughts and hopes are for a good recovery and peace for your hearts.
    DragonlensmanWV N.A.O.L.
    "There is nothing patriotic about hating your government or pretending you can hate your government but love your country."

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    So sorry to hear For-Life. Thoughts and prayers are with you and your family. I think it's a wonderful thing what you are doing by carrying on what he started.

Occupation
    Very sad to hear this :( If there is anything I can do, let me know here or FB.

Rising Star
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    You and your father are in my thoughts and prayers also. Having lost my father just as I was going off on my own and wishing he was around to guide me to manhood really puts things into perspective about life and family. May you have many more years with him and best of luck with the business!

Scott

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    aw-w-w-w-...what terrible news...I am so sorry for both of you...you are in my thoughts and prayers

One eye sees, the other feels OptiBoard Silver Supporter
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I've read that there can be significant recovery after this type of hemorrhage. Let's all hope that this will be true for your father.

Peace and love,

Robert

Occupation
    I'm very sorry to hear this. Best of luck to him and to you.

OptiBoard Administrator
    ----
    OptiBoard has been proudly serving the Eyecare Community since 1995.

Occupation
    For-Life, so sorry to hear this. I can still remember as a 3 year old my mom proudly announcing to me that she had gotten her first job- as an optician! I spent many Saturday's hanging in her dispensarie's lab playing in the "sandbox" or coloring in an empty contact lens room. She was my inspiration to my career in optical and was my sounding board for many years before I lost her to breast cancer almost five years ago. What a wonderful role your dad has played in your life and my prayers are with you that he will continue for many years. Believe in prayer and miracles!

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    It's a wonderful warm feeling having a parent you love and respect, good memories are to be treasured, not everyone is so lucky. The brain is quite forgiving sometimes, he might surprise you in time. Either way, difficult times ahead which he has helped by teaching you to cope. Prayers go with you.
    WE SEE THINGS NOT AS THEY ARE, BUT AS WE ARE..... Anais Nin

OptiBoard Professional
    Occupation
    Our thoughts and prayers surround you also. I lost my father to the same thing when I was 12 years old. Hold memories close.
    If you have integrity, nothing else matters. If you don't have integrity, nothing else matters
    Laramy-K Optical

Occupation
    I think the best way is to carry forward what you dad had done. His work will be remembered, through you. Thats every father's dream. Prayers to your dad and family.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I'm thinking and praying for you and yours. My best to you..

One of the worst people here
    Occupation
    Thanks everyone. I truly appreciate it.

I am taking this week off of my regular job, and will take care of his store. He is talking and he is recognizing people, which is great news. The aneurysm happened in the frontal lobe, which is apparently the worst place to have it. We are extremely lucky that he is still alive.

My mother spoke to him about the business. Not sure if he or the doctor said he may be able to work in a few months, so he was wondering if it was premature. But he is in no position to run a business anymore and the business cannot stay open if it is closed for a few months. He gets that. If he wants to continue working in a few months, he will have no trouble finding an optical job.

I have not decided if I am going to see him in Winnipeg or not. He is there for about two weeks. But, I have to take care of the business. I may fly in and out next weekend.

Thread Information