Thread: Pt question regarding Prism

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field

Pt question regarding Prism

Hello,

I would like to know if Prism lenses can damage your 'eye muscles' and make them 'relax' where you will continue to need more prism as time goes on.. My left eye does indeed, have some problems drifting UP and to the LEFT.. my right eye is very stable and doesn't drift at all.. my new eyeglasses include 6 up 2 in right eye only.. heres my case:

my left eye drifts upwards and slightly to the left, however my doctor prescribed the prism RX in my right eye.. it feels as if its making my eye pull out.. could this be making my eye muscle weaker in my right eye?? the prism is nothing that I *think* I have to have, b/c I don't see double all the time, mainly at night -- however, I do know for a fact that my left eye has that problem drifting upward and over.. anyone have any experience with this?
    Any help would be greatly appreciated!!

My current RX is:

(R) +2.75 -6.75 20 PRISM 6 UP 2 IN
    (L) -1.75 -0.75 85

Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor
    Loqui -

I would suggest you ask these questions, and explain your experience, with your doctor. It would rash of any of us - at least those of us without a medical degree to offer an opinion. Sort of practicing medicine without a license. There are quite a few Dr's that post and or read those messages. Perhaps one will voice an opinion.

Many would like to post, but just not practical. Sorry.
    J. R. Smith

Occupation
    JRS is right. We cannot diagnose you - no one can do that online. Even if a Dr. posts, all he could offer is general advice.

You need to discuss this with your doctor. If for some reason you don't get a satisfactory explanation, then get a second opinion from another doctor. Good luck!

OptiBoard Administrator
    ----
    OptiBoard has been proudly serving the Eyecare Community since 1995.

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Thanks for your replies!! In General, can Prism lenses cause some sort of 'damage' if anyone knows?? I know its different case by case, just wondering if any OD or MD would know this info? I've scheduled another apt w/ my doctor for next week and will ask him the questions as well!! Thanks again!

Bad address email on file

Prism

First let me say that I am not yet a doctor, I just play one in school................

Prism can be prescribed in either eye to have an effect in the fellow eye. The prism that was prescribed to you would fix the problem of your left eye drifting out and up, however I would be concerned about a pathological process for an eye that develops a vertical phoria with a horizontal component. I have absolutely no idea what the doctor did/saw in your exam, so obviously no one can be sure of anything.

Prism can be prescribed many different ways, for example, if you have a 6 prism diopter OD XP, you could prescribe 6 BI OD, 3 BI OU, 6 BI OS, 2BI OD 4 BI OS, etc......

With a vertical phoria, for example a 6 prism diopter OD Hyper, they could prescribe 6 BD OD, or 6 BU OS........

Again, check with your eye doc, but I would want to rule out any pathological conditions before I just prescribe prism. Your doc probably did that, you just didn't mention it in your post. Take care, hope this helps and good luck!

Thread Information