Thread: Dissappoiinted Public Input Removed

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Consumer or Non-Eyecare field

Dissappoiinted Public Input Removed

A couple of years ago this site allowed the general public to ask questions about optics. I'm dissappointed that ability has been removed. It was very helpful to me several years ago before such disscussions were disallowed. Is there any chance of adding a forum where members of the general public can ask optics questions? Sometimes a visit to the local optician can't provide the answers that world-wide input can.

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Gold Supporter DragonLensmanWV's Avatar
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Nope. The problem came about when certain consumers took issues with the advice they got and threatened legal action,as well as personal threats. So that's gone.
    DragonlensmanWV N.A.O.L.
    "There is nothing patriotic about hating your government or pretending you can hate your government but love your country."

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    As you see from monitoring this site, Canada has lots of really good opticians. It can't be so hard to find one. Buy your glasses there. Get the benefit of their knowledge and ability. Don't expect to use us to circumvent them.

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Consumer or Non-Eyecare field
    Thanks "Dragon". It's understandable why this site has gone 'professional optician only' in light of the situations that you described. Thank you for sharing the reasons behind the change. It's too bad that happened because I think that hearing customer experiences could be helpful for opticians almost as much as opticians feedback could help customers. I wish I could share with "finefocus" the details of what prompted me to come back to this website after a 3 year absence but I won't violate the rules by trying to do so. Thanks again for your reply.

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Mardon View Post
    It's too bad that happened because I think that hearing customer experiences could be helpful for opticians almost as much as opticians feedback could help customers.
    I listen to "customer feedback" every single Monday, Thursday and Fridays from 9-5:30. Tuesday and Wednesdays from 9-7:00 and Saturdays from 9-1:00. :bbg:

As an Optician, I think it's kind of rude to pounce back on the board demanding that section gets put back up. Obviously, as Dragon stated, there are reasons, and GOOD reasons as to why it was shut down. I personally feel that patients shouldn't be allowed on a professional optical message board in the first place as I find it hard to believe that simple questions cannot be answered by your local optometrist/ophthalmologist and or optician.

I know I have no impact on starting that section again, however, as I said, I personally feel it isn't necessary and shouldn't be allowed but then again..what do I know? :hammer:

Compulsive Truthteller OptiBoard Gold Supporter Uncle Fester's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I thought they couldn't have been more polite in their complaint.

With engineers remember- it's genetic- they have to know the reason why.:bbg:

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Fester View Post
    Oops. You're right! My mistake :bbg:

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Fester View Post
    I thought they couldn't have been more polite in their complaint.

Good point; I also thought Mardon went out of his/her way to be polite and acknowledging. I may have been snippy in assuming that this was a net-buyer trying to weasel some free professional advice.

If the reason for the post was that the patient has a genuine problem with vision, then some help in finding a competent local professional might be in order.

If it is only engineercustomer syndrome, then Keri has it right; we already get daily input. Mardon should relax and enjoy the fact that we OB'ers all see people every day who would be grateful to have what some disdain. When I hire an architect, an engineer, a lawyer, I don't demand that they teach me their profession; I demand that they know what they're doing, and that's enough.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    If it is only engineercustomer syndrome, then Keri has it right; we already get daily input.
    Fine, it's funny you say that. I just had a gentleman in here that was telling ME how to adjust his nose pads..then in turn couldn't figure out with there are 18903221903812 scratches and 93280921830921 little holes in his lenses. I asked, "Did you drop them on cement?" Then I got the look of, "How did she know that?"

The thing is, I have no problem with patients asking questions because that's what we are here for..is to educate them because obviously patients just don't know. I know I am "new" on here and I take my job very seriously. So, while a patient comes on here asking why they can't ask questions..what do you think I GET paid for? I get paid for YOU to come into the office to ask ME questions..not to jump on a message board and ask.

I absolutely love my job, I love selling glasses, I love throwing that I am certified, I love sharing my knowledge with patients and you know why? Because your ABC optical doesn't take the time to EDUCATE them. I get thanked at least 3 times a day by patients saying they've never been educated, they've never been told how to clean lenses because they're treated with non-glare coating, first time progressive wearers..I tell them and educate them HOW to use them and WHAT to expect.

Anyways, this is long but I wanted to explain where I was coming from. I understand they have questions, however, I do not feel that an optical message board should be where you get your COMPLETE answers from. As you said, Focus, that's where you need to go to your optician and if you don't like the answer YOU want..go to the next person. I feel that all of our knowledge and what we discuss on here, shouldn't be allowed for patients to view because they either A) Don't understand it or B) Might understand it and use it with their optician, "I was told on this message board...". Honestly, I would be offended if someone turned to a message board to find out something they simply could have asked me.

Ok I'm done now. I'm going back to sipping on my Diet Dr. Pepper and eating my afternoon popcorn snack. :bbg:

Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    We conducted a poll and this policy was adapted at the request of the overwhelming majority of OptiBoard members. It won't be changed unless the members and sponsors want it to change.

OptiBoard Administrator
    ----
    OptiBoard has been proudly serving the Eyecare Community since 1995.

Ophthalmic Optician
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I think it's kind of rude to pounce back on the board demanding that section gets put back up.
    I must have missed that part. Was the post deleted?
    Ophthalmic Optician, Society to Advance Opticianry

Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Post in question (the single event):
    A couple of years ago this site allowed the general public to ask questions about optics. I'm dissappointed that ability has been removed. It was very helpful to me several years ago before such disscussions were disallowed. Is there any chance of adding a forum where members of the general public can ask optics questions? Sometimes a visit to the local optician can't provide the answers that world-wide input can.

....I think it's kind of rude to pounce back on the board demanding that section gets put back up....
    Quote Originally Posted by Johns View Post
    I must have missed that part. Was the post deleted?
    Nope not deleted. What we have here are 2 different interpretations of a single event.

1. An old member (from 2005) making a comment regarding the changes to the OB since his/hers last visit. Expressing an opinion (disappointed that the general public can no longer ask a question). Showing appreciation for the help he/she received prior to the banning of the consumers and asking a simple question.

or....

2. Just another rude customer doing what they do best..being rude and demanding that the consumers be allowed to post questions ........
    Last edited by ksquared; 11-08-2010 at 12:58 AM. Reason: forgot the referance quote

Debt Crisis 2011: All the ostensible nobility in the world notwithstanding, we have run out of other people's money to spend.

Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    I vote for number 1. I don't think she/he was rude or demanding. Just my opinion.

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter Now I See's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I vote for #1 as well...seemed pretty innocent. I am "guilty" (if you want to call it that) of researching other boards as well. About 3 months ago we began the task of painting the interior of our house...it's done now, thankfully....but before I began the project, I was researching different paint brands, and found a professional painters board, with a public forum, much like this one. I read some of their comments on brands of paint, paint finishes, durability, ease of use...etc. Bottom line is, I didn't expect to get my answers from them, what I got was some basic understanding and that helped me understand what questions to ask my local paint store, who then directed me to what they had to offer. Yep, even in the paint world, all the manufacturers think theirs is the best for one reason or another, so it's hard to decide...luckily, though there are boards like this one that allow the public to look around and get some real-world opinions, so that they can go to their local professional and have an informed Q&A session.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    That is why the board is still readable to non-opticians, they just can't post. If it hasn't been covered already in the archives, then you're not searching hard enough.

Thread Information