Thread: where to buy a new computer?

Bad address email on file k12311997's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

where to buy a new computer?

any suggestions, I just need the tower but I'm not smart enough to build my own. thanks

Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    I got one recently from Best Buy. It is a Dell so you could probably get one there or directly from Dell.

One of the worst people here
    Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    Hold off for the new Windows 7 though. It is either already being sold or will be in a couple of months. Don't get Vista

Occupation
    Some (most?) are now coming with FREE upgrades to 7 when it becomes available.

Occupation
    Optical Laboratory Technician

Tried online?

I get my parts from newegg.com or pcconnection.com and build em myself but they sell towers as well. Another good place is ecost.com. I've been using these guys for about 8 years, they're not fly by night. That was a god suggestion about waiting for windows 7. Good luck. Wes
    Wesley S. Scott, MBA, MIS, ABOM, NCLE-AC, LDO - SC & GA

“As our circle of knowledge expands, so does the circumference of darkness surrounding it.” -Albert Einstein

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter varmint's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    My son-in-law works as an IT geek and he uses nothing but Dells and swears by them, however me being the stubborn father-in-law I've bought Gateway or most lately HP. I like my new HP laptop, but I run some pgms on my desktop that won't be compatible with the new windows 64bit systems so thats kept me from upgrading. In particular I use some graphics designing software to cut vinyl signage and some estimating software for my contracting that doesn't run on 64bit. You might want to check this issue with your software & allow that extra cost to upgrade software.
    Sometimes they have good deals at the local costco, or the dell outlet online store, but you have to take them the way they are configured in the pkg.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    so what are the differences between brands? they all use the same processor, the same OS and the same programs right? what makes Brand A better than Brand B?

Occupation
    The big differences that I see between brands are the quality of parts and craftsmanship.

Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by k12311997 View Post
    so what are the differences between brands? they all use the same processor, the same OS and the same programs right? what makes Brand A better than Brand B?
    That's true, but there are many more things that go into a computer. Motherboard, video cards, memory, optical drives, card readers, hard drives, etc. Another thing you want to look at is expansion bays and expansion ports on the motherboard.. It's nice to be able to easily upgrade and add hard drives to your pc, like from an olser system that has all your data. A lot of the big boys will use a cheap motherboard with a slow FSB no expansion capability, and some even go for onboard video instead of seperate video cards. I've been doing builds and repairs for about ten years, and I can tell you the motherboard is the glue that holds it all together. Sadly, even the most premium rigs from the "Big Boys" use only average grade boards.
    All that said, I saw a nice HP Voodoo PC "Firebird" on ecost the other day http://www.ecost.com/Detail/Desktops...avid=155438718 It's the little brother of a "Blackbird" I have and would do well for you. It's good looking too. Another good option is a Dell XPS.
    Here's a page of towers for your perusal. http://www.ecost.com/ecost/category/...gory=155438718 I've been buying from these guys for 8-9 years. You can trust em.
    Wes

“As our circle of knowledge expands, so does the circumference of darkness surrounding it.” -Albert Einstein

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    wes,

thanks for the reply, I was looking at $400 - $600 the closer to 4 the happier I'd be(that whole broke optician thing.) Largely used for internet, wordprocessing and photo storage and a little photo manipulation. I'm not playing the latest and greatest MMP games. I would like some speed and power but not worried about the tops. would anyone care to give opinions of this, thanks http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16883108208

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    what are the differences between Intel and Amd? what are atom , celleron(sp) and dual core?

Occupation
    Looks like a decent rig. Theres a nice HP mediacenter on that ecost link I posted. Might be a better deal. Intel and AMD are competing processor (and board) manufacturers much like Zeiss and Essilor are competing lens manufacturers. Atom and celeron are cheap lines of processors they make. Go for at least a dual core, or quad core if you can get it. More processor cores means more things you can do at a time with no lag. Wes

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Thumbs up

"Where to buy a new computer?"

How about at the Apple Store!!!!!!!!!

:cheers::cheers:;):cheers::cheers::D

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter varmint's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Fezz View Post

Silly.....apple's are fruit!!!

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Fezz View Post

Fezz,

Apples may be the gold standard, unfortunately I'm on a bronze budget.

One of the worst people here
    Occupation
    Meh, I have not been impressed by Macs. No matter what anyone says, they are not compatible. When I get a Word file from a Mac and the formating is messed up, there is a problem. Plus, I have heard a lot of stories about them crashing, A LOT.

Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by For-Life View Post
    Meh, I have not been impressed by Macs. No matter what anyone says, they are not compatible. When I get a Word file from a Mac and the formating is messed up, there is a problem. Plus, I have heard a lot of stories about them crashing, A LOT.
    The reason I switched from a PC to a Mac was because I got sick and tired of the constant crashing of Windows 95/XP/Vista. I would have to reboot the computer every 2 days or so on average.

In comparison my Mac crashes about once every 3-4 months. The things I don't like about it are:

- 'Finder' is a poor substitute for Windows Explorer
    - Updates almost always require rebooting that machine, even if it's only an update to Safari or iTunes. This whould only be required for OS and system upgrades.

Other than that the Mac and Mac OS is superior in every way.

OptiBoard Administrator
    ----
    OptiBoard has been proudly serving the Eyecare Community since 1995.

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Gold Supporter DragonLensmanWV's Avatar
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    That one from newegg looks suitable. The only really weak parf of it is the onboard graphics,, which can handle only the most basic of 3D stuff. Heck, I have a couple of ones using that basic setup breadboarded on my table and, using that graphics system, it only barely runs my 3-D Solar System screensaver, though in stilted fasion.
    Never fear, graphics cards are cheap, you can get a very serviceable GeForce card for pretty cheap.
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16814125260

I've got about 6 of those running on our puters at work.
    DragonlensmanWV N.A.O.L.
    "There is nothing patriotic about hating your government or pretending you can hate your government but love your country."

Master OptiBoarder keithbenjamin's Avatar
    Occupation
    Keep an eye out on www.dealnews.com.

-Keith

Thread Information