Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567

Thread: Sara Palin

Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field

VP Tidbits

[quote=Steve Machol;265793]And this one:

If you have a chance, look for her answer to the VP question. :)[/quot

Transcript
    PALIN: Well, our founding fathers were very wise there in allowing through the Constitution much flexibility there in the office of the vice president. And we will do what is best for the American people in tapping into that position and ushering in an agenda that is supportive and cooperative with the president’s agenda in that position. Yeah, so I do agree with him that we have a lot of flexibility in there, and we’ll do what we have to do to administer very appropriately the plans that are needed for this nation. And it is my executive experience that is partly to be attributed to my pick as V.P. with McCain, not only as a governor, but earlier on as a mayor, as an oil and gas regulator, as a business owner. It is those years of experience on an executive level that will be put to good use in the White House also

It is easy to denigrate or belittle her answer as "gibberish and a clear lack of understanding of the Constitution". Her answer is really neither. I think McCain and Palin both see her role as the Vice President vastly different from previous administrations and yet precisely as directed by the constitution.

Biden, understood that THIS VP candidate was actually planning on actively administering the senate as President - as defined by the Constitution. (McCain knew her strong suite was administration!) Biden saw the implication immediately and exploded into the rant against Cheney. This WOMAN had the audacity to imply she planned to set committee assignments and schedule votes! This would greatly expand the REAL power of the office, not to mention step on a lot of senate toes. This is very interesting reading.

http://www.eternityroad.info/index.p...g/single/3125/

Before someone says " this isn't so" take a look at the official senate website on the issue historically.

"Under the original code of Senate rules, the presiding officer exercised great power over the conduct of the body's proceedings. Rule XVI provided that "every question of order shall be decided by the President [of the Senate], without debate; but if there be a doubt in his mind, he may call for a sense of the Senate." Thus, contrary to later practice, the presiding officer was the sole judge of proper procedure and his rulings could not be turned aside by the full Senate without his assent."

http://www.senate.gov/artandhistory/..._President.htm

My guess is that the original code of senate rules still exist and although the practice changed, the rules are still intact and could be implemented.

Now, do you still think she doesn't understand the constitution?

Rep

Occupation
    Listen to the whole thing. I stand by what I said. It was meandering gibberish. Really! :)

By the way, she is also impeding a legitimate investigation in Alaska for purely political reasons. This is not in the spirit of 'open and responsive' government. (She also lied about the Sudan divestiture, but what's another lie, eh?)

Seriously anyone who thinks Governor Palin has exhibited any understanding of the serious National and International issues facing this country has not been listening to her. She has said absolutely nothing that was not force-fed by the McCain handlers who by the way do not trust her enough to allow her to talk to the press. Someone is interviewing for one of the highest offices in the land (and potentially the highest) and she refuses to submit herself to the same grilling and vetting that every other candidate has gone through. Utterly amazing! That says more about her capabilities than anything I can come up with. Even many conservatives (George Will, Kathleen Pargker, etc.) feel she is someone "Who Is Clearly Out Of Her League".

Luckily the people of this country may just be catching on finally. From the previous article I cited:

Interestingly, pundits focused on expectations while voters focused on mundane things like positions on issues and knowledge of these issues. While the punditry seemed to agree that Palin did not verbally implode and therefore had exceeded expectations, a CNN poll showed that voters viewed Biden as having won the debate by a margin of 51%-36%. A CBS poll showed that among uncommitted voters, Biden won by a substantial margin of 46%-21%. Tellingly, the same CNN poll showed Palin won the all important likeability question by a margin of 54%-36%. This demonstrates that a fair amount of voters like Palin but don't want to see her in national office. to her by the McCain handlers.

OptiBoard Administrator
    ----
    OptiBoard has been proudly serving the Eyecare Community since 1995.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    check this out:

...Just ask me...

Objection! OptiBoard Gold Supporter shanbaum's Avatar
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor
    Quote Originally Posted by rep View Post

Now, do you still think she doesn't understand the constitution?

Rep

I am absolutely certain that she does not understand the Constitution.

What you and the not-too-well-informed author of that blog you cite are glossing over are the words “order” and “procedure”. The President of the Senate has no power, and can have no power, over committee assignments (as you and Mr. Medcalf seem to think), or even the questions that come before the chamber, other than that which is delegated to him (or her) by the body.

While the chair of any organization that follows traditional rules of order has some power to control the activities of the body, that power is severely constrained; ultimately, the majority of the Senate can do what it wants, including, for example, turning the President’s role into that of a figurehead. The Senate has (uniquely) imposed upon itself a rule requiring a supermajority for certain actions. However, a mere majority of members could dispose of that rule, and create an entire new set of rules.

In most deliberative bodies, an understanding arises that today’s majority could be tomorrow’s minority, and that’s why the cloture rule has persisted. Of course, you may recall that just a few years ago, the inestimable Frist was threatening to change the rules (calling it the “nuclear option”), when, as usual, he could not see the potential effects, adverse to his interest, in doing so.

If, by some misfortune, the McPain ticket does prevail, and the Senate remains in Democrat hands, I predict that you will see this bizarre suggestion – that of the VP actually “administering” the Senate in a substantive way – evaporate faster than JFK’s missle gap.

More broadly, I have to wonder how a devoted right-winger such as yourself can support this pair. After all, they are running against the principles you’ve been supporting, at least, for the most part. Doesn’t being “mavericks” mean that they oppose the positions the Republican party has taken recently – the very positions you’ve supported? For example, one of the few things I know of that Palin has accomplished as governor (beyond just getting elected, which is touted as a kind of “reform”, since she replaced a corrupt Republican), was to impose a windfall profits tax on oil companies. Bravo, I say. While she talks the standard GOP talk (wherein the answer to every question about the economy is, “cut taxes”), she doesn’t seem to actually walk the walk. I mean, I seem to recall McCain saying that he had never voted to raise taxes – which that is probably false, but which in any case, has to be a rather stupid position, and from a genuinely traditional (read: pre-Stockman) Republican standpoint, a wrong one. Do you support that windfall profits tax that she championed?

Similarly, on regulation – don’t you oppose the regulation that McCain and Palin now say that they’re going to impose on Wall Street? They haven’t actually proposed anything specific, so far as I know, but, I would expect you to oppose any such thing on principle. Shouldn’t the market be allowed to work its magic, unfettered? Or have right-wingers really changed their tune? Are they all mavericks now (and can that happen, semantically)?

And what about Palin’s proposed additional spending on education? More money for teachers? Where’s that going to come from? Oh, wait – I know – tax cuts! Is support for the teachers’ union next? Did you miss that part, or did I imagine it?

These positions do suggest a kind of “maverick-ness”, at least in some areas, but I have to wonder, isn’t the ultimate Republican maverick really just a Democrat? How do I tell the difference? Is it just willingness to chant “tax cuts”, describe foreign policy in terms of “victory” and “surrender”, and complain about “legislating from the bench”? Is anything else required these days?

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Gold Supporter DragonLensmanWV's Avatar
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    And what about Palin wanting to rip a star off the flag? Her hubby is a member of the Alaskan Independence movement where they want to declare independence from the USA. Heck, Sara herself is a former member. Heck, even after she got elected Governor she addressed their convention with warm words of support.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZwvPNXYrIyI
    DragonlensmanWV N.A.O.L.
    "There is nothing patriotic about hating your government or pretending you can hate your government but love your country."

Occupation

Sorry, but at least some of

Quote Originally Posted by DragonLensmanWV View Post
    And what about Palin wanting to rip a star off the flag? Her hubby is a member of the Alaskan Independence movement where they want to declare independence from the USA. Heck, Sara herself is a former member. Heck, even after she got elected Governor she addressed their convention with warm words of support.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZwvPNXYrIyI
    your information is incorrect. She was never a member of the party - She registered republican and always has been.

This rumor was started by a CBS blogger over a month ago and was later recended by the AIP itself. (Its a political party, not a movement)

Factcheck.org reports, "The director of Alaska’s Division of Elections, Gail Fenumiai, confirms that [Sarah] Palin registered to vote in the state for the first time in May 1982 as a Republican and hasn’t changed her party affiliation since."

That party is the third largest independent party in Alaska and in the video she was simply addressing Alaskan voters, anything else is speculation,

http://mikesnoise.typepad.com/palin_...ports-aip.html

Rep

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by shanbaum View Post
    ... I have to wonder how a devoted right-winger such as yourself can support this pair...
    Oo, oo, oo! I know, I know!
    ...Just ask me...

Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Quote Originally Posted by rep View Post
    your information is incorrect. She was never a member of the party - She registered republican and always has been.

This rumor was started by a CBS blogger over a month ago and was later recended by the AIP itself. (Its a political party, not a movement)

Factcheck.org reports, "The director of Alaska’s Division of Elections, Gail Fenumiai, confirms that [Sarah] Palin registered to vote in the state for the first time in May 1982 as a Republican and hasn’t changed her party affiliation since."

That party is the third largest independent party in Alaska and in the video she was simply addressing Alaskan voters, anything else is speculation,

http://mikesnoise.typepad.com/palin_...ports-aip.html

Rep
    I stand corrected - Sara is not a former member. But her hubby still is.And she was addressing their convention.

And I find it hilarious that you are now quoting factcheck.org when you so hated them just a month ago.
    DragonlensmanWV N.A.O.L.
    "There is nothing patriotic about hating your government or pretending you can hate your government but love your country."

Occupation
    She delivered a video address to their Party Convention earlier this year, who's leader has stated:

"I'm an Alaskan, not an American. I've got no use for America or her damned institutions."
    Joe Vogler

"The problem with you John Birchers' is that you are too damn liberal!"
    ~ Joseph Vogler, Founder Alaskan Independence Party
    And:

"The fires of hell are frozen glaciers compared to my hatred for the American government," Vogler said in the interview, in which he talked extensively about his desire for Alaskan secession, the key goal of the AIP.

"And I won't be buried under their damn flag," Vogler continued in the interview, which also touched on his disappointment with the American judicial system. "I'll be buried in Dawson. And when Alaska is an independent nation they can bring my bones home."
    This was the Party that Todd Plan was a member of, and I have it on solid authority that Sarah Palin has been seen 'palling around' with that America-hating traitor as late as yesterday.

Imagine the manufactured 'outrage' if Obama had done the same thing to an organization that held those views.

The smell of right-wing hypocrisy in the morning is disgusting.

OptiBoard Administrator
    ----

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Her experience overwhelms!

[youtube]iMocEINn-E8[/youtube]
    ...Just ask me...

One of the worst people here
    Occupation
    executive experience galore.

FYI - When I worked in a similar size municipality with the same isolation problems, we were far more formal and did not talk about cookies.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Y’know I was listening to my radio programs the other day and a caller who used to live in Alaska and now lives in LA pointed out that the city of Long Beach in Southern California has a larger population than the ENTIRE state of Alaska.
    www.opticaljedi.com
    www.facebook.com/opticaljedi
    www.twitter.com/opticaljedi

Occupation
    I think most people, including the media, are entirely missing the point by concentrating on her 'experience'. It's not her experience that concerns me. It's her utter lack of knowledge about national and international issues and her disturbing lack of intellectual curiosity about the nation and world that is the concern - not experience itself. I imagine that are a number of former small town mayors and Governors that know a heck of a lot more about the issues affecting us and the world then Governor Palin. Some people actually think there issues are important enough to to educate themselves about that. Imagine that. How elitist is that? Knowledge and education. How dare they!

Outside of her carefully scripted speeches and trained talking points, she exhibits absolutely no in-depth knowledge of any serious issue. None. Even major Conservatives who are honest and not blinded by ideology recognize the same thing, and to their credit they have had the courage to say so, even when taking such stances have resulted in death threats against them.

OptiBoard Administrator
    ----

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

...Just ask me...

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Watching Real Time with Bill Maher last week, I think Garry Shandling actually said it right.

Y’know we have the Navy Seals right? They are an “elite” fighting force. Better than other sailors, so they can handle the more difficult situations. Shouldn’t we want an “elite” to be running the country so that he/she can handle the more difficult situations?

And, on the war. We have LOST the war. The bankrupted nation is proof of that. If you “win” on the ground, but then put your country into a decade(s) long depression, that is losing, not winning. The war’s budget has been entirely off the books. We owe China, and certain Arab nations hundreds of BILLIONS of dollars in loans to pay for the war. We haven’t even paid any principal. We’re only paying interest. WE ARE BANKRUPT as a nation, and it is because of this war.

All this constant talk of “victory” yet victory is never defined by those using the words.
    www.opticaljedi.com

Occupation

It's a good thing the liberal mainstream media is on top of this...

This, from the Branchflower Report to the [Alaska] Legislative Council, dated October 10, 2008, is neither big news, nor particularly damning:

Finding Number One: For the reasons explained in section IV of this report, I find that Governor Sarah Palin abused her power by violating Alaska Statute 39.52.110(a) of the Alaska Executive Branch Ethics Act.

…until combined with this:

“I’m thankful that the report has shown that there was no illegal or unethical activity there in my choice to replace our commissioner,” [Palin] said.

Palin Denies Abuse of Authority in Trooper Case, New York Times, October 11, 2008.

Think before you vote.

Compulsive Truthteller OptiBoard Gold Supporter Uncle Fester's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

You betcha...

Quote Originally Posted by Grubendol View Post
    All this constant talk of “victory” yet victory is never defined by those using the words.
    Victory is right there on the horizon. Wait a minute--has anyone ever reached the horizon?

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    ...Just ask me...

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I saw part of an interview with Palin this morning. She was whining about some T-shirts that disparaged her, and told how her daughter asked how they could say things like that about her, when they don't even know her. I wonder how well she and her ilk knew Obama when they made disparaging, untruthful remarks about him.
    ...Just ask me...

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Spexvet View Post
    I saw part of an interview with Palin this morning. She was whining about some T-shirts that disparaged her, and told how her daughter asked how they could say things like that about her, when they don't even know her. I wonder how well she and her ilk knew Obama when they made disparaging, untruthful remarks about him.
    Here Here!
    www.opticaljedi.com

Occupation

Firesign Theatre?

There, there!

Occupation
    Poor baby! So some people wore t-shirts that said something mean about her. I wonder what she would she say about this?

The Obama campaign was provided with reports from the Secret Service showing a sharp and disturbing increase in threats to Obama in September and early October, at the same time that many crowds at Palin rallies became more frenzied. Michelle Obama was shaken by the vituperative crowds and the hot rhetoric from the GOP candidates. "Why would they try to make people hate us?" Michelle asked a top campaign aide.
    Imagine having to worry about the physical safety of your family because someone is purposely inciting people to hate and fear you. What a whining hypocrite!

OptiBoard Administrator
    ----

Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Quote Originally Posted by shanbaum View Post
    There, there!

It's the Old same Place.
    DragonlensmanWV N.A.O.L.

Thread Information