Thread: Leaving MultiMillion Dollar Chain For Small Franchise

OptiBoard Novice

Question

I wanted to further investigate my options in the optical retail business. So I filled out an application at a smaller company, that a former supervisor at the company I currently work for used to work at. I threw together an impressive resume, and scored an interview. My ex- supervisor must've put in several good words, because I got the job, with NO salary negotiations. I'll be making about 30% MORE at this smaller company. PLUS, I'll get to get my hands dirty in the lab, which the company I work with now never allowed me to do. AND, I have more to offer the public in the way of beautiful high end frames, as well as top notch lens options. Most basic jobs could be processed in about an hour, the boutique, higher end lenses would take about a week. I'm psyched, and see this as a real career opportunity. I'm starting my second year in opticianry school in August.
    My boss at my current company that I submitted a two week notice at is frantically working to keep me aboard. I'm not conceited, but I know, and he knows I am a valuable asset to the company. I feel caught. I'm still wondering if this is what I should do. I cant look out for the interests of some huge multimillion dollar company. I have to look after yours truly. But I am bannished from ever working at this company ever again if I go to work for this other company, because they are considered a 'competitor'. I'm just wondering if this career gamble is worth it. Any thoughts?

Bad address email on file Darris Chambless's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Redhot Jumper

Hello grrrl,

If the company will "bannish" you forever for going to work for a compatitor then leave them and never look back. If they will take it that personally then they obviously believe in corporate rules of life which are as follows: Company, God, Family in that order of importance. The old "You don't want to work here anymore so we won't let you." scenario seems stupid to me ;-) But so goes the way of the "Lazy New Agers."

Take the gamble. It will be worth it in the long run if for no other reason than lifes education. Enjoy your new surroundings.

Darris "Ain't no one looking out for me except Me." Chambless

Bad address email on file stephanie's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Redhot Jumper

Banished?!! I had a similar experience with the independant dr. I started with. He made me extremely nervous and I was very intimidated by him and his son. I applied for another job, and I begged the dr. there not to call him unless she was positive she was going to hire me. Well apparently she was going to hire me and called. It set off a nuclear explosion and I was threatened that he would make sure that if I quit and went to work for her that not only would I not get that job, but he would see to it that I never got another optical job in the area. Scared and even a little embarrassed I reluctantly stayed. You will never be happy if you settle for something when you know what you could have. I DID get another job without any help from him. When my current employer called for a reference he told her that he did not know who I was and she still took a chance and hired me. My point is don't let people's intimidation and scare tactics stop you from doing what you want. I did that and almost had a nervous breakdown because of it. Go on to your new job and if you find you don't like it there go somewhere else.
    Good luck!
    Steph

Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)

I agree with Darris, first it's not like they are the "only" optical chain, once you get your Lic. then you can go into the private sector or to about any othe chain under the sun...Second, having access to a lab and getting to understand optics from start to finish it will improve your importence and value... Third, a chain with that type of attitude will be more then willing to toss you under the bus for any ole reason
    It's a scare tactic to keep employee turnover low, nothing more nothing less, also , in my opinion, STUPID .....
    There are just to many options available to stay with something that, does NOT improve you (lab work, etc. etc.)and keep staying in a enclosed work place for less money? a no brainer in my opinion... if you do go with this other place you'll take what you already know and can add the in-house lab experience to it and then if you have to move on you benifitted more then staying where you are at...

Just my opinion...

Jeff "Chain store is a proper name ..the "chain" the employee's" Trail

Occupation
    Optical Laboratory Technician

My advice would be to run - not walk - to the new job. Indulge yourself in the opportunity to expand your knowledge and hone your skills. The grass may not be greener on the other side, but maybe it at least won't have to be mowed as often.
    Don't know if you work for the same chain I do, but we have the same rehire policy. Like all rules, though, it was made to be broken. And if they can't break it, that just gives you another excuse to seek a job at a smaller firm.
    Good luck to ya!

Blake

Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field

Thumbs up

I concur with what everyone else is saying. I think you'll regret it if you don't take this opportunity. Good luck!

------------------
    Steve
    OptiBoard Administrator

Master OptiBoarder Joann Raytar's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    [QUOTE]Originally posted by Blake:

Don't know if you work for the same chain I do, but we have the same rehire policy. Like all rules, though, it was made to be broken. And if they can't break it, that just gives you another excuse to seek a job at a smaller firm.
    Good luck to ya!

Blake

If it is the same company Blake works for they will rehire. They rule applies to other super-opticals not just any competitor. I know of another company that has a "no-rehire" policy if you leave but I have known them to rehire anyway. If you go out and get as much experience as you can you will get back in wherever you are.

[This message has been edited by Jo (edited 06-28-2000).]

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    ...the company I work for has the same "no rehire" policy...in the past we've had several good people who had gotten into a career rut where they couldn't move up and were having to work under the (frustrating) direction of less optically knowledgeable "retail management experienced" people. These good people took a chance leaving...they spent time in other companies, learned about other methods & products, and then came back. They have gotten nice promotions with better pay by leaving and later returning. (It does help to already have your license but if you achieve it while gone, it just makes you more valuable.) It takes some "gumption" but if you leave to a better position, why would you want to go back anyway? If you are unhappy... its time to move on! Just be considerate when you leave: two weeks' notice and no nasty letters justifying your actions! Good luck!

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Gold Supporter Judy Canty's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Redhot Jumper

Been there...done that...best move I've ever made...keep in mind that those "ineligible for re-hire" rules tend to go away when licensed Opticians are in short supply! However, if you're ever tempted to go back, let us Optiboarders know. We'll keep you on the right path.. ;)

Master OptiBoarder Texas Ranger's Avatar

Just a view from the independent perspective, We don't work Sundays or evenings, and the opportunity to fit top product lines and do our own lab work can't be over appreciated. working for a big chain is like working in a vacumn, you sell only what you have to sell, and it's all about selling. Anyway, you'll be very appreciated at the new job, make more money, have less stress, have a more normal social life and be able to grow as an optician. Al.

OptiBoard Professional
    Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    Let me see if I understand this correctly. A 30% pay increase, a more varied work experience with top end product.....

What was the question?

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Oy....i use to live in old town & commuted to fairfax to work. yep....took off & worked somewhere in NC. oh and........then moved to NJ. but this will be the last move back to NC. i moved, i learned, i conquered.

don "go for it grrrl" A.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Arrow

FIRST....get out of N.Va....only kidding! I worked as an independant in the DC area for 18 years before I moved to Florida. The days of working for the same company for ever, unless you own it..as I have..are over. Go out see what the rest of the world is like.
    As for rehire...before I opened my store here, I worked for five years at a Florida based "Lenscrafters"wannnabe corporation..yes,those guys....,they would REHIRE people they FIRED and made them management....so much for that!

Thread Information