Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 1969?

OptiBoard Professional

Big Smile 1969?

Where were you during Woodstock 1969? I know it's not an optical question but I thought it would be fun to see what people were doing and if they can remember what they were doing.

AS Kenny Rodgers and The First Edition sang: I just dropped in to see what condition my condition was in. What condition were you in?:p

Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    I had just moved to Connecticut to live with my Dad when I heard of a 'free' concert in the neighboring state. I almost hitchhiked to Woodstock to go to the concert, but somehow I knew my Dad would object (I was just 16 at the time.)

I now wish I had tried to go anyway. It would have been an experience to remember!

OptiBoard Administrator
    ----
    OptiBoard has been proudly serving the Eyecare Community since 1995.

Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    I was 11, a total geek and dreaming of being the first woman astronaut. My husband, not 11 or a geek was in Vietnam.

Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor
    Living in Houston and running an underground newspaper called the WHIP (West Houston Independent Press) in my spare time. Stirring up trouble. Doing way to many drugs. And trying to make some money by working 2 jobs.
    Wanted to go to Woodstock, but cash money was a rare item then.

PS- I only have one active brain cell left. And I'm saving it for retirement.
    J. R. Smith

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Wave

:cheers: Well believe it or not i was there,as it was so close as B&L had just moved me up to Newburgh, N.Y. There will never be another. The only thing i was missing was Steves hairdo.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Big Smile Being born.

Depending on the month, I was being born in May of '69....Mullo

;)

Master OptiBoarder Cindy Hamlin's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I would have been 6 years old. I am sure I was batting my baby blues at my Daddy to get something at the toy store! It seemed to work every time!

~Cindy

Occupation
    Optical Laboratory Technician
    Well, I'm pretty sure I wasn't at Woodstock, in any way, shape or form. That was 6 years before I was born, and my parents were freshmen in high school (not trying to make anybody feel old... heh heh heh!!).

Blake

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Not wishing to add to the 'old' vibe, but my mother was 15 and my father was 18. I wasn't so much a twinkle in his eye as a look of teenaged desperation :)

Master OptiBoarder Joann Raytar's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    It's more a matter of what my folks were doing in 1969 since I was born in the Spring of 1970.

Bad address email on file OptiBoard Gold Supporter Sean's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I was 4 years old and probably hanging around out back in the lab of my dads shop.:)

OptiBoard Professional

Big Smile

I did not know we had so many young people on the board. I like Steve wanted to go but for reason's we won't go into did not make the trip. I was all of 18 at the time and was worrying more about getting drafted for the war then going to a concert now I wish I would have gone. Hind sight is beatiful.:bbg:

Bad address email on file Rich R's Avatar
    Occupation
    Optical Laboratory Technician
    I was into the rock and roll music of the 60's, but got married and my first optical job in 1968, son born in Jan. 1969, working 7 days a week, one full time and one part time job had no time or money for the music scene.
    Rich R

Bad address email on file stephanie's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Big Smile

I wasn't doing much of anything since I didn't exist until 1971. My dad was in Vietnam in 1969 so I guess it wasn't that great of a year for him anyway.

Steph

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Big Smile Not too bad though...

I guess it wasn't that bad though, he did return and have a great daughter!!!! :D :D :D :D :D :D Mullo

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Lens Manufacturer
    1969 a year worth remembering.

I was stationed on Okinawa in the Optical Lab. Met and married my wife Louise that year.

Met and had working for me a real sharpe kid who I have remained in contact with and consider a good friend today.

Steve and Darryl you'll appreciate this it was Mark Shupnick.

Jerry

Bad address email on file Corey Nicholls's Avatar

Wink

Same as Mullo!

Bad address email on file Jackie L's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

8 years old

Well, I was just 8 years old at the time, wishing I was older....

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Stick out tongue

I started '69 in NJ. I remember being too sleepy to stay up to watch the moonwalk in July, and then we were also getting ready to move to NC because my dad was getting out of the AF. Talk about culture shock: military base life and then senior year in a new small town where the only active military was the hated recruiter! I was 16, my dad was going back to college, and I didn't have a clue in the world about what I wanted to do with my life. As I creep on up to 50, I'm beginning to think I may have a handle on that question.
    JP

Objection! OptiBoard Gold Supporter shanbaum's Avatar
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor

Big Smile woodstock

Summer of '69 - big time, getting ready to go to college. No Woodstock for me. I do recall going to a "festival" at the Dallas International Speedway (anyone know the optical connection there?). The details, however, are... hazy.

But I DID attend the George Harrison's Concert for Bangladesh in - it was it '71, wasn't it? I can remember two things clearly: one, Ravi Shankar saying "I hope you enjoy the performance as much as the tuning" when the audience applauded after their warmup (it really is hard to distinguish from a "real" piece). And I can still hear George saying "I'd like to introduce a friend of all of ours, MR. BOB DYLAN".

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I turned 11years old two days after the moon walk. A week later, my best friend's brother came home from Nam in a body bag ( my best friend would die six years later from too much herion). We spend the most part of 1969 hoping 1970 would be better....we were wrong, of course.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Ahhh, yes . . . .'69

The year after I got my Associate Degree in Optics and ABO @ LACC, first job as optician sent out on assignment by manager to find a "screw extender tool" in the optical trades building downtown LA. Came back demoralized and joke of the department. Duhhh! Still working as back up drummer on the Tonight Show Band at NBC in Burbank, saving money to pay for upper div. college. Had a great time frolicking with Marsha on a 100% foam rubber sofa looked like it was made for Gumby!

Cape Codger OptiBoard Gold Supporter hcjilson's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

I passed on the invitation....

The Rainbow Man (Thom Klicka of Art fame, and the guy who brought me kicking and screaming into the late 60's scene) stopped by my Yarmouth office one Friday morning in his VW bus and said I was invited to a concert in New York state.By the slightly reminiscent of burning hemp smell in the bus and the crazed look in his eyes I figured there was not a little trouble up ahead if I accepted.Couple that with the fact I was supposed to be open on Saturday...and you have the reason I declined the invitation.I became convinced I did the right thing when, upon his return, he told me that he not only saw GOD, but had a breif conversation with Him.(sexist assumption on his part)Apparently he had ingested a small peice of blotter paper that MIGHT have had something on it promulgated by the late Dr Timothy Leary.In retrospect I should have gone......but then I would have had nothing to write about.I did however buy the Album....and the double cassettes for both of my cars.
    "Always laugh when you can. It is a cheap medicine"
    Lord Byron

Take a photo tour of Cape Cod and the Islands!
    www.capecodphotoalbum.com

Master OptiBoarder Texas Ranger's Avatar

Smilie

I spent '68 as a Navy Corpsman in DaNang, Vietnam, came home in early '69...took a leave of absense for a while.

Cape Codger OptiBoard Gold Supporter hcjilson's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Well earned Al

Well earned Al, thank you for your service in our name.
    bst from harry j
    "Always laugh when you can. It is a cheap medicine"
    Lord Byron

Take a photo tour of Cape Cod and the Islands!
    www.capecodphotoalbum.com

Thread Information