Thread: Polarized, Prescription Sunglass Question

Bad address email on file

Polarized, Prescription Sunglass Question

Hello:

I had a new pair of prescription polarized sunglasses made. As suggested, I specified that the lenses come from Younger. I am happy with them, other than some stress bi-refringences fringes in the mounting that can't seem to be totally eliminated.

However, they took an awfully long time to receive. Lab had to special order, etc.

My son now needs prescription, polarized, sunglasses also.

My question is:
    is it the collective wisdom here that:

-It really is worth going for, and waiting for, the Younger lenses for him?

-realistically, are most any polarized, prescription lenses that the Optician/Lab would use essentially equivalent to the extent
    that it would be unlikely to notice any "meaningful" differences?

I guess they all have UVA and B protection, now. True?

KB thought to be about the same "quality" as Younger ?

By the way, on my glasses, I was charges an additional $ 40.00 for a scratch resistant coating called TD2 by Essilor company, applied by the lab. Was this a reasonable
    price? Worth doing? Good coating, or better available?

Much thanks,
    Bob rgsrose@tiac.net

Banned
    Only City in the World built over a Volcano
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Most others

I have used a lot of other polarized lenses and have never had a performance problem. Do not be swayed by the most advertized, it sometimes means a company is in trouble and looking for exposure so someone will buy the company.

Don't go for the lowest priced either, it's probably junk or a company with the same problem.

Chip

Master OptiBoarder Joann Raytar's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Bobb:

I have always used polarized lenses from KBCo. or Specialty Lens. The new technology involved with making polarized lenses today has improved performance across the boards. Like Chip says, most brands are good brands.

They all offer UV protection.
    I am happy with them, other than some stress bi-refringences fringes in the mounting that can't seem to be totally eliminated.
    Even though the process of getting the polarized film in the lens has vastly improved polarized lenses still take a little extra care when being cut into a frame. A lens that is too big in circumference can create that stress. Another cause is the incorrect placement of the bevel that holds the lens into the frame. If the bevel is too far to the back of the lens you get a white ring showing through the front. If the rim of a metal frame hits that polarized film in the wrong spot, it can push down on it causing it to flex.

I love my own polarized lenses since I fish and have a long drive to work. They cut glare and boost contrast a bit so they beat regular sunglass lenses hands down.

sub specie aeternitatis Pete Hanlin's Avatar
    Occupation
    Lens Manufacturer
    We use both Younger and KBco polarized lenses. Both work equally well. The biggest quality issue with polarized lenses used to concern delamination. Delamination occurred when the "layers" that made up the polarized lens (which is actually a polarized filter sandwiched between two layers of lens material) seperated- thus destroying the lens.

Today, most polarized manufacturers create their lenses by molding the polarized layer directly into the liquid resin as the lens is cast (someone correct me if I've mis-stated this), and we very rarely see delamination.

As to the scratch coating, I can't think of a polarized lens that doesn't already come with scratch coating. Unless you are getting a warranty of some kind that guarantees replacement of the lens if it scratches, I would forgo the $40 (I assume they're not actually putting a scratch coating on the back side of the lens- which is uncoated, because Rx polarized lenses must be ground down from semi-finished blanks). For $40, I hope you are getting some kind of warranty, anyway.

Jo is correct about the fringes coming from pressure points. That said, a lot of the Rx polarized lenses I see have them (especially those with a very light Rx, because they are thinner)- even when the most modern trace and edge finishing systems have been used. I notice they show up in polycarb polarized to a much greater extent than regular resins. If they are truly excessive in their appearance, consider returning to have the lenses sized down.

I'm just happy to see one more patient in polarized lenses. Polarization is one of the optical products that I consider "worth the bucks you pay."

Pete

Master OptiBoarder Texas Ranger's Avatar

Smilie

Pete, The TD2 coating is on both surfaces, and is worth getting...but $40 seems a little high, but most of our polarized jobs, we do with Crizal so that you have AR and a 2 year scratch warranty, it's about a $60 add on, but is a better value to the pts. P.s. you're in "northern" Florida, so I would think being a "yankee would be no problem, to be more comfortable , you move to south Florida, where the rest of you guys are!

Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    Let's not forget the implications of discussing wholesale prices in a public forum. People often don't understand there other are costs associated with providing products and services and that these are built into the retail price.

Just a thought!

OptiBoard Administrator
    ----
    OptiBoard has been proudly serving the Eyecare Community since 1995.

Master OptiBoarder Texas Ranger's Avatar

Smilie

Steve, who mentioned wholesale prices in this post? I was speaking of retail to a consumer, I assumed.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I think you'll find there's two threads about's Bobb's lenses, and the other one mentions wholesale prices.

How could you doubt our brave and fearless leader? :D

Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    Al,

My mistake. Maria's correct in that wholesale prices were mentioned in another of Bobb's threads.

OptiBoard Administrator
    ----
    OptiBoard has been proudly serving the Eyecare Community since 1995.

Thread Information