Thread: SOCO Challenge

Master OptiBoarder Joann Raytar's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Post SOCO Challenge

I am not affiliated with the Conneticut Opticians Association and I have no profesional bias on this subject. I am asking for information from any members of the Society of Connecticut Opticians, SOCO. I call it a challenge in fairness to the COA. A month or two ago I posted a similar challenge for information about the COA. I recieved numerous positive responses from COA members regarding what the COA does for opticians. At this point, I do believe that the COA is working at securing a strong future for Opticians in the State of CT.

I understand that SOCO is a newly formed organization but I cannot find any information generated directly from SOCO. I have heard about a letter from SOCO being sent to CT opticians. After reading the claims, I am not getting a very positive feeling from SOCO. The feeling I get from the letter leads me to believe that the society is based more on personal issues than professional issues. Again, I have not heard anything directly from SOCO that would help me think otherwise. The letter sets a tone of bringing back the past instead of looking towards the future. While many practices may have worked 10-15 years ago, I do not believe they are beneficial today.

Due to the content of COA member responses to my previous posts, I believe that the COA today is much stronger and represents a larger population of Opticians than it used to. It would seem that I am getting the wrong impression according to SOCO's letter. Please take this opportunity to fill me in on what SOCO is about. I am open minded and my current opinions are not written in stone.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    It has been over two weeks since I posted the challenge for information about SOCO. I have decided to join the COA due to a lack of response from SOCO and difficulty in finding information about them even offline.

I managed to get a membership application and I did find what I think is their website; the mailing address for Eye-Conn Network is the same as SOCO's. Now I am not even sure if I can join. I work for an OD and it appears that the members are all firms and they are all the old CT Guild shops. I am not sure because no one I talk to on a regular basis is a member.

My only concern would be my representation in the OAA. OAA Constitution and Bylaws, ARTICLE IV-**MEMBERSHIPS, Section 3-Membership Criteria, B. Individual Membership
    2. An Individual Member whose mailing address is in a state that has a State Society Member shall be represented by delegates from that State Society Member on the Delegate Assembly.
    Does this mean if I join the COA because I believe that they are operating in the best interest of Opticianry that I have no representation in the OAA? Or am I represented by a member whose ideas I do not believe in? The COA has more members and represents folks from more optical backgrounds. Why isn't the COA a member of the OAA? Is it because one of the members of SOCO's committee is on the OAA Guild Council?

I am asking opinions of anyone now, not just SOCO.
    Last edited by Joann Raytar; 06-25-2001 at 08:55 PM.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

COA Member?

As a COA Commissioner, let me assure everyone that may be a bit confused that we do not have members. We are strictly an accrediting agency for two year Opticianry programs and one year lab programs. While we appreciate your interest, memberships are not offered.I do encourage you all to support your state iorganizations and the national organizations. Those groups fund our on-going efforts to make certain Opticianry programs meet national standards of excellence.

Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    I think Jo is talking about a different group - the Connecticut Optician's Association (the other COA!)

OptiBoard Administrator
    ----
    OptiBoard has been proudly serving the Eyecare Community since 1995.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Steve,

You are right. Jo is talking about the COA. I also noticed your ad lib. You forgot all around cool guy.

Bev

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Connecticut Opticians Association

Sorry, wmcdonald! We went through this once before on a previous thread; I should have typed out the Connecticut Opticians Association so there would be no confusion.

Mea culpa, mea culpa
    :)

Thread Information