Thread: Job

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Redhot Jumper Job

I don't know about your state but finding work or finding Opticians to fill spots is extremely difficult in Western N.Y. Anyone know any better?

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I find that same situation here in SE PA. I am not in the market for a job....Da*n good thing, there are very few that show up in the local and metro Philly papers. The ones that do locally are usually from the same 2 places! They must be a real treat to work for ;) . I have found that the best resource to find jobs or opticians are sales reps. Although, it seems that reps come and go and the ones that stay are not truly in tune to what is going on other then what they have to ram down your throats to meet there sales quatoas.

Fezz
    :cheers:

OptiBoard Apprentice Steelerfan's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Where in Western NY?

Jediron1,

I have seen you post before. Where in Western NY are you that you have such a hard time finding opticians? Perhaps we can help each other out.

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I Think That Is All Over These Days Most Places Are Looking For Cheap Helpthey Hire Any Body With Any Experince Just They Are Looking For Someone With The Lowest Pay.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Fezz
    I find that same situation here in SE PA. I am not in the market for a job....Da*n good thing, there are very few that show up in the local and metro Philly papers. The ones that do locally are usually from the same 2 places! They must be a real treat to work for ;) . I have found that the best resource to find jobs or opticians are sales reps. Although, it seems that reps come and go and the ones that stay are not truly in tune to what is going on other then what they have to ram down your throats to meet there sales quatoas.

Fezz
    :cheers:

I have contacted a number of reps I used to know but they refuse or don't want to answer my e-mails, same with Opticians on this board who are from my area Western N.Y., they just won't reply to an e-mails, it's almost like they have " leave me alone attitude" I don't get it, but nothing I can do about it. ;)

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by EDO
    I Think That Is All Over These Days Most Places Are Looking For Cheap Helpthey Hire Any Body With Any Experince Just They Are Looking For Someone With The Lowest Pay.

I find that mostly in MD or OD offices who at least in my area won't pay anymore than 16.00 per hr.. Now I don't know about you but I find that rate of pay an insult. Most of what you say happens at places like LC and from my insiders at Sears same is happening there also. They want huge sales with the cheapest payroll they can get away with. People who live in licensed states should start to blow these people in and then maybe you would see a change
    in places like LC and Sears. I now for a fact there are people in LC in licensed states who don't have a lincense and are working there because they were top sellers in phones or shoes and they figure they can do the same in optical. Makes my head hurt. :hammer:

Vision Equipment OptiBoard Corporate Sponsor Leo Hadley Jr's Avatar
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor
    The pay rates in Buffalo are low because of the economy, and the fact that E.C.C. is right there in town with an opticianry program.

Go west about 75 miles and you will see the pay start to increase significantly.

OLR
    X-Buffalonian
    Leo Hadley Jr
    Vision Equipment
    T: 855.776.2020

www.visionequipmentinc.com

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    butting in here.........

they can't dispense, measure, sell, put in nosepads, adjust, ANYTHING without us on site........no different than a pharmacist. granted they HAVE to get a degree, but the pay difference is incredible. pharmicist make about 90k to start.... any of you opticians, in ANY state making that??????
    just curious. :drop:

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Gold Supporter Judy Canty's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Unfortunately, Opticians are not required to satisfy the same educational requirements as a pharmacist. When we begin to understand that college level education is the only way we advance, survive even, as a profession, then we can and should command a comensurate pay level. Until then, we waste our energy wailing and gnashing our teeth, decrying the big box retailers who have turned eyewear and even eye exams into a commodity. When Opticians as employers refuse to hire anyone without an Opticianry degree, and when would be Opticians believe that to be the best is to be college-educated and trained, we will remain at the bottom of the food chain.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by ohmjennie
    butting in here.........

they can't dispense, measure, sell, put in nosepads, adjust, ANYTHING without us on site........no different than a pharmacist. granted they HAVE to get a degree, but the pay difference is incredible. pharmicist make about 90k to start.... any of you opticians, in ANY state making that??????
    just curious. :drop:
    I don't make 90 but that is my point, if you want good money ( between 22-27 per hour ) you have to go to the BIG BOXES, they are the only one's paying for good opticians. I don't care what you say I have found not one Doc ( MD or OD ) that was willing to pay more than 17.00 per and that is after 25 years experience. They look at the resume and then your pay stub and say we will call you, been over 3 years phone hasn't rung yet! Just my 2 cents

Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    well said ~ I think it sums the situation very well

Quote Originally Posted by Judy Canty
    Unfortunately, Opticians are not required to satisfy the same educational requirements as a pharmacist. When we begin to understand that college level education is the only way we advance, survive even, as a profession, then we can and should command a comensurate pay level. Until then, we waste our energy wailing and gnashing our teeth, decrying the big box retailers who have turned eyewear and even eye exams into a commodity. When Opticians as employers refuse to hire anyone without an Opticianry degree, and when would be Opticians believe that to be the best is to be college-educated and trained, we will remain at the bottom of the food chain.

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Big Boxes??????????

WHAT'S THAT???????????

Quote Originally Posted by jediron1
    I don't make 90 but that is my point, if you want good money ( between 22-27 per hour ) you have to go to the BIG BOXES, they are the only one's paying for good opticians. I don't care what you say I have found not one Doc ( MD or OD ) that was willing to pay more than 17.00 per and that is after 25 years experience. They look at the resume and then your pay stub and say we will call you, been over 3 years phone hasn't rung yet! Just my 2 cents

Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    Moved to General Discussion forum.

OptiBoard Administrator
    ----
    OptiBoard has been proudly serving the Eyecare Community since 1995.

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter Jubilee's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Big boxes are the chains. Lenscrafters, Costco, Walmart, etc.

Cassandra
    "Some believe in destiny, and some believe in fate. But I believe that happiness is something we create."-Something More by Sugarland

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by markssunwear
    WHAT'S THAT???????????

Jub told what is meant by the BIG BOXES and if you will re-read my post #10
    the reason I mentioned the BIG BOXES is because they are the only one's that will pay a decent wage, most DOC's try to keep you in the dark ages. just my 2 cents

Rising Star
    Occupation
    Optometrist

Move to CA

Is western NY a competitve market? It's not uncommon for a good optician to start around $40k in an OD office in my area.

Bad address email on file mhboptics's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    The problem with Opticians getting a good salary, one alot of us deserve, is that the ABO and state exams are to easy. There is an abundance of Opticians in my area and most do not seem to have the proper qualifications. I feel that I am fortunate to work for a private practice that was established almost 50 years ago, I make them alot of money and they pay fairly decent, $63,000. I believe all qualified Opticians should be making at least that amount!

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by mhboptics
    The problem with Opticians getting a good salary, one alot of us deserve, is that the ABO and state exams are to easy. There is an abundance of Opticians in my area and most do not seem to have the proper qualifications. I feel that I am fortunate to work for a private practice that was established almost 50 years ago, I make them alot of money and they pay fairly decent, $63,000. I believe all qualified Opticians should be making at least that amount!

If they don't have proper qualifications the N.Y. state opticians web page has a thread for turning in unqualified people. Just go to: http://www.nysso.org/

and on the left hand side there is a link that says:

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by AEOC
    Is western NY a competitve market? It's not uncommon for a good optician to start around $40k in an OD office in my area.

They may start at 40k but as I understand it ( and this comes from cousin who lives in San D. area ) the standard of living or I should say the price of living out in Calif. is much higher than Western N.Y. Just my 2 cents

Thread Information