Hi All:

On 14 Feb 02, I wrote the following letter to the ABO. To date I have received no reply and if past history proves correct, there will be none. In my opinion, there seems to be an on-going problem with the ABO/NCLE CE approval process. Comments?

14 February 2002

Roy R. Ferguson, Ph.D.
P.O. Box 5170
Sevierville, Tennessee 37864

Mr. Michael H. Robey, Executive Manager
American Board of Opticianry
6506 Loisdale Road, Suite 209
Springfield, Virginia 22150

Dear Mr. Robey:

The following ABO approved courses are being presented at SECO 2002 in Atlanta, Georgia, 20 – 24 February 2002:

Principles of Supervision –
This introductory course will cover supervision and management principles, organizational career path, transitional issues, the nature of leadership, goals for self-development, and personnel practice in a variety of practice settings. Designed for managers/supervisors with less than two years experience.
Optical Ethics –
This course will give the ophthalmic professional fundamental knowledge in theoretical and applied ethics as they relate to the profession. The differences between business and medical ethics will be explored. Factors affecting ethical behavior will be presented, along with some difficult topics including Rx release, patient confidentiality, monocular patients, and relations with other ophthalmic professions.

On 5 August 1999, I was notified that the education committee disapproved several of my college-level business/management courses because “the level requested is considered is inappropriate for the title of “Introduction….” It was cited that the courses cannot be considered continuing education for certified opticians.” Additionally, on December 21, 1998 the education committee disapproved four college-level ethics courses because the “basic exam test specifications do not include ethics…related domains.

I would appreciate clarification of all changes to course approval criteria that has occurred since the ABO denied continuing education approval for my submitted courses.

Sincerely,

Roy R. Ferguson, Ph.D.