Thread: Help !

Bad address email on file

I am in need of advice.

I have recently relocated my office. I purchased the office about 1.5 years ago. It had been located in the basement of a drugstore since 1963. Basicly I got sick of people saying "I have been in Ann Arbor 20 years and never knew you were here." We are now on the main level right accross from campus (UofM) in a European style arcade. Along with us there are destination shops including a Tobbacinist, jewler, antique shop and 2 high end clothing shops.

The store is stark white with swirled stainless steel furnishings and looks pretty hi-tech. The entire front of the store is windows. I Only have room for about 500 frames, but those 500 are pretty choice. All of them are in the upper range. Kenneth Cole Armani, CK, Lanvin, Silhouette etc.

I have a doctor who will come in 1 day a week.

What I need help with is....How do I get the word out. My first thought was to use my files. However, the previous owner did not give much thought to addresses. Since over half the client base is student I am not sure how much that would have helped anyway.
    Would it be appropiate to call patients and let them know we moved? Or would that be tacky?

Can you suggest any avenues of advertising that have worked for you? Any promotinoal ideas would be greatly appriciated.

Other things as well. How much sunwear should I carry? How much of a discount to Students? Should I offer a free shoe shine with glasses? Etc. Etc. Etc.

The funny thing about this is....When I worked for someone else I ALWAYS knew how to run their buisness. Now I "don't know **** from shinola" (whatever that is).

Thank you in advance for the good information I know will be forthcoming.

Regards,

Shane Broyles

sub specie aeternitatis Pete Hanlin's Avatar
    Occupation
    Lens Manufacturer

Our best success has been with newsletters. In your case, this may be frustrated by the fact that many of your addresses are not current.

For the students, there is usually a student-run service on campus that will post fliers on all the dorm bulletin boards (at FSU, they'll even post them on the back of the stall doors in the bathroom- we haven't taken them up on that one yet). Try calling the student council. Also, the college will usually have several "fairs" in the Student Union or on the campus grounds (Health Fairs, etc.). We've had some success by handing fliers out at these events.

For the non-student portion of your patients, try to weed out the bad addresses as best you can and send out a 4-8 page newsletter with features on the products you carry, your new location, and perhaps a sale item or two. We usually get about 3% direct response (they show up within a week or two with the newsletter in hand), which is pretty good as far as advertising goes.

If you are really unsure about your addresses, you can obtain a mailing list for your zip code from the post office (although mailing to people who aren't currently customers doesn't tend to work as well). Always include some kind of dated ad in your mailing- to make it easier to track response.

I would highly recommend building a web site for your office. You can use print advertising to point to your site (where you can say a lot more for a lot less). Our site has been a successful tool over the past 2 years The EyeSite

You could also try displaying frames in some of the shops in your mall (with a small sign that directs them to your office). Perhaps some frames on the manequins in the dress shop???

Oh well, I've rambled long enough... good luck!

Pete

Master OptiBoarder Texas Ranger's Avatar
    Shane, just want to wish you well in your venture, don't know much about student markets, but Pete gave you some great advice, don't overlook the faculty as a market. Do they have a student publication, that needs ads. maybe a little maize and blue in the window display would help! Al.

Banned
    Only City in the World built over a Volcano
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Call two talk radio stations, one right one left, sponsor Rush Lembaugh locally and some one on the left locally. Cheap and effective, you wouldn't believe how many people listen to this stuff that have money!

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor

We used the DMV and purchased a list of all eyeglass wearers within a 3-4 mile radius. You can also have the USPO verify that the addresses that you have are good, contact them and ask what format they need to be submitted in. As for college students, their weekly newspaper works well also if you are running towards high-end try an alternative paper.

Occupation
    I'm fascinated. Please explain how you were able to obtain such a list from DMV. It seems that this info would be invaluable.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Sgreen,
    I am also interested in how you obtained the mailing lists for eyeglass wearers from the DMV. I was not aware they sold this information. Please tell us more...it's a great idea!!

Thanks,
    Vicki

Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field

Thumbs down

Hmmm....you guys may think this is a good idea, but I'm concerned about the invasion of privacy this entails. Frankly I don't like the idea of the government selling my personal information to businesses - or anyone else for that matter.

Does anyone remember the case of the actress who was murdered by a stalker who got her address from the DMV? Are you really in favor of such a system that makes it so easy to find addresses and other personal information?

------------------

OptiBoard Administrator

[This message has been edited by Steve Machol (edited 03-19-2001).]

OptiWizard
    Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)

Geez Steve, you're sounding paranoid...but, after what you've just been thru, I understand.

Do you ever wonder how the junk mail folks get your name and address? There is so much information available about us from marketeers that the government doesn't have to collect any info, they could just buy a mailing list.

Typically, the info (like DMV stats) is bought by a business specializing in selling lists. You want a list of left-handed males with red hair who drink Budweiser...and wear specs? Just ask, it's available.

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation

The DMV, in Louisiana, will sell you a list or mailing labels for all drivers that have an eyeglass / contact lens restriction on their license. You will also have to sign a note that you will not murder any of them ...until after they become your customer. <g>

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Thumbs up

Shane, Congradulations on taking the plunge!

FYI: I am old enough to know what Shinola is. It is shoe polish - usually black or very dark brown back, back in the days when that saying originated. So now you do have a good chance of knwoing the difference ;o)

For God's sake, and yours as well, show up every day and be consistant with hours. None of this sign on the door stuff.

We found a coupon book which was distributed by the local C of C to all students and facalty each enrolement period to be very good. I advertised FREE eyewear tune-ups plus twenty-five dollars off a complete new pair (no other discounts apply).

Join the local C of C or Merchants association.

Get involved in the local Lions or Rotary or other service organization.

Maybe an ad in the school paper - but I must say that newspaper adverts are nearly last on my list.

Lots of other good suggestions above.

Now, go out and do what seems right to you!

Occupation
    Best of luck with your new location.It sounds terrific! I definately concur with faculty newsleters and student union postings. Do you have a concrete idea of what your advertising budget is? If minimal try community grassroots programs, chamber of commerce, service organizations such as Lions Clubs, etc.Also, approach major employers in your area with discount proposals. Maximize that windows space! If you feel your merchandising skills need assistance, seek vendor support. I head a consulting firm that specializes in strategic planning, etc. in the optical industry. Don't worry this is not a solicitation for business! Always happy to return the free advise I've been given by Optiboarders. If you would like to spend some time think-tanking email me and we'll set up a phone conference.

Occupation

Originally posted by Jim G:
    Geez Steve, you're sounding paranoid...but, after what you've just been thru, I understand.
    Nah, I've been a privacy advocate long before the recent events in my life. It's the 'libertarian' streak in me! :D

I just don't think that anyone has a right to my or your personal and private information. And I especially deplore the government being involved in selling this information to anyone - particularly when we have are forced to provide this information in the first place if we want to drive and own automobiles.

For the record, several companies have offered to 'buy' the email addresses and personal info of registered OptiBoard members. I've turned them down as per my stated commitment in the OptiBoard Privacy Statement & Terms of Use.

If anyone wants to let me sell their info, please let me know. I could use the money! :D

------------------

OptiBoard Administrator

[This message has been edited by Steve Machol (edited 03-19-2001).]

Bad address email on file Jackie L's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Steve, I admire your intregrity in not selling out. Junk e-mail is becoming a problem along with fax and snail junk mail.

Jackie O

------------------

Still a Maina for now

Occupation
    Consumer or Non-Eyecare field

Of course a printer is going to say to do a mailing....but I also say so because we moved our shop about 5 years ago and the mailing worked great. we actually moved across the street and down a ways. Our mailer was a play on the old theme "why did the chicken cross the road..."

Thanks to all of you for your great advice.
    The dust from the move has almost settled.

A quick update. Since moving we had our best month since purchasing the practice. It is SO WONDERFUL to have the window catch someones eye....and have them come in and buy something. WOW!

I have taken most of your advice to heart. The ads in the student and faculty newspapers have not really shown much response yet. The best advertisment so far has been word of mouth and the windows. The word of mouth I love because it means we are doing something right. (Now I have to figure out what that is)

Here is a window display that is getting plenty of attention. I took an old record player, found a glass head at Pier 1 wrapped it in aluminium foil, put a cool frame on the head and let it rotate. People go crazy for it.

Again thanks.

Occupation
    Ophthalmic Technician
    Try the Campus radio station. CJSW at the University of Calgary has a yearly funding drive where they sell discount cards, offer to be a sponser. Also their ad rates are usually very little compared to commerical radio.
    "It's not impossible. I used to bull's-eye womp rats in my T-16 back home."

Occupation
    shane, when you are taking your clients details, make sure you get e mail addresses,it will save you a fortune in postage costs, and your clients will feel it is a more personal service than a mail out.
    It is also a great marketing tool, once you have a good size patient base you can really target specific patient groups with e mails

e.g you can find out from your data base who has not bought presciption sunwear from you, so you can send a special offer to those patients

good luck
    To find out what,s happening in the UK optical market:
    http://theOptom.com

Thread Information