Thread: Definity

Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field

Definity

What's the scoop with this? Are the claims holding up? Are patients resistant to the price?

Bad address email on file
    Speaking for myself, I have no idea what you are referring to. Could you elaborate?

Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    chm2023 is refering to this product:

http://www.optiboard.com/forums/show...&threadid=7377

OptiBoard Administrator
    ----
    OptiBoard has been proudly serving the Eyecare Community since 1995.

Thanks, Steve!

Anything that helps reduce the "swim" factor has to be good, but the 4th zone sounds interesting but potientially troublesome. "Mrs Jones, look down through the strongest part of the lens to read up close, but don't look too far down..."

Bad address email on file Susan Henault's Avatar
    While I don't have a specific response to your inquiry, I'll be very interested to find out what others have to say. I have seen very little activity in my market (W. PA, OH, WV) by J&J, though I have heard that they are hitting some areas further east very hard.

The one account in my area that has tried the product, said they could only get it in a 1.56 mid-index material, only with A/R (not without) and only uncut (not edged) and as you mentioned -- at a premium price. The availability options may have since changed. The article Steve offered mentions multiple materials and says nothing about the other limitations.

sub specie aeternitatis Pete Hanlin's Avatar
    Occupation
    Lens Manufacturer
    I believe the availability is now CR-39, Polycarbonate, and NG Trans with a 1.6 due out at any time.

In the interest of providing information to those who desire it, J&J has a website www.definity.com with official information on this lens.

In the interest of someone who works for a competitor and has evaluated the design, I'd point out that the design is virtually unchanged from the 2000 design J&J originally tried to market (using wafer technology, which was abandoned shortly after the initial launch). The "Unique 4th Zone" is a new marketing statement for 2003.

Regarding the "4th Zone" (which requires a >22mm fitting height to even cut out), unfortunately aberrations which occur in the PAL periphery are more troublesome than the blur created by the add power when viewing distant objects low in the lens (like stairs). Therefore, it serves a limited practical purpose (other designs have featured a similar zone in the past- it does help thin the lens design a bit).
    Pete Hanlin, ABOM
    Vice President Professional Services
    Essilor of America

http://linkedin.com/in/pete-hanlin-72a3a74

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Definity

Hi:

It's a terrific lens! We've been using them for select patients for 5 or 6 months now (dispensed maybe 25 pair) and the typical patient reaction is that they don't know they're wearing a multifocal. Except for 1 non-adapt, a pleasure to dispense.

As Pete said, they just added CR-39, Hi-Index (1.6) and transitions, supplied ONLY with AR. Originallywe could only get their proprietary type of polycarb, also only with AR. No tinting, and the 22mm seems to be a must. They also just expanded the Rx range beyond 5.00 D.

They are a little pricey, as are the other "premium" lenses with "premium" AR coat. They should be compared to Zeiss Individual with Foundation, Hoya Summit, Panamic with Crizal, etc.

I'm waiting to try a pair in my Rx (out of range until 3 weeks ago) but I'm not the best test... I seem to adapt to almost any progressive.

Anyone else out there using Definity?

I'll keep you posted as I get more experience with them.

Rich

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    We have been using Definity for the past year and find that it is a well accepted lens. We present it as a different design that offers far less distortion. We even have our cutomer/patients bringing their friends and family in to purchase this lens. We are averaging one sale per day.
    We had one non-adapt, that actually turned out to be buyers remorse due to $$$ since it is a more pricey lens.
    Customer service from J&J is excellent. Exchanges, replacements,
    Rx changes, etc are NEVER a problem with them picking up all shipping costs.
    I wear the lens myself and have found it superior to anything else. If you have the clients that are willing to spend a little extra, I would give it a try. We have an upscale practice and have distinguished our ourselves with the use of Definity and have added to our bottom line.

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter varmint's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    opticman said:

Customer service from J&J is excellent.
    All I can say is good luck with J&J. You may feel this way now, but wait till they decide the product isn't profitable enough & discontinue it without any further backup or support.
    Been there, done that.....no thanks J&J, I'll stick with Essilor.:angry:

One eye sees, the other feels OptiBoard Silver Supporter
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Re: Definity

Rich said: I'm waiting to try a pair in my Rx (out of range until 3 weeks ago)
    I have found the following strategy invaluable in determining the functionality of the different PAL brands, and in realizing the folly of listening to the manufactuer's marketing departments hype. When you get your new Definity lenses have a pair of Panamics, Life, Genesis, Max, or your favorite standard corridor PAL made in the same frame and lens material. Is the Definity a better lens? Or for that matter is it as good as the others? See for yourself. Note: your Rx add power should be at least +1.75 for this type of comparison test. In lower powers it's hard to tell the soft designs apart and any corridor length issues are masked by accommodation.

Robert

Occupation
    Optical Retail
    I know about the lens from just trying to stay current with whats out there. But here on the west coast we have seen no action from any type of sales/marketing force. I do know that when the first release was scrapped they had a sales force that was just sitting getting paid for about 9 months before they were all laid off.

That "4th" zone really doesn't seem to be something that will really benefit the patient besides giving the lens some thinner edges as Pete pointed out.

I don't usually have 22+ in the PAL's I dispense so I am more curious about the minimum required.

ad

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Hey Varmint, why are you so worried about a product being discontinued? Our customers have had success and enjoyment using this product. So, as long as it is being manufactured, we will use it and enjoy the benefits it gives.
    Gee whiz, when any good product is discontinued, you move on and find a replacement. My Mom had a refrigerator for 36 years and when it finally gave out and she could not replace it because the company that made it was out of business, she didn't carry on and be as negative as you are.
    Try it. Your customers will love it, you will look as if you know what you are doing and you will make money.

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter varmint's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Opticman, I guess it's just personal for me with J&J. I won't use any of their products as long as I can find a suitable substitution. I had to take a line of credit on my home to pay off the the equipment they screwed me on, so thats why the bitter taste.

Banned
    Only City in the World built over a Volcano
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I just hope J & J doesn't destroy the opthalmic business like they have the contact lens business.

Chip:angry:

Independent Problem Optiholic edKENdance's Avatar
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Donning flame retardant suit....now

Thread Information