View Poll Results: Do you intend to participate in the "Check Yearly, See Clearly" campaign?

Voters
13. You may not vote on this poll
  • I am currently participating in CYSC.

6 46.15%
  • I intend to begin using the CYSC program, but I have not started yet.

3 23.08%
  • I have not yet decided whether or not I will participate in CYSC.

2 15.38%
  • I have decided not to participate in CYSC.

2 15.38%

Thread: Check Yearly, See Clearly?

Bad address email on file

Smilie Check Yearly, See Clearly?

VCA has developed a marketing campaign, "Check Yearly, See Clearly", to encourage annual/regular eye exams. The program offers various materials with a :) logo.

Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    Seven votes so far but no comments? This is your chance to give them feedback on this campaign. :)

OptiBoard Administrator
    ----
    OptiBoard has been proudly serving the Eyecare Community since 1995.

Occupation
    A step in the right direction. A PR or ad campaign direct to consumers from VCA that really launched awareness would make this much more interesting, and much more valuable. It looks to me like VCA is relying on point of sale delivery of this message--hate to be negative about anything that tries to drive a message on the importance of eyecare to the patient--but if the patient sees this message only when he visits his doctor/dispenser, and this is about once every 2 years, where is the awareness build?

consumer advertising

Direct-to-consumer education is a much discussed topic related to this program. A similar program is the recommendation of the ADA to have dental checkups every six months. We don't see commercials from the ADA, but they have somehow made their message important enough that they got all the toothpaste companies to recommend the checkups on their product and in their advertising. Any marketing pros out there who know how they managed to do this?

Bad address email on file SuziBlueEyes's Avatar

CYSC Ideas

Hello! :)

Vision Expo West 2002, I came to the OptiBoard meeting in the LIVE Eyewear booth and handed out CYSC shirts, pencils and information.

How would you like to see VCA promote "Check Yearly. See Clearly." ?

Your thoughts and ideas would be very helpful to assist VCA in making this program more successful!

The CYSC website is http://www.checkyearly.com if you want more information, to purchase materials and download the logos.

Hope this helps!

Bad address email on file optigoddess's Avatar
    At least once a day I find myself "defending" my position to NOT renew an expired Rx or neutralize old lenses...after all, the customer seems to just KNOW when their eyes need a change (note: sarcasm). The public does need some education as to WHY eye health exams are important...it's NOT JUST a way to dig into their pocketbooks as so many seem to think.

I work for a large retailer & was surprised to learn that our company is listed as a sponsor. Hmmm...I didn't know that.

Perhaps encourage the top retailers to feature the campaign in their print & tv ads.

Here's another idea I thought of.

It seems that the brochures are well thought out and quite specific to certain audiences (baby boomers, females, sports, sun etc) yes, I think that it is important to put the information out in our waiting rooms...but the patient is already there...it seems we need to get the message out to people who AREN'T getting regular eye exams, right?

Let's say that you get the sports eyewear brochures & contact the local health clubs to see about putting the brochures in their business.

For the brochure "A Female Perspective" you could contact the ob/gyn's, hair & nail salons etc. to put out in their offices/businesses.

Regarding the sunwear brochures, how about tanning shops?

"it's all in the family tree" -- family medical practices....

For the senior brochures, the senior centers, senior advocacy offices etc....

Perhaps regarding the computer brochures: how about contacting the office-based employers & setting the brochures out in the breakroom or perhaps having the information included in with the paychecks?

I think the cost is reasonable (100/$5.00) as a way to introduce/advertise your practice or optical to people who you might not otherwise be able to connect with.

Just some ideas -

Karen

Bad address email on file SuziBlueEyes's Avatar

Great Idea - Keep 'Em Coming!

Many optical manufacturers, retailers and associations have the CYSC logo on their websites and print ads. A listing can be found on checkyearly.com. The site also has a practice locator.

I really liked the idea about sending brochures to health/wellbeing-related businesses.

I'll pass it along! Thanks!

Occupation

Re: consumer advertising

TammyD said:
    Direct-to-consumer education is a much discussed topic related to this program. A similar program is the recommendation of the ADA to have dental checkups every six months. We don't see commercials from the ADA, but they have somehow made their message important enough that they got all the toothpaste companies to recommend the checkups on their product and in their advertising. Any marketing pros out there who know how they managed to do this?

I don't know this for certain, but my recollection is this originally was a quid pro quo with Crest--they (Crest/ P & G) brought out the first fluoride toothpaste and their claimed approval by the ADA (for the fluoride part, not the Crest part but this was doubtless lost on the average consumer). Crest in turn hammered the 6 month check up message long and hard. Eventually everyone jumped on the bandwagon.

I guess the point is, in order to get optical advertisers i.e. manufacturers to run with this message, there needs to be something in it for them. Maybe some sort of preferred supplier status??

CHM2023-

Your point is very well taken. As much as people say they want to be philanthropic, it is difficult to get anyone to fork out money without the expectation of a return. Even the non-profits have figured this out. Girl Scouts probably make a buck a box on the cookies they sell. How long do you think it would take them to make even half the money they make off of the cookies by just saying, "Hey, ours is a good cause. Wanna give us a dollar?" It is human nature to want something in return for what we give.

So who could benefit financially from a program like this?
    (Please let me say in advance that there are many threads on this site that argue whether or not making money is wrong. If possible, I’d like to avoid rehashing that argument here. For this discussion, let’s assume the worst and say that the only way we can spread the valuable message of promoting regular eye exams is by finding a way for someone to profit from it. Thanks!)

Tammy

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Gold Supporter Judy Canty's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    There are some pretty heavy hitters out there advertising directly to the consumer, Varilux, Transitions and Vistakon (Accuvue) to name a few. Perhaps they can be convinced to add the CYSC tag to existing promos. I would think it's a win-win. More exams equal more lenses sold. However, as an independent (no doc) Optician, how do I utilize the progam more effectively?

sub specie aeternitatis Pete Hanlin's Avatar
    Occupation
    Lens Manufacturer
    I guess the point is, in order to get optical advertisers i.e. manufacturers to run with this message, there needs to be something in it for them. Maybe some sort of preferred supplier status??
    I don't think there is any preferred supplier stuff going on here. Heck, Essilor donates a ton of money and effort in getting the CYSC info out and we aren't even listed on the sponsors page of the official website (I believe most members of the VCA aren't listed as sponsors).

There are some pretty heavy hitters out there advertising directly to the consumer, Varilux, Transitions and Vistakon (Accuvue) to name a few. Perhaps they can be convinced to add the CYSC tag to existing promos.
    I believe there are CYSC tags on some of our advertising already. A lot of the educational programs we fund have the tags as well. From what I understand, this is a project of personal interest for Mike Daley (president of Essilor of America's Lens Group).
    Pete Hanlin, ABOM
    Vice President Professional Services
    Essilor of America

http://linkedin.com/in/pete-hanlin-72a3a74

Bad address email on file optigoddess's Avatar
    Judy:

You brought up the point about being a non-doctor, independent optican & how you can utilize the program more effectively. I think it would be an extension of what you do on a daily basis, I'm sure -- explaining how it's important to have regular eye health evaluations because you just can't FEEL something going wrong with the eye....perhaps a nice press release to the print & TV media about the campaign once a year with you as the contact person ....

Karen

Thread Information