Thread: Sunglasses RX Question

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field

Sunglasses RX Question

My insurance covers $350 towards RX glasses. Two years ago I bought a Mikli frame for my glasses and it's held up the best of any frame I've ever had. My prescription hasn't changed so I decided why not get prescription sunglasses?

i found a pair of Maui Jim's (Kona Winds) I really like. But holy smokes the frame is $330 CDN and the lenses are either 410 CAD for polycarbonate or 510 CAD for Evolution.

Is this what I should be paying? Also not sure the difference between evolution vs polycarbonate. Leaning towards evolution as I think the optics will be better ...

I have a pair of Oakley Tightropes (non RX) I bought in 2011 in St Thomas and that sold me on purchasing quality sunglasses ... still use them to this day.

On another note this forum has been really informative to me. My wife and I always just bought at LensCrafters, although I did score my Mikli frame at an independent shop that was clearing them out (regular 800 for frame I got it for 400). The lenses have held up well to which is making me think maybe I should go to Indy shops instead.

You guys have made me think about the importance of the lenses which I never really considered before. Years back I had bought an Oakley titanium frame (which was amazing) at LensCrafters, but the lenses were terrible with the coating all flaking off 6 months into my purchase.

Definitely will use this forum as an awesome resource in the future. And I apologize for signing up as a non industry person. Maybe you should consider a "non professional" section to the forum. Most consumers like me are clueless about glasses and lenses. Google research lead me here. I know all of you have been thinking about how to keep customers informed as juggernaught corporations devalue your profession. I think information is key which this site provides in a big way.
    Last edited by Bamelin; 01-15-2017 at 10:45 PM.

Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    As per the forum rules you agreed to when you registered:

"This forum is for Eyecare Professionals. Consumers are not allowed to post on the Board, although they can read posts and search topics."

All the professional Opticians on this site would love to help you solve your problems or answer your questions about your eye care and eye wear need! But vision and visual solutions can have thousands of correct as well as incorrect answers.

We care about your vision and visual needs so strongly that we must advise you to seek a professional in the eye care field. Only with in-person evaluation can you truly get a proper diagnosis. You PD and powers are simply not enough information to give you any kind of advice other than speculation. We are sure that you want the best in eye care, as we want for you. Please seek out someone that you can discuss your issues with in person.

OptiBoard Administrator
    ----
    OptiBoard has been proudly serving the Eyecare Community since 1995.

Thread Information