Thread: Medical and Recreational Marijuana

Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor

Medical and Recreational Marijuana

With the recent proliferation of legalized medical marijuana, and, in some states recreational marijuana what is your company policy concerning its use by employees. Also, has your state regulatory body come out with any policy regarding its use by licensees?

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Case by case, some companies tend to follow Fed regulations regarding regular/mandatory drug testing and do not allow employees with medicinal green cards while others make exceptions with the medicinal cards. As far as recreational, in WA, it is available but limited, as the suppliers have been geared more toward the medicinal clinics. Legalizing it, has of yet created new laws concerning the employers discretion regarding drug testing. I have not heard anything regarding WA St DOH's opposition restricting licensees use of alcohol or legalized marijuana; recreational or medicinal. I for one would not interfere with an employees legal right to either medicinal or recreational usage, providing it does not conflict with job performance. Obviously, it's usage would not be tolerated during work hours. As an after thought, what would be the consequences of a trunk show with baked goods, as many opticals/boutiques provide catered food and wine to enhance the clients experience.
    I didn't attend the funeral, but I sent a nice letter saying I approved of it. Mark Twain

OptiBoardaholic
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    in my management experience follow federal laws or treat it like alcohol, legal or not still a mood altering drug with adverse affects on the job.

OptiBoard Professional
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Quote Originally Posted by EyeManDan View Post
    in my management experience follow federal laws or treat it like alcohol, legal or not still a mood altering drug with adverse affects on the job.
    I do not do pot but there are other drugs out there that a Dr. perscibes that have adverse affects as well but those must be ok because the Dr. said so.

Its funny that this tread came up today I was just reaching about hemp oil for a friend that has cancer and what I have found out was shocking to me.
    I will post a link to a utube when I get home.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    It's probably a bad idea to smoke pot at work. We have to deal with ... you know....numbers...and .....what was I talking about?

OptiBoard Professional
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Here is that utube post https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=90fQss8OL9Q
    Tell me what you think

OptiBoardaholic
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Dr. perscibes that have adverse affects as well but those must be ok because the Dr. said so.

ITs a grey area. I in past have released employees because they were on meds that interfered with their job DR. prescribed. This was all in support of the legal department and higher management. it still interferes with the employees ability to do their job it is a delicate situation which has to be viewed on an individual basis.
    Last edited by EyeManDan; 08-22-2014 at 09:15 AM.

Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    For what it's worth, over the years I have witnessed many people drinking alcohol during business hours (off-site meetings, lunches, etc.) and have never once seen anyone fired or even reprimanded for that. There is certainly a lot of hypocrisy and double-standards regarding marijuana prohibition, not to mention the actual physical and mental effects of alcohol vs. marijuana.

And as EyeManDan states, prescription meds are a very real problem everywhere.

OptiBoard Administrator
    ----
    OptiBoard has been proudly serving the Eyecare Community since 1995.

OptiBoard Professional
    Occupation
    Optical Laboratory Technician
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Machol View Post
    For what it's worth, over the years I have witnessed many people drinking alcohol during business hours (off-site meetings, lunches, etc.) and have never once seen anyone fired or even reprimanded for that. There is certainly a lot of hypocrisy and double-standards regarding marijuana prohibition, not to mention the actual physical and mental effects of alcohol vs. marijuana.

And as EyeManDan states, prescription meds are a very real problem everywhere.
    +1

Thread Information