Thread: Are you happy or had it?

Bad address email on file kjw1231's Avatar
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor

Question Are you happy or had it?

Hello Optical Friends,

After 17 years in the biz, I am calling it quits.

Partly burned out, partly burned too many times. I have been offered a more lucrative position that completely removes me out of optical. No more nights, weekends, holidays or dealing with the crazies. On one hand, I am exteremly happy to get out, on the other I am sad that I have flushed 17 years.

How is every one else making out?

Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    There have been several times in my 30 years in optics where I've felt burnt out. However it was never really an option to get out of the field entirely because of the income differential in starting a whole new career.

So when my previous job was eliminated I found myself without employment in the optical field for the first time in 28 years. Since then I've turned to consulting and web site management - both within and outside the optical field. Now for the first time time in over 30 years more than half my income is from outside of the optical field.

However because of OptiBoard and my other consulting jobs I stll spend a considerable amount of time in the eyecare field. So for me this is ideal. I'm able to branch out into new areas yet still remain active in my main career choice over the last 30 years. Even better I have a very flexible schedule and am able to work out of my home.

Good luck to you Kevin! Keep in touch and let us know how you're doing.

OptiBoard Administrator
    ----
    OptiBoard has been proudly serving the Eyecare Community since 1995.

Bad address email on file Rich R's Avatar
    Occupation
    Optical Laboratory Technician
    kjw, many times I have had the feeling of trying a career change and come accross the same problem as Steve mentioned, after many years in the optical field, it would be tough having to start something new.
    I have also felt more often to be very happy at what I do.
    Wish you much luck in your new venture.

Rich R

sub specie aeternitatis Pete Hanlin's Avatar
    Occupation
    Lens Manufacturer
    Good luck in your new ventures! Sometimes it feels like the field of Opticianry is losing most of its best and most experienced members... Until we all band together and start improving our lot, I fear this trend will only continue.

Anyway, take your pd ruler and screwdriver with you, you never know when the field may call you back! Until then, here's wishing you the best of success in your new profession!
    :)

PS- Won't you miss the face cheese and loose screws and lenses that managed to get scratched "just sitting on my nightstand?"
    Pete Hanlin, ABOM
    Vice President Professional Services
    Essilor of America

http://linkedin.com/in/pete-hanlin-72a3a74

Rising Star
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Two years ago I thought of switching careers into the law enforcment area. Unfortunately the cut in pay was more than I can bare. Well, back to the optical shop I go!

Manuf. Lens Surface Treatments
    Occupation

Blue Jumper Re: Still happy

kjw1231 said:
    Hello Optical Friends,

Partly burned out, partly burned too many times. I have been offered a more lucrative position that completely removes me out of optical. No more nights, weekends, holidays or dealing with the crazies. On one hand, I am exteremly happy to get out, on the other I am sad that I have flushed 17 years.

How is every one else making out?

Born into the optical trade,,worked in this, as you call it crazy business, for a 1/2 century, I am still happy going at it.

As they call the snowbirds in Florida "white haired old farts" I have become one in the optical trade.

Objection! OptiBoard Gold Supporter shanbaum's Avatar
    Occupation

Big Smile He doesn't know!

Must be his first attempt at leaving - he doesn't know that it can't be done, and that like it or not, he'll be back.

Be seeing you.

Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    KJW,

From the context of your post, I'm not sure if you are closing shop as an owner or are tired of being in the business as an employee of someone else. Either way, I'm sorry to see someone with your experience leave the industry only to be replaced by another button pusher or frame stylist with little or no knowledge of optics or even acare to make it a priority.

I've had a few life changing experiences while in the business which tempted me to change career directions but all in all the business has been a friend to me.

The optical industry is very broad based and may hold several opportunities for someone with your experience besides fitting, manufacturing, dispensing, and listening to peoples problems all day long.

Wishing you the best,

Kevin

Optical Educator
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

best of luck to you.

Hi Kevin,

You have added alot of interesting conversations to Optiboard and I hope you won't be a stranger.

I'm like Chris in that I was born into the optical field and still like it.

With all its quackiness, optical is still a nice field.

Good luck

: )

Laurie

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Gold Supporter Judy Canty's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Well, it's been about 30 years and still counting, almost 4 1/2 as an independent owner and I'm still loving what I do!

Manuf. Lens Surface Treatments
    Occupation

Blue Jumper All the oldies are loving it..............

I am glad all us oldies are still loving it...........get out the closet and lets hear from some more.

Ophthalmic Optician
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Kevin,

I think you're the only OPti-Boarder that I've met in person.

Best of luck to you...it's a computer thing isn't it ?

-Johns

To the others:

I've been a chain store slave, an OD office mgr, a sales rep, and for the last 13 years an owner. When I get tired of it, I take a road trip for a few weeks and come back ready to reinvent the optical world (or at least MY optical world). I wouldn't trade it for the world...at least not today !

-Johns

Kevin Good luck in whatever you try.

Me I've been at this in one way or the other for
    40 years. I keep thinking about hanging it up but would more than likely go the rest of the way nuts.

Banned
    Only City in the World built over a Volcano
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I have been at this for over 40 years, and have a lot of burn out, but every day when things are going well, especially when I convince myself that I have done something that I think others could not accomplish well, I feel good. On the days when there is little to do, things are going well or the bottom line is in the red, I try to think of other vocations, and end up deciding this is what I know how to do.

I think of the preacher that rode his Harley to work every day an on the way there was a fork in the road. One fork went to his church, the other to the fishing hole. Every day he had to decide which fork to take.

Chip

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I've been in this business for over 20 years now (hard to believe since I feel like I'm not a day over 25). I thought I was burned out 5+ years ago, then stepped back and realized that I was burned out working for other people. Decided it was time to strike out on my own...do my own thing. I've been smiling ever since...even with our questionable economy, my business has continued to grow and I love coming to work every single day.
    Well, enough of that. I have to say that this thread reminded me of something I'm sure you've all read before, but, I think it's time to revisit.

You know you've been an optician too long if...

You can plunge a jeweler's screwdriver 2 inches into your hand and not utter a foul word as a result.

You can act genuinely concerned when a patient tells you that their plastic lenses are scratched.

The only information you can give the police after you have been mugged is that he was wearing a Charmant 4228 in a 56 eye.

You have ever sold a patient a pair of A/R coated, progressive, photogray lenses in a swimming goggle just because you could

You own more than 17 pairs of eyeglasses

You and more than 3 close friends understand the humor of this list

sign me...
    one happy hip chic

Vision Equipment OptiBoard Corporate Sponsor Leo Hadley Jr's Avatar
    Occupation
    ive tryed to leave.....
    but they wont let me go.:hammer:

in the last 17 years i have been in retail to wholesale back to retail to private o.d. back to wholesale and back to retail.
    i have been in every conceivable optical situation. then one day i realized that my experience was really valuable and i should seriously take advantage of it.
    no longer is it just a job....it is my career. i have an excellent position in my company and i really love training new people into the industry.
    Leo Hadley Jr
    Vision Equipment
    T: 855.776.2020

www.visionequipmentinc.com

OptiBoard Professional Robert Wagner's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Any one remember "u4 and out the door?

After a long depressing day of all the "stuff" that happens in our field, we all at times feel like we want to change or "try" something different.

I too have changed to an administrator for a corneal surgeon as well as a frame rep. and not had that same warm fuzzy feeling that you get when you have fit a 8 year old glasses for the first time wearer that has a -32.00 and knew that a myodisc from some forgotten lab still has the knowhow to make such a lens and then as you are dispensing the glasses, you notice the child's parents are crying (with joy) and this same child looks at you and extends his arms out for you to hold him so he can look around at a brand new life of vision!

After you yourself stop crying you do really know in your heart that you are in the correct profession! as that child is pointing at everything and asking what is that!!!!!!!!

Or when that traveler that is in your town for the first time and breaks his/her frame with a high script, and you repair it be it soldering it or a hinge replacement, or what ever and don't charge the visitor a dime. Seeing the real THANK YOU come out in a person, makes me at least feel like I am doing my part as an Optician as well as a human being.

I "semi" retired for about 2 years and my wife TOLD ME TO GO AND DO SOMETHING OUTSIDE OF THE HOUSE! Gee do you think I was bugging her? Anyway I by luck found an Optometrist that has been passed down from the Grandfather to the Father and now to the Grandson who has been in practice for around 8 years now and this same practice has been here for over 55 years and we still see patients that have stories about their first time seeing the Grandfather etc. (some of them still wearing that Flu-Vue frame)

I am about as happy as I have ever been working for this O.D. (old style) with a mix of the "new".

Some of us will always be a real Optician and what I mean by that is an Optical Technician that does it all from soldering 2 glass screws together for that -10.00 58 eye in the early 70's to sinking hidden hinges in "Optyl" frames.

It seems once you have Opticians in your blood after many years it is very hard to quit / change.

The best of luck to you in your new endeavors.

Robert.

Master OptiBoarder Texas Ranger's Avatar
    Robert, when it gets down to it, the Optical field is honorable work. You can make of it whatever you choose, be a contributor to peoples very best vision, or be a major part of their problem, or see it as a "sales" job, fashion guru, or exploitor of public naivte`. I think you're fortunate to be in a shop with some "history". it's really about those long term relationships. that's what it should be anyways. our customers are our best friends, their patronage is what makes everything work, their good will puts food on the table, literally. so when you take good care of them , you're taking care of you and your family.

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I'm sorry to see someone with your experience leave the industry only to be replaced by another button pusher or frame stylist with little or no knowledge of optics or even acare to make it a priority.
    This is something I have struggled with today. I had a rep come in and tell me that he doesn't understand why more doctors don't recommend coatings, lenses, etc. to patients. I guess it's the same reason opticians don't recommend that patients have cataract surgery or some other procedure that doesn't fit our area of expertise.

The doctor I work for knows as much about progressive lenses as I know about glaucoma medications. Yet he recommends progressives to everyone. Been wearing Executive Bifocals? Progressives are the answer, baby!! At least according to him.

What I am saying is, the day of the doctors wanting or needing a knowledgable, experienced optician is over. If they are going to make all of the recommendations concerning eyewear, then they just need a monkey to write the stuff up. Heck, even alot of the docs are measuring PD's and Seg Hts.

I've been an optician for 12 years. Today my doc brings a patient out who wears +1.50 NVO glasses. This prescription is written on the exam form. The doctor politely sits the patient in front of me and says, "He wears a reading prescription only. Make sure and measure his PD properly." That's like telling Michael Jordan that you have to dribble the ball down court or you will get called for travelling!! Uh, DUH?

Can you tell I've had it also? What happened to letting a person do their job?

Thread Information