Thread: Mystery Shopper

Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field

Mystery Shopper

It was nearing closing time yesterday when a woman entered our shop indicating she was in the market for eyewear. I pleasantly greeted her, introduced myself and began to ask questions to determine her vision needs. I usually don't interrogate folks agressively but my wife and I had an appointment which I saw myself being late for if I didn't reasonably move her through. We sat down at a fitting table where I showed her AR, Transition, and Polarized lens options. She then focused me to dialogue on the Transition Product and asked me of my opinion of the performance. I informed her they have come a long way in performance while also informing her of the Next Generation Technology. At that point, she informed me she was a Transitions MYSTERY SHOPPER and congratulated me for winning $50.00.

I almost fell off my chair. I heard of the Transitions mystery shopper campaign but didn't think they would come to my little shop in a little suburban town. Another ironic point is that I rarely recommended Transition products up until 2 weeks ago. I recently attended a seminar which gave me some new insight on the lenses and ways to recommend them with greater success.

It definately paid off. She told me my check would be in the mail within a week.

Has anyone else had experiences with the Transition Mystery Shoppers. I'm thinking this marketing principal is something that would be a mutual benefit among many other vendors if they implemented a similar program.

Kevin

Occupation
    Congratulations Kevin! Harry Jilson and Karen also got rewarded from the program:

http://www.optiboard.com/forums/show...&threadid=5505

As well as a few others:

http://www.optiboard.com/forums/show...&threadid=5663

OptiBoard Administrator
    ----
    OptiBoard has been proudly serving the Eyecare Community since 1995.

Ophthalmic Optician
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Our office was been "shopped" last week, and the receptionist had the $50 award before the shopper had a chance to talk to an optician. She did and awesome job. (She was bumming however, that the guy didn't buy the glasses!)

-Johns

Rising Star
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Hey I earned my fifty bucks too! Just yesterday a woman claiming to be in need of glasses awarded me with money shortly after I mentioned that she might be interested in transitions! Isn't life grand?:D

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Gold Supporter Judy Canty's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Me, too! Me, too! :D Who'da thunk it...here in the middle of nowhere Fairfax!

OptiWizard
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    We blew it. Got a note in the mail from Transitions that we had been "shopped" and noone had offered the Transitions.

Noone on staff could recall anyone suspicious, so we thought it had just been a ploy to get us to sell more of their product.

Reading this thread, guess we were wrong.

Harry

Master OptiBoarder Joann Raytar's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Heads Up

SOLA is now running a similar contest regarding SolaMax.

Occupation

Re: Heads Up

Jo said:
    SOLA is now running a similar contest regarding SolaMax.
    But unlike Transitions they didn't send us a Press Release about this. :finger:

OptiBoard Administrator
    ----
    OptiBoard has been proudly serving the Eyecare Community since 1995.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    In an ophthalmological practice with lots of glaucoma patients and macular degeneration as well as other pathology patients such as diabetic retinopathy who have compromised vision;we can not offer Transitions without checking. Although Transitions product is great it still takes time from going to outside to inside

Manuf. Lens Surface Treatments
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor

Re: Mystery Shopper

PAkev said:
    It was nearing closing time yesterday when a woman entered our shop indicating she was in the market for eyewear. I pleasantly greeted her, introduced myself and began to ask questions to determine her vision needs. I usually don't interrogate folks agressively but my wife and I had an appointment which I saw myself being late for if I didn't reasonably move her through. We sat down at a fitting table where I showed her AR, Transition, and Polarized lens options. She then focused me to dialogue on the Transition Product and asked me of my opinion of the performance. I informed her they have come a long way in performance while also informing her of the Next Generation Technology. At that point, she informed me she was a Transitions MYSTERY SHOPPER and congratulated me for winning $50.00.

I almost fell off my chair. I heard of the Transitions mystery shopper campaign but didn't think they would come to my little shop in a little suburban town. Another ironic point is that I rarely recommended Transition products up until 2 weeks ago. I recently attended a seminar which gave me some new insight on the lenses and ways to recommend them with greater success.

It definately paid off. She told me my check would be in the mail within a week.

Has anyone else had experiences with the Transition Mystery Shoppers. I'm thinking this marketing principal is something that would be a mutual benefit among many other vendors if they implemented a similar program.

Kevin

Fantastic Idea, them people pay a lot of money to some agency to come up with ideas like that.

I hope the whole industry learns from your expierience and hires mystery shoppers all around the USA.

They will have to compete with the competition and the price money by 2005 you will be making will be $ 500.00 for promoting the right stuff to the right mystery shopper. Like winning the lottery!!!!!!

Chris Ryser
    :cheers:

Yeah, we got "hit" by the Mystery Shopper too last week, also right before closing time. Maybe they figure we're all so eager to go home we won't bother mentioning all the lens options we would earlier in the day or when it's slow. But I happened to mention Transitions & she told me I'd just won $50.

The mgr. was rather cynical at first & thought she was just a corporate spy from a competing company but she came back next day & we did the required paperwork to get the check. I'm happy, but some of the staff were a bit put out by how much time she took from their work with all the questions she was required to ask about lab reps, etc.

Manuf. Lens Surface Treatments
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor

Exclamation Mystery shpper.................

eyevay said:
    Yeah, we got "hit" by the Mystery Shopper too last week, also right before closing time. Maybe they figure we're all so eager to go home we won't bother mentioning all the lens options we would earlier in the day or when it's slow. But I happened to mention Transitions & she told me I'd just won $50.

The mgr. was rather cynical at first & thought she was just a corporate spy from a competing company but she came back next day & we did the required paperwork to get the check. I'm happy, but some of the staff were a bit put out by how much time she took from their work with all the questions she was required to ask about lab reps, etc.
    Interesting concept,,,,,

First come in late, ,,the promise 50 bucks,,,,,,,but dont givem right now,,,,,,,,,,come back next day,,,,,,fill in forms and do a market research which you would not have particiapete in it without getting the $ 50.00

Bad address email on file
    i was hit up by the mystery shopper and it was later in the day towards closing too, must be the m.o. i was so excited that i won the $50. I get commision but this made me feel like someone noticed the extra effort. i think all lens companies should try this. i was telling the other optician when i read the info on the mystery shopper, they wont show up in our little office.

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter varmint's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

early

I guess here in AZ, they are off their time schedule. I was shopped Thur immediately upon opening. Here I am in a little private shop on the edge of nowhere & I win $50 bucks. Pretty cool.
    April, I'm a Pgh transplant to AZ. First job was a liitle shop in the North Hills called Kent Opticians.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Me Too! I was shopped this morning as well. As part of mentioning the lens options available, I did mention transitions and since it was a sunny day, she got a good demo and I got $50.00.

Was not expecting it in NW Arkansas. How special is that?

Traci

Thread Information