Thread: Tacky or not?

Occupation
    Optometrist

Tacky or not?

We dispense some "unbranded" frames that don't come with their own glasses cases.

Usually we have some LBI, Hilco, whatever generic cases that we dispense with them.

We also have a strangely large backstock of "branded" frame cases (Ogi, NineWest, Seiko, Aspex, whatever) that seem to be sitting around taking up space.

Question: Should I dump the "backstock" branded cases and keep buying generic cases, or should I use up the "branded" cases with generic frames?

Thanks.

Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    One alternative would be to sell the branded cases for a couple of bucks.

OptiBoard Administrator
    ----
    OptiBoard has been proudly serving the Eyecare Community since 1995.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I always dispense the branded frames with the case they came with. Of course half the people want something different, and I'm fine with that. Most of the time the frames don't fit the case after you adjust the temples anyway. I have a large selection of cases and everyone can choose w/e they'd like with their new glasses. Included in the selection are many branded cases. And yes I sell them as well, for $5-10.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I think there must be little eyeglass case gnomes that drop off extra cases in the middle of the night, because we too tend to get tons of extra cases. If its a frame line we still carry, I will try to make sure to give them away to people that buy that line, but if its no longer an active brand, or just kind of ugly, I put them in a little bin and sell them for $5. Or I'll let somebody pick one out for free if they really don't like the case that came with their glasses. Kids tend to love the concept of fishing through the bin to find their own new case.

I will also make sure to put any returns/damaged/discontinued frames going back to the vendor in one of their cases. They also make pretty good props for frame displays. Even if they have a big old brand logo on them, I'll just cover it with a cloth or turn it facing away so you can't see it.
    Patient, ".. Doctor says I have a subscription for stigmata.. Can you fill that?"
    Me, "..Um.. "

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    You let the patient make the choice between the crappy looking vinyl slip case, or the nicer hand me down hard case.

OptiWizard
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Charge an extra buck or two per frame and stop fretting!

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    We use the branded cases on generic frames all the time. We just tell the patient that their frame did not come with a case from the manufacturer but we had one on hand that would work for them.

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter Barry Santini's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    use the backstock branded cases as the default case. If they want something different, exchange it out.

B

Occupation
    Optometrist
    Thanks for your generous and valued opinions.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    We always bought plain and fairly cheap hard cases and vinyl slip ins for our unbranded frames. I once found a large stash of "designer" cases in the back of a closet and yelled "Hey boss, want to make a few extra bucks?" I put them in a basket on the front counter and charged five bucks a piece for them, they went like hot cakes because even though someone didn't want to pay for a Gucci frame didn't mean they didn't want to look like they did.

Thread Information