Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Oakley.

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter Barry Santini's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Karen:

I prefer the phrase "sun-struck" to athletic. More precise.

FWIW

B

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by karen View Post
    So. I invite you all to go on a journey with me. Pretend you work in an office that had been around for 35+ years. You are known all over as a place that has cutting edge technology and caters to an athletic crowd but over the years has branched out into all areas of style and price point. You've had some growing pains in the past but who hasn't, right? About 5 years ago you were purchased by one of the largest practice purchasing groups in the world. Some folks were nervous about how that has changed things but for the most part, staff and policies stayed the same. Your outsourced your labor for certain things but haven't really had a major price increase in a decade so while some folks were angered by that move it does keep costs down. You have a very diverse staff with all levels of skill and experience and sometimes get in trouble for being very proud of who you are and what your practice has done. But always have the facts to back up your occasional ego trip.

Stay with me.

Two patients come in to your office. One has insurance, is very familiar with their coverage and while they are glad to have it they don't expect it to cover everything. They filled out their paperwork at home, were a pleasure to deal with, get themselves 2 pair of glasses, sent their family to you and have you a great review on Yelp.

The other comes in without an appointment, is mad that you don't know their coverage by heart, argues about paying for a retinal scan because they know they can see perfectly, and brings their kids with Cheerios that get all mashed up in your carpet. They leave because they won't pay their copay and without even being seen call your bosses boss to complain about your terrible service.

Assuming you could actually choose which patient to see, who would you pick?

Thats what we do.
    I'm sorry - but there's just SO much silliness in this. One thing the big O has never been short of is pride. That's for sure!

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Thats what we do.
    Karen, we are ALL in service industry, so I dont think its right from your side or from your bosses side or from your bosses bosses side to make assumptions about anybody!

I also strongly believe that most of the bigger and popular sunglasses companies (MJ, Oakley, Costa) dont care about 3Os. They sell a ton in Sunglass only stores with no warranties, no returns and no hassles and listening to people that cant even refract or take seg measurements.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Barry Santini View Post
    Dammit! Caught!

B
    Barry, I know you are the worst one with all your gadgets and VA on the RX... :)

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by LENNY View Post
    Barry, I know you are the worst one with all your gadgets and VA on the RX... :)
    Right as always, Lenny!

B

Banned
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    So. I invite you all to go on a journey with me. Pretend you work in an office that had been around for 35+ years. You are known all over as a place that has cutting edge technology and caters to an athletic crowd but over the years has branched out into all areas of style and price point. You've had some growing pains in the past but who hasn't, right? About 5 years ago you were purchased by one of the largest practice purchasing groups in the world. Some folks were nervous about how that has changed things but for the most part, staff and policies stayed the same. Your outsourced your labor for certain things but haven't really had a major price increase in a decade so while some folks were angered by that move it does keep costs down. You have a very diverse staff with all levels of skill and experience and sometimes get in trouble for being very proud of who you are and what your practice has done. But always have the facts to back up your occasional ego trip.

Stay with me.

Two patients come in to your office. One has insurance, is very familiar with their coverage and while they are glad to have it they don't expect it to cover everything. They filled out their paperwork at home, were a pleasure to deal with, get themselves 2 pair of glasses, sent their family to you and have you a great review on Yelp.

The other comes in without an appointment, is mad that you don't know their coverage by heart, argues about paying for a retinal scan because they know they can see perfectly, and brings their kids with Cheerios that get all mashed up in your carpet. They leave because they won't pay their copay and without even being seen call your bosses boss to complain about your terrible service.

Thats what we do.
    Our rep would fit the bill for the second set of customers but with a worse attitude.

So I am assuming I am supposed to be the second customer? That's laughable and it shows the attitude of Oakley and its staff. Seems like you fit right in at Oakley.
    Last edited by OPTICALTROLL; 08-13-2013 at 09:19 AM.

Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    Quote Originally Posted by OPTICALTROLL View Post
    So I am assuming I am supposed to be the second customer? That's laughable and it shows the attitude of Oakley and its staff. Seems like you fit right in at Oakley.
    Knock it off! Karen has been a long-time productive member of this community and does not deserve your sarcasm and insults.

OptiBoard Administrator
    ----
    OptiBoard has been proudly serving the Eyecare Community since 1995.

Banned
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Machol View Post
    Knock it off! Karen has been a long-time productive member of this community and does not deserve your sarcasm and insults.
    But she can hurl insults? Got it.

Occupation
    But she can hurl insults? Got it.
    I saw no such insult. Regardless, your snide and insulting remarks are not appropriate here.

OptiBoard Administrator
    ----

Banned
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Stay with me.

Thats what we do.
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Machol View Post
    I saw no such insult. Regardless, your snide and insulting remarks are not appropriate here.
    Here you go.

Occupation
    That hardly compares to your personal insult:

That's laughable and it shows the attitude of Oakley and its staff. Seems like you fit right in at Oakley.
    Is there something that was unclear about my post? Do I need to explain it to you?

Let me repeat, your snide and insulting remarks are not appropriate here. Period. This isn't open for discussion.

OptiBoard Administrator
    ----

Banned
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Her insult wasn't snide, and personal. Got it

Occupation
    Her insult wasn't snide, and personal. Got it
    You clearly don't get it. Perhaps now you will.

OptiBoard Administrator
    ----

Occupation
    Optical Laboratory Technician
    Karen is my office's Oakley Rep and she represents herself and her company to the best of her abilities. Not everyone is going to have the same experience as some of you, every rep is different, and just because there's one bad egg in the bunch doesn't mean they're all bad. Just like the Essilor friend or foe thread reiterated, if you don't like it, don't use it.
    Erik Zuniga, ABOC.

Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    Sorry Steve. And thank you for sticking up for me. To be fair, I was trying to prove a point and can see where that was insulting. But he had been insulting all along. I reached out to the rep in question and his side of the story is a bit different. Thanks again my friend!!
    Let the refining and improving of your own life keep you so busy that you have little time to criticize others. -H. Jackson Brown Jr.

If the only tool you have is a hammer you will approach every problem as though it were a nail

Occupation
    And we are proud. Which I won't apologize for.
    Let the refining and improving of your own life keep you so busy that you have little time to criticize others. -H. Jackson Brown Jr.

If the only tool you have is a hammer you will approach every problem as though it were a nail

OptiBoard Professional OptiBoard Bronze Supporter
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Karen, I applaud you. You made a great case for Oakley. I have enclosed one Schrute buck for your performance!Click image for larger version. 

Name:	untitled.png 
Views:	44 
Size:	90.8 KB 
ID:	10111

Occupation
    I'm not quite sure how to take that. ;)

OptiBoard Professional OptiBoard Bronze Supporter
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I'm not quite sure how to take that. ;)
    Sorry, that's from the TV show The Office. Very funny you should Youtube it!

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I love it when Mike is upset for someone else being a troll. I love the fact that all Karen did was reprint a post and Troll took that as an insult. I am scared to see Barry in Vegas at the Oakley booth wearing his carbon fiber combo. (Just meet me at Santinelli)
    I wish to have been at the computer when Steve got fed up with Troll.

Thanks for making my day.

My kids wear Oakley and one of my longterm employees also works at an insurance office with Oakley being her favorite frames. They can't be all bad since she knows what the best frames taste like and feel like.

Karen,
    It took my rep over a year to call on me as well. This was the Oakley was for the past 15 years we have carried them.

Occupation
    So I was an Oakley account for years, left dispensing to work for a lab and came to Oakley almost 4 years ago. I've worn or sold them for over 20 years. I am very familiar with our reputation in certain areas about certain things. And smart enough to know we deserve some of the above comments. My frustration comes form knowing all the internal changes that have taken place that have improved us in certain areas that outsiders wouldn't know. Until 3 years ago, outside of Cali Oakley reps were not channel specific. So the guy or gal covering 2 or 3 states in some cases called on all the optical, bike, surf, golf you name it accounts. They frequently didn't get leads. When you can't even find the time to call on existing accounts, opening a new one gets lower on your priority list. Should they have called and explained that? Hell yes. did they? Sometimes, and then got yelled at for being too busy or that we thought we were too good for the practice trying to bring it in. We are all independent contractors. We all work on straight commission. And sometimes low hanging fruit got picked first. We all run our territories differently and are VERY BLESSED to be in a position where we largely get to choose who we partner up with. Is that arrogant? Maybe. But if I'm going to work my *** off for 50+ hours on a good week writing orders, training accounts about our lenses and technology, clean and remerchandise your whole case, box up all your returns in their cases and packaging, change light bulbs, repair broken transformers when necessary then I'm going to do it with people who don't argue with me about restocking, will set and keep appointments with me, pay their bills on time and get where it is we are coming from.

Yes. I'm a bit wound up. But I get so tired if people who describe us as this large company that doesn't care about the independent optometry practice. That think that Lux has more of an influence than it does, that we are rude, arrogant and difficult. One of the reasons we make such amazing stuff us because we push the envelope in a way others don't. We are proud of what we make, how it's designed and how we can do awesome things like protect the eyes of our military and raise money for YSC or our Infinite Hero foundation. We are a family. We laugh and cry and yell and work hard together. We aren't perfect. Some of us are better at our jobs than others. Just like in your practices.

Yes. We sell in retail locations also. The industry is changing and not always for the better. I get that you guys don't like that. I even get WHY you don't. But it is what it is. We can all be angry at big box retail or go out and out perform, out educate and yes, out sell them. We have the tools and the skills to do it. Lets go.

Stepping of my soap box now

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    We have carried Oakley for two years and were recently informed our account was being closed because we did not have $8000 in sales last year. Has anyone else run into this? We sold mostly mens ophthalmics, did not have great sunglass sales. What mens ophthalmics would you recommend to replace them with?

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by disneyeyes View Post
    We have carried Oakley for two years and were recently informed our account was being closed because we did not have $8000 in sales last year. Has anyone else run into this? We sold mostly mens ophthalmics, did not have great sunglass sales. What mens ophthalmics would you recommend to replace them with?
    Wonder if my letter is in the mail? I just got one from Chanel that we did not do 120 frames per year and I say goodbye.

Banned
    Occupation
    Ophthalmologist
    Hi,

If you are looking to buy Oakley Sunglasses in summers that looks sporty and suits with our lifestyle. Last month back my brother buy form Leightons opticians.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    My biggest beef is with companies that are escalating sales requirements each year, while cutting our potential pie in similar ways.

go figure.

B

Thread Information