Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: makeoptics.com

Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field

makeoptics.com

Fezz,

Last we talked I shared with you some big ideas. I am implementing them and will make them readily available at a new site:

www.makeoptics.com

I am in the process of building the proper equipment and tools to bring this thing into reality, it is going to be a free/subscription based site. I will have videos and previews of ideas for free to view and the corresponding build notes and bill of materials on a subscription based model. The subscripton is going to be based on knowledge, so before anyone gets membership they need to prove to me that they are qualified to implement such strategies. I have a few interested companies outside of the optical business that are throwing their weight behind this endevour as we discussed. 90 days (which started a few days ago).

I am curious to see what people would want to see, so before the site goes live make your suggestions for what you want and the best idea will be implemented along with a prize (part of a build, yet to be determined).

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Phi,

It was a very eye opening and exciting conversation! Thank you for meeting with me and sharing your vision! I apologize for not being able to fully grasp all of the concepts. That said, I understood enough to know that you are on to something big. VERY B I G!

Count me in for whatever help that you feel I can provide. It is time that we as an industry get off our lazy lard asses and start thinking outside of the box and embrace new ideas.

It is visionaries like yourself that will be the catalyst for change!

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter Jubilee's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I am curious.. care to share/elaborate? At least tell us what you need/want for us to contributing...
    "Some believe in destiny, and some believe in fate. But I believe that happiness is something we create."-Something More by Sugarland

Banned
    Occupation
    Ophthalmic Technician
    Quote Originally Posted by Fezz View Post
    It is time that we as an industry get off our lazy lard asses and start thinking outside of the box and embrace new ideas.
    I resent that. I do NOT have a lard ***. I have a Crisco ***. Big difference.

Banned
    Occupation
    Ophthalmic Technician
    Oh my! *** is censored but asses isn't?

Rising Star
    Occupation
    Optical Laboratory Technician
    I'm just a technician, but you've got my interest, at the very least.
    With a name like makeoptics, can I assume we're talking about some kind of rapid prototyping/3d printing? Just a guess, sorry if I'm way off base! I've heard of frames being made that way before, and I've often wondered if it would ever be possible to make an optical lens grade material for such uses.
    Feel free to PM with any info you're willing to share, and let me know if there's anything that a lowly lab tech can do to help!

Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    Quote Originally Posted by Look To The Stars View Post
    I'm just a technician, but you've got my interest, at the very least.
    With a name like makeoptics, can I assume we're talking about some kind of rapid prototyping/3d printing? Just a guess, sorry if I'm way off base! I've heard of frames being made that way before, and I've often wondered if it would ever be possible to make an optical lens grade material for such uses.
    Feel free to PM with any info you're willing to share, and let me know if there's anything that a lowly lab tech can do to help!
    Lenses are being worked on. Tinting with a inkjet type printer unit is being developed in Japan, real tint too.

Manuf. Lens Surface Treatments
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor

Blue Jumper How can you eat an egg that has not even been laid .................................

How can you eat an egg that has not even been laid, or comment on a website that does not even exist. I would never fantasize on a product that does not even exist, lets be realistic.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    I'd love to know what it is , whenever you care to share. I know a thing or two about product dev/patent applications and startups, particularly in optical.

OptiWizard
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Good luck! I'll not pretend to know what you are concocting or offer my meager input to a concept so vague. But if well wishes count for anything - you have mine.

Banned
    Occupation
    Ophthalmic Technician
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris Ryser View Post
    How can you eat an egg that has not even been laid, or comment on a website that does not even exist. I would never fantasize on a product that does not even exist, lets be realistic.
    Wow. Such condescension. I feel sorry for you that you cannot even dream, much less make suggestions about what might come to pass. Perhaps its time to turn in your internet Free Pass and turn your computer off.

Occupation
    No need for snarkiness. Try a little self-restraint.

OptiBoard Administrator
    ----
    OptiBoard has been proudly serving the Eyecare Community since 1995.

Banned
    Occupation
    Ophthalmic Technician
    It's difficult with certain people. But I'll try harder.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Well I'm intrigued! The future is always scary and uncertain, especially as one gets older, however you can move forward or be left crying in the dust. I sense that Optical is at a turning point but I connot conceive where technology will lead us....lets find out! Best of luck in your endeavors!
    "Strictly speaking, there are no enlightened beings; only enlightened activity." -Shunryu Suzuki

OptiWizard
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    In an industry that has become so stagnate I think its a breath of fresh air that someones has a big enough pair to do something different. Congrats Phitrace for going against the grain!

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Hey... as an opticianry eduator I am intrigued. Will keenly await for the June 2013 posting.

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter Barry Santini's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Ok...piqued.

B

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    PhiTrace,

During our meeting, I had mentioned a magazine article that touched on one of the topics that we were discussing. I have not found my copy of it. I am on the search for it and will get it to you as soon as I can.

Exciting stuff!

Rising Star
    Occupation
    Ophthalmic Technician
    Regardless what the idea is or isn't, PhiTrace and Fezz do know how to stir up the crowd....such a tease.

I think pursuing your intervention and dreams are always exciting and worth supporting. Dreams are what pushes people forward, so good luck with your adventure.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by LSUpaul20 View Post
    I think pursuing your intervention
    Are you trying to tell me something?

Rising Star
    Occupation
    Ophthalmic Technician
    Quote Originally Posted by Fezz View Post
    Are you trying to tell me something?

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I got your message the other day. Thank you for the call!

I suggest that we get together again.

I look forward to discussing the progress!

Occupation
    Anytime you are ready. Here is a sneak peak, like I mentioned in e-mails the 3 phases are:

1. Mechanical Engineering - Done.
    2. Electrical Engineering - Fingers crossed, I just received the last revision of the circuit board and it is promising, the first 2 had shorts so it was back to the drawing board, the 2 one I was able to cut a trace and get it semi-working but decided on a new board for consistency, just put it together without testing just yet.
    3. Software Engineering - Working on the components as we speak.

Here are some sneak peaks. I have video as well but I will be very selective as to who I share with because I am not sure I want to share the entire project down to the nitty gritty just yet with everyone.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_20130405_085350 (1).jpg   IMG_20130513_203525 (1).jpg   makeoptics.jpg  

Ophthalmic Optician
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Phi, as I told you in response to your e-mail, I know the "where" , I just need to know the when..
    Ophthalmic Optician, Society to Advance Opticianry

Occupation
    Optical Laboratory Technician
    Now I'm interested.
    Wesley S. Scott, MBA, MIS, ABOM, NCLE-AC, LDO - SC & GA

“As our circle of knowledge expands, so does the circumference of darkness surrounding it.” -Albert Einstein

Thread Information