Thread: I hate this forum

Banned
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

I hate this forum

Why is this forum open to the public? There are so many people in the forum with no idea what they are talking about and we have potential customers reading about these folks comments, coming to the store and asking for stuff that doesn't exist. Good luck explaining your patient there is no such thing. They are like oh yes there is, I saw it on an optical forum....

This forum is maybe great for the opticians and optometrists but it sure causes issues when general public reads the fights and rumors in the industry. Only reason I post here is to provide info so I don't have a customer walking in with dumb info. But I had enough, seeing how many opticians are out there without a clue on what they are doing is embarrassing for the industry. If you enjoy watching these people embarrass themselves shame on you. At the end you are a lens manufacturer and no matter who gets the sale (optician vs online) doesn't matter to you as they still call you for the lenses.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by GokhanSF View Post
    Why is this forum open to the public? There are so many people in the forum with no idea what they are talking about and we have potential customers reading about these folks comments, coming to the store and asking for stuff that doesn't exist. Good luck explaining your patient there is no such thing. They are like oh yes there is, I saw it on an optical forum....

This forum is maybe great for the opticians and optometrists but it sure causes issues when general public reads the fights and rumors in the industry. Only reason I post here is to provide info so I don't have a customer walking in with dumb info. But I had enough, seeing how many opticians are out there without a clue on what they are doing is embarrassing for the industry. If you enjoy watching these people embarrass themselves shame on you. At the end you are a lens manufacturer and no matter who gets the sale (optician vs online) doesn't matter to you as they still call you for the lenses.
    I agree There are so many people in the forum with no idea what they are talking about!!!!!
    So why post?

Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    OptiBoard has always been open to the public. Furthermore there isn't an occupation or field in the world that has complete unanimity from all people. Personally I think the correct way to fight ignorance is by directly confronting it. Hiding it behind an artificial wall isn't going to solve anything.

I would be interested in hearing exactly what customers have come to you with faulty information they got from OptiBoard.

OptiBoard Administrator
    ----
    OptiBoard has been proudly serving the Eyecare Community since 1995.

Occupation
    Optical Laboratory Technician
    Personal anecdotal evidence suggests to me that customers get far more false "information" from local opticians than from online forums.
    Wesley S. Scott, MBA, MIS, ABOM, NCLE-AC, LDO - SC & GA

“As our circle of knowledge expands, so does the circumference of darkness surrounding it.” -Albert Einstein

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Sometimes it doesn't matter if you know what you're talking about. The "general public" seems to come to their own "takeaways". I can't tell you how many people are coming in since that 60 Minutes piece and saying, so, I hear there's only 1 mfr. for glasses now.....tv, forum, or just trying to reiterate what a very knowlegable optician tells a regular person, it always gets mixed up in the re-telling anyways.
    Keep in mind some of the silliest posts are by consumers trying to "act" like they know what they're talking about and others are BRAND-spanking new to the business.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I say embrace your chosen profession and do what you can to improve it on line and with your patients. The information they find on line will always be there and you will never be able to change it. You can only deal with it.
    If you cant do that then maybe its time to move along?

Banned
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by LENNY View Post
    I agree There are so many people in the forum with no idea what they are talking about!!!!!
    So why post?
    Are you sure you are guy? Because you are acting like a woman in menopause... On top of people who has no clue about what they are doing, I am assuming they have no idea what they are doing as they post a thread asking how to fit a progressive, there are people like Lenny who didn't get to live their childhood and acting like it online.

Steve,
    There is a guy post a thread asking about 1.74 index exploding when drilled... common seriously???

Banned
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by CCGREEN View Post
    I say embrace your chosen profession and do what you can to improve it on line and with your patients. The information they find on line will always be there and you will never be able to change it. You can only deal with it.
    If you cant do that then maybe its time to move along?
    If everyone posting on the forum realized that this is a public forum and they have to choose their words carefully when talking about frame and lens brands, including accuracy of the info they post it will be all fine. People post about how retarded their patient was today.. That's not cool.

Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    Are you sure you are guy? Because you are acting like a woman in menopause... On top of people who has no clue about what they are doing, I am assuming they have no idea what they are doing as they post a thread asking how to fit a progressive, there are people like Lenny who didn't get to live their childhood and acting like it online.
    That is sexist, insulting and a violation of forum rules. It seems that you are violating the very same principles you want to impose on everyone else.

Steve,
    There is a guy post a thread asking about 1.74 index exploding when drilled... common seriously???
    So? You've never had a lens that shattered when drilled?

Thank you for your suggestions but I suggest you worry more aobut your own conduct than the conduct of others.

OptiBoard Administrator
    ----
    OptiBoard has been proudly serving the Eyecare Community since 1995.

Thread Information