Thread: Rude Frame Rep.

Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field

Rude Frame Rep.

Today a rep shows up 1 hour earlier than scheduled pulls into our CUSTOMER handicapped parking space , pulls out his bags and comes through the doors. As I was with a customer he asked to use my telephone. Assuming he needed to make a quick call to check messages I pointed him in the direction of my office where I was able to hear him contacting several accounts FROM MY PHONE.

After about 20 minutes I am finished as he continues conducting business ON MY PHONE. After using my phone for at least 45 minutes he asks if I am ready to look at frames and started showing some new styles. Then his cell phone rings and he excuses himself to take a call for another 10 minutes. Upset with the fact this guy is wasting my time, I return to my lab to do some edging. Another patient then comes in which I begin servicing and he then finishes his cell phone call and returns to my office to conduct more personal business ON MY PHONE. In the meantime this guys frames are spread across my dispensary as I am trying to navigate customers around them. To top it all off he looses a sample frame and then suggested that I took it.

As a one man band most of the time, I am committed to servicing the needs of our patients first and executing business operations second. Reps which value our business relationship respect this and patiently wait as I meet these prevailing demands. This company has some nice product which I sell through pretty well but unfortunately I dislike dealing with their rep and therefore will not reorder as long as he remains the middleman.

Just Venting
    Kevin

Occupation
    You need to contact the corporate office for that vendor. This kind of behavior is inexcusable.

OptiBoard Administrator
    ----
    OptiBoard has been proudly serving the Eyecare Community since 1995.

Bad address email on file Mikef's Avatar
    Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    Kevin,

I am a rep! That stuff drives me nuts! We have a couple of guys and gals like that in my area! I hate to even use my customers bathroom. If the guy has a cell phone why does he need to use your phone?

As a rep, One thing that drives me nuts is when I am at an appointment and another rep strolls in and stays. We have a rep in our area that has done this to me 20 times! Then I have to listen to him tell everyone how wonderful he is! I can't see how anyone ever buys from this A--?:angry:

I try as hard as I can not to get in the way of my customers! I hope I don't!

Michael

Bad address email on file stephanie's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Angry

Yea we had one the other day. While I do agree he did have an appointment and the optician his appointment with wasn't there he did NOT have to be rude to me because of it. First of all it wasn't like she just ditched him...one of our opticians in another office is pregnant and our optician was filling in for her...hey things happen. After I told him why she wasn't there he then says " OH WELL THIS IS JUST GREAT WHAT A WASTE OF MY TIME". Well I said look this wasn't anyone's fault really it was just an oversight. He then started hounding me about what frames I wanted. I tried explaining to him I didn't do any ordering and he kept trying to insist. Then finally I got really firm and said look I don't do the ordering ok I am sorry she is NOT here but you can bring in all the frames you want I still don't have anything to do with ordering you need to schedule another appointment. Then he went out muttering you guys would be ****** if I did this to you. What a CREEP!! Made a mental note not to sell any frames by that manufacturer!!! I never really did anyway because I personally don't like them at all but once I got a load of this guy oh forget get they won't get anything out of me!!

Steph

Occupation
    Why don't people complain directly to the vendors when stuff like this happens? There is no excuse for this kind of behavior - none at all.

OptiBoard Administrator
    ----
    OptiBoard has been proudly serving the Eyecare Community since 1995.

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Frame Manufacturer
    Sounds like my friend, Gary Mxxxxx, the guy used to be a body guard.

I will kick his bxxx if he does that to you again. I am on your side!

Bad address email on file GatorGirl's Avatar

Angry rude frame rep

I have a recent experience with the snottest and rudest rep in all of the state of florida.

There are few people in this state who don't know this rep, so I won't use his name, just his product type(a lot of titanum and hb products.)

Recently he came in pretty much unannouced(I say a day or two notice). WE haven't seen him since January and we have alot of 2001 product on board to return. I think he has no concept of board mangement.:o Well he shows up 1/2 an hour late and gets mad because we want to return out dated product. He gets so mad he pulls all of his product, even the current stuffand leaves, (unfortunately he doesn't take the 99's he states he "can't" take back.) My boards are now so full of holes I am not sure what to do.

The good thing is one of my wonderful reps has an appointment later that day and comes in early to see if we can go to lunch and then do the order.

The sad thing is now I have a 5000.00 credit for merchandise I rather not put back on our shelves. They will not issue a check and now even after talking to this person boss, he will not return calls and set up an appointment. I should say that after he took everything out of the office and submittee his credit, he got in trouble, lost the Caribbean and South America, and call for days to resolve the problem.

This is the worst example of a rep. I hope those in Florida get treated better by this man

Christina
    :hammer:

Master OptiBoarder Joann Raytar's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Thumbs down

That's allright.

We have a variety of larger size contact lens solutions for in-office use in our contact area. The rep for a company that sells solutions for soft contact lenses came in and, apparently, on his way out decided to throw his competitors' solutions in the garbage can. :finger: Unfortunately, he threw everything out, including the solutions for hard contact lenses. His over zealous need to "roll play" on busy patient days when people are waiting for help was bad enough but this was the last straw.
    :angry:
    The Ciba rep was in yesterday and turned out to be quite a gentleman. No roll playing games, hardcore sales pitches and underhanded tactics just good information. I think I will now be recommending Ciba solutions to our patients. AOSept always was a nice kit and now they make a one bottle peroxide system and a multi-use formula as well.

Occupation
    I did indeed contact the company sales manager after his visit. She was not in her office but I left a voice mail for her to call me to discuss the situation.

I am sure he was making long distance phone calls and therefore will inform the company manager that we will be sending a bill for his usage and will not reorder anymore product until they send a new respectable rep through our doors.

After a lenghthy discussion with my doc our conclusion is that this guy gives everyone the creeps and isn't welcome in our place anymore.

Kevin

OptiBoard Professional Excel-Lentes's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    This has happened to me before. I let someone use our phone and it turned out to be another account and the conversation turned personal and started to go on and on. I told the rep to get off the phone/ this line is for our business, not yours.

I try to schedule appointments during down times or after hours. This is better for us and it doesn't interrupt patient care. The reps get in and out - very productive.

Master OptiBoarder Texas Ranger's Avatar

Smilie

Kev. I had a rep for a reputable firm that called on me for some time, when he started "offering" us other lines product, "on the side"; turned out that he'd been shoplifting his other accounts(and probably mine too) and re selling them to other shops at a discount. it takes all kinds, but I don't like reps "inventorying" my boards, any more than unaccompanied "shopper's". the best thing to do is when you have an appointment, pull all of their product off the boards, gather them together and go over them with the rep; we have a kitchen area that's private from the dispensing area; we do handle pts as a priority, are considerate with our reps, appreciate their field. in '88 I had a lady rep call on me for an area lab(now defunct). it was the day after my mom died, and I had come by the office for an hour to clear up some loose ends on my way to the funeral home..this lady was totally indignant with me for not keeping my appointment with her; I refused to ever see her again, no matter who she worked for! it is still so very vivid how upset that lady was with me, it was pretty unbelieveable! mostly, I truely enjoy the long-term relationship we have with most of our reps. it's a tough way to make a living, especially in the Texas heat, and long drives; I would be upset if I drove 2 hours in 100 heat only to have an appointment be blown up; but, it happens!

Occupation
    UPDATE:

Company sales manager contacted me this morning and indicated she has taken several accounts from this guy and has given them to another rep. She was very polite and appologetic for his actions. From now on I will also have a new rep with this company.

I didn't name the company because I don't think
    it's fair to other reps selling the product in other areas to take any heat for his behavior.

For others beware of a cross between a Liberacci and Elvira look alike with the initials of CBW.

Kevin

Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor
    LOL.....The rep must like you to think you wouldn't mind him taking over your shop for an hour. Or he thinks you like him, especially and he can pull any crap he wants. Why not just tell him outright when he visits again that you don't like him...and walk away from him. He won't pull his number again. It's not normal the way he acted and I bet I'm right...he thinks you really like him. Funny story.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Optical Laboratory Technician
    Nothing like dredging up an 8yr. old thread....
    Clinton Tower

The intellect to live free is in short supply
    ALT248=°

Occupation
    Why not? Saw the date after I posted, thought it worth a response anyway being I was on the board. Rarely use this site....where to go?

Rising Star
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    It's ALIVE!!! Bwah ha ha haaaa!! (Maniacal laughter)

Ophthalmic Optician
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by weintrauba View Post
    Why not? Saw the date after I posted, thought it worth a response anyway being I was on the board. Rarely use this site....where to go?

I agree! Why not? There are still reps out there, but I think that there are very few rude ones left. A bad economy blows bad reps (and indy optical owners) away!

Welcome to Optiboard!!!:cheers::cheers::cheers:
    Ophthalmic Optician, Society to Advance Opticianry

Occupation
    Thanks for the welcome. Thought that post about the rep using the optician's telephone was pretty funny. So it's 2010, not 2002. Different business, different optical world. Some rep's did really well 8 years ago, when everyone reordered. Miss those days. Still have my own distributorship, and a sales force of one. Really miss those reordering days, though.

Occupation
    Johns is right; the thread is still relevant. Actually, Jo's post about the contact lens solution rep struck a chord because one of my reps did the exact same thing! (That particular rep is now banned from the office for rude behaviour, including accusing me of misusing "her" starter kits. Doc hit the roof when he heard that one.)

Thread Information