Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How do you know that?

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

How do you know that?

Today, we had a patient whom we had to read the glasses for the doctor prior to a refraction. The glasses were progressives. Right eye was a marked as a 1.67 Shamir Free Form and the left was a polycarbonate Essilor Ovation. Rx was OD +6.00-2.00 x130/ +2.50 add OS +5.00 -3.75 x 35/+2.50 add. We do not know where she got them previously.

The patient took the RX to a local big box discount store to have a new pair made today and the "optician" called us to ask what was wrong with the old. I proceeded to tell them our findings. She then kept asking me how would we would know that. I said they have markings that you can identify them. She then hung up on me. Unbelievable!

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    As Dr McDonald says, "some states only require a pulse". Pennsylvania is un-licensed, so really not her fault. Blame her employer for hiring burger flippers, blame the state for not setting any minimum requirements to protect the public and use the credential "optician", and hope she doesn't get promoted to the pharmacy.

Bad address email on file jherman's Avatar
    Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    i like that

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I am very aware of the situation in unlicensed states as I was very involved in it here in PA. Just ask Warren and Roy. I served as President of the Opticians Association of Pennsylvania and as OAA State Society Chair. It is frustrating.
    Sincerely, Bev Heishman ABOM, NCLC-AC, AAS,

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    It sure is a sorry state of affairs out there.

Damn shame!

Ophthalmic Optician
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Markings? What kind of markings?
    Ophthalmic Optician, Society to Advance Opticianry

Occupation
    Optical Laboratory Technician
    Hey, just last night one uninformed OB poster jumped all over another very informed poster for discussing things others missed. It seems that opticians everywhere assume the highly knowledgable are idiots because we speak in "tongues" that the uninformed don't understand.
    Wesley S. Scott, MBA, MIS, ABOM, NCLE-AC, LDO - SC & GA

“As our circle of knowledge expands, so does the circumference of darkness surrounding it.” -Albert Einstein

Banned
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Wes View Post
    Hey, just last night one uninformed OB poster jumped all over another very informed poster for discussing things others missed. It seems that opticians everywhere assume the highly knowledgable are idiots because we speak in "tongues" that the uninformed don't understand.
    Let's clarify, That UNINFORMED OB poster was discussing the way the information was given, NOT the information given! You sound like a real class act there WES! How's that for UNINFORMED?

Cape Codger OptiBoard Gold Supporter hcjilson's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Hi Bev, I can't tell you how much I have missed seeing you post here. For you later members, Bev is one of the "longest standing members" She is a premier optician practicing in a state that has difficulty recognizing one. She has worked tirelessly to better our profession and she is a wonderful person. Other that that I can't say enough good about her except we missed you.

your friend harry
    "Always laugh when you can. It is a cheap medicine"
    Lord Byron

Take a photo tour of Cape Cod and the Islands!
    www.capecodphotoalbum.com

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Thank you, Harry! It has just been a few difficult years with my health. So I kind of disappeared from the scene. Starting to write again as I have lots to share. Bev
    Bev Heishman, ABOM, NCLC-AC

Cape Codger OptiBoard Gold Supporter hcjilson's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Bev Heishman View Post
    Thank you, Harry! It has just been a few difficult years with my health. So I kind of disappeared from the scene. Starting to write again as I have lots to share. Bev
    You certainly do! I am really happy to see you back! I never fail to learn something from your post's and I am glad your health problems have subsided enough to have you come back!
    "Always laugh when you can. It is a cheap medicine"
    Lord Byron

Take a photo tour of Cape Cod and the Islands!
    www.capecodphotoalbum.com

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by dash1 View Post
    Let's clarify, That UNINFORMED OB poster was discussing the way the information was given, NOT the information given! You sound like a real class act there WES! How's that for UNINFORMED?
    I'm sure that you will have something positive to share with our community at some point in the near future. I will be looking forward to reading it. Until that time, comes, please think a bit before jumping on my friends about whom you obviously know nothing.

Diane
    Anything worth doing is worth doing well.

Banned
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    [QUOTE=Diane:421430]
    I'm sure that you will have something positive to share with our community at some point in the near future. I will be looking forward to reading it. Until that time, comes, please think a bit before jumping on my friends about whom you obviously know nothing.

you and your community are hopeless! I'm done posting dont worry!

Occupation
    I didn't call you out. You just called yourself out. Classy?

“As our circle of knowledge expands, so does the circumference of darkness surrounding it.” -Albert Einstein

Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    Just wanted to say Hi Bev. We missed you!

OptiBoard Administrator
    ----
    OptiBoard has been proudly serving the Eyecare Community since 1995.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Hi Steve! Thanks.
    Bev Heishman, ABOM, NCLC-AC

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    All I can say is that I have knowd some pretty top notch Opticians from "unlicensed" states and some pretty crappy "opticians" from licensed states...yes, I mean Florida! I am in no way downplaying education and certification, but I have come to learn that how good you are at your job has NOTHING to do with a piece of paper from the state....which is usually more interested in getting you money and to how good you are at your job......
    "Coimhéad fearg fhear na foighde"

Rising Star
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    You mean there are markings on the lenses!?!?

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    You sound like a real class act there WES!

Wes is actually a class act. He is very skilled and knowledgeable. I think you would be wise to listen to. When I first came to the board and started posting I knew nothing. Now I know a little more then nothing but Wes helped point me in the right directions. If I were you I would learn more before posting. I do not know what experience you have or don't have but you may have the same problem I did I didn't know what I didn't know. Read some books and study for your own sake.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    sounds like that 2 lenses were made at 2 different times by 2 different stores. There are still opticians will order ONE (half pair) un-matching PAL lens. unbelievable
    Paul @ Silicon Valley California

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    That's OK, I still love opticians who order a pair of progressives lenses for patients who only need a balance lens for one eye.....
    "Coimhéad fearg fhear na foighde"

Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by Mizikal View Post
    Wes is actually a class act. He is very skilled and knowledgeable. I think you would be wise to listen to. When I first came to the board and started posting I knew nothing. Now I know a little more then nothing but Wes helped point me in the right directions. If I were you I would learn more before posting. I do not know what experience you have or don't have but you may have the same problem I did I didn't know what I didn't know. Read some books and study for your own sake.
    Thanks. I must admit to growing exceedingly frustrated with the arrogance, ignorance and apathy that pervades my profession, and it's been coming through in my posts. To any I may have offended, apologies.

Quote Originally Posted by EyeManFla View Post
    That's OK, I still love opticians who order a pair of progressives lenses for patients who only need a balance lens for one eye.....
    I've actually done this a time or two at the patients' request. Some want the lenses to match because they don't want anyone to know they have a blind eye. Explanations that hardly anyone will notice, except other ECPs go unheeded.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I'll never forget the experience of watching the 'lab manager' at an optometrist office I worked for read a pair of progressives. Instead of marking them up, she somehow found an optical center, dotted them up, and used that to measure the PD and seg height. Including lenses that had 6 base down prism thinning, etc...
    No wonder she had a lot of animosity towards me when I tried to explain that there was infact a whole other way to do things.

Of course, it's hard to mad at someone who doesn't know what they don't know or what they should know. The doctor who was dumb enough to run an optical shop without trained professionals is reaps what he sowed

Occupation
    Annie, there's that ignorance-bred arrogance that I was talking about.

Thread Information