Thread: Is "Eagle Vision" lenses a marketing gimmick?

Banned
    Occupation
    Consumer or Non-Eyecare field

Is "Eagle Vision" lenses a marketing gimmick?

I'm not sure if I can name companies so I will use their initials. I bought some Flexon frames and EagleVision HD lenses from EM about 4-5 years ago. At the time, I thought maybe the "HD" lens was a gimmic. I opted for it to give it a try. Recently, my Flexon frames broke at the bridge (2nd pair to do that). I decided to give online glasses a try, so I purchased a pair from CC. I ordered the highest index lens since I have a strong Rx. When they came in, I was impressed with the quality and customer support. The lens on the other hand were disappointing. I tried them out for a week but they gave me a headache. One of the first things I noticed was the distortion and blurriness when I looked anywhere but center of the lens. I contacted CC about this and described the EagleVision HD lens that I purchased from EM, but they said they didnt offer similar lens. So I returned the glasses to CC and went back to EM. I ordered a new pair of Flexon frames and the EagleVision HD lens. So far I am happy with them EXCEPT for the fact I already see some small scratches. I paid $280 with tax for the Flexon frames, EagleVision HD lens with Anti-reflective coating.

So, that leads me to the subject of the thread. Is this a marketing gimmick? I "think" I see a difference with these lens, maybe CC just used very cheap lens material? (they claimed it was polycarbonate) One the selling points of EagleVision HD is its uniform sharpness, which I can see compared to the lens from CC. Is there any reputable online companies that sell quality lens like this, maybe not called "EagleVision HD" since Im sure thats something EM calls its lens.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I use to work in the lab @ EM, the HD lenses are nothing more than trivex. They use aspheric and double aspheric, they really are good lenses but they don't like to tell people what they are mostly because a lot of those (not all) opticians in the chain stores know only what the chain tells them and they don't research other things because they cant get them anyway. and buying glasses online is a BAD idea. You should always go to your local optician to get your specs. Better service, warranty coverage, more accurate measurements, and a person that can help you with styles and frame size for best look with your prescription.

hope that helps.
    equal opportunity offender!!

Banned
    Occupation
    Consumer or Non-Eyecare field
    Quote Originally Posted by bhess25 View Post
    I use to work in the lab @ EM, the HD lenses are nothing more than trivex. They use aspheric and double aspheric, they really are good lenses but they don't like to tell people what they are mostly because a lot of those (not all) opticians in the chain stores know only what the chain tells them and they don't research other things because they cant get them anyway. and buying glasses online is a BAD idea. You should always go to your local optician to get your specs. Better service, warranty coverage, more accurate measurements, and a person that can help you with styles and frame size for best look with your prescription.

hope that helps.
    When people say "local optician", do you mean the optician at the chain stores or a independent optician office? Most of the local places are either nationwide chains or local chains.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by eyecu View Post
    When people say "local optician", do you mean the optician at the chain stores or a independent optician office? Most of the local places are either nationwide chains or local chains.
    read my post again...im pretty sure its easy to tell i DO NOT mean a chain store!!!

youll get great service at a mom and pop shop, they care more about their customer base, most times they want to do everything they can to make you happy and have you come back, and the bonus is that they get to know you on a more personal level and they learn your preference on frame styles. a small local chain might not be so bad though, they tend to provide more lens options than the big chains do, and their knowledge is typically top notch!!!
    equal opportunity offender!!

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    ....this is why you don't order glasses online and should visit independent offices instead.

I'm not sure how many times us Opticians can stress enough why a patient shouldn't purchase glasses online, yet people keep doing it because they think they'll get a better deal. Forget not being able to see out of them! I just spent $23.50 for a pair of "top-notch" glasses! There are so many factors as to why you probably couldn't see out of them. Could have been an incorrect RX put in or a wrong PD. Sure, they'll tell you their "premium" product but think about it. Are you REALLY getting a premium product for a cheap price? The answer is...probably not. So good luck in the future!

Just my 2 cents.

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Gold Supporter Judy Canty's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Things that make you go "hmmmmm...":

Quote Originally Posted by eyecu View Post
    I'm not sure if I can name companies so I will use their initials. I bought some Flexon frames and EagleVision HD lenses from EM about 4-5 years ago. At the time, I thought maybe the "HD" lens was a gimmic. I opted for it to give it a try. Recently, my Flexon frames broke at the bridge (2nd pair to do that). I decided to give online glasses a try, so I purchased a pair from CC. I ordered the highest index lens since I have a strong Rx. When they came in, I was impressed with the quality and customer support. The lens on the other hand were disappointing. I tried them out for a week but they gave me a headache. One of the first things I noticed was the distortion and blurriness when I looked anywhere but center of the lens. I contacted CC about this and described the EagleVision HD lens that I purchased from EM, but they said they didnt offer similar lens. So I returned the glasses to CC and went back to EM. I ordered a new pair of Flexon frames and the EagleVision HD lens. So far I am happy with them EXCEPT for the fact I already see some small scratches. I paid $280 with tax for the Flexon frames, EagleVision HD lens with Anti-reflective coating.

So, that leads me to the subject of the thread. Is this a marketing gimmick? I "think" I see a difference with these lens, maybe CC just used very cheap lens material? (they claimed it was polycarbonate) One the selling points of EagleVision HD is its uniform sharpness, which I can see compared to the lens from CC. Is there any reputable online companies that sell quality lens like this, maybe not called "EagleVision HD" since Im sure thats something EM calls its lens.
    I don't know if I should laugh or cry...

Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    Isn't there no tax on prescription eyewear? :shiner:
    There are rules. Knowing those are easy. There are exceptions to the rules. Knowing those are easy. Knowing when to use them is slightly less easy. There are exceptions to the exceptions. Knowing those is a little more tricky, and know when to use those is even more so. Our industry is FULL of all of the above.

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Gold Supporter DragonLensmanWV's Avatar
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Uh..guys...Consumer!
    DragonlensmanWV N.A.O.L.
    "There is nothing patriotic about hating your government or pretending you can hate your government but love your country."

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Gold Supporter Judy Canty's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I know, I know...but I just couldn't resist the big target on his forehead.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by WFruit View Post
    Isn't there no tax on prescription eyewear? :shiner:
    Yes, there is no tax.

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I paid $280 with tax for the Flexon frames, EagleVision HD lens with Anti-reflective coating.
    Tax should ONLY be applied to non RX items. IE: NON RX ophthalmic glasses and sunglasses...

Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    As per the OptiBoard Posting Guidelines:

This forum is for Eyecare Professionals. Consumers are allowed to post in the Just Conversation forum and non-optical topics only. Please be aware that any questions involving optics or eyecare may be removed. These kinds of questions should be discussed with a qualified eyecare professional who has examined you and is familiar with your situation.

OptiBoard Administrator
    ----
    OptiBoard has been proudly serving the Eyecare Community since 1995.

Thread Information