Thread: My Dad

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

My Dad

He told stories about how, as a child, he followed the horse-drawn ice truck, as it delivered ice in North Philadelphia. He was the sonar man on a minesweeper that swept Nagasaki harbor at the end of WWII. After the service he graduated from Temple University. He taught elementary Phys Ed for almost 40 years. He ALWAYS had a second job, and a summer job. He was handy, generous, kind, and a goofball. I didn't hear a curse pass his lips until I was an adult, not even damn or hell. After a long illness in 2000/2001, he used a walker or wheelchair. For the last couple of years he has not known his family's names, who they were, and sometime where he was. Two weeks ago he kicked a nursing home aid in the chest, something he would never, ever do, had he been in his right mind. Last Wednesday he died of pneumonia as I held his hand.
    ...Just ask me...

Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    I'm so sorry to hear that. My condolences.

OptiBoard Administrator
    ----
    OptiBoard has been proudly serving the Eyecare Community since 1995.

Bad address email on file k12311997's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I hope you will accept my sincere condolences.

Compulsive Truthteller OptiBoard Gold Supporter Uncle Fester's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    After a 2 week battle with a couple of my sisters I convinced my mother (with help from other loved ones and his doctor) that Dad would not want to come out of his coma to a life attached to machines. Two days after we stopped food and water he lightened from his coma and I told him we loved him and it was ok to let go and stop breathing. He took one last breath, held it and died from a heart attack.

Easily the hardest time of my life.

My sympathy to you and yours Spex.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    My deepest sympathy to you spex.
    Jana Lewis
    ABOC , NCLE

A fine quotation is a diamond on the finger of a man of wit, and a pebble in the hand of a fool.
    Joseph Roux

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    My sympathies, Spex.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    My deepest condolences to you. Seems like your Dad was a very fine man. That's to be proud for. I'm sure you're just like him.

Diane
    Anything worth doing is worth doing well.

One eye sees, the other feels OptiBoard Silver Supporter
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Spexvet,

Your father must have been a pretty cool guy going by the one kid of his that I know.

I buried Anthony J. Martellaro November 27, 2010.

Celebrate his life, and make damn sure that you pass those stories of his youth, the war, and his adult life on to your children, nieces, nephews, or to anyone who will listen.

Peace,

Robert

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I am so sorry to hear of your loss, and I'm sending good thoughts your way. It's so hard to lose loved ones during a holiday season. I hope that you have family and friends to help carry the burden and bring you some peace.

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Gold Supporter DragonLensmanWV's Avatar
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Alzheimer's is SUCH a horrible disease. It kills your loved ones long before their body dies. Everyone that goes through that comes out of it with a new-found view of the end-of-life debate.

My father in law was a chemical engineer, and even early on in his dementia, he had problems. Once he was wanting to help fix supper so my wife had him make the Kool-Aid. Problem was, he could not figure out how to make Kool-Aid. Alzheimer's killed him and all four of his brothers. Now it's starting for his wife.
    It touched my grandfather, who overheard his Colt pistol and his Winchester rifle plotting against him, so he took the rifle out and shot it with the pistol.
    DragonlensmanWV N.A.O.L.
    "There is nothing patriotic about hating your government or pretending you can hate your government but love your country."

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I feel what you're going through as I was there with my mom last December 3rd when she passed away from multiple cardiac arrests. I was the only person in the room. It's a fortunate/unfortunate thing. My thoughts and prayers are with you and your family during this difficult time.

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter Now I See's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I'm so sorry to hear of your loss. He sounds like he was a wonderful man, and I'm glad that you have many fond memories to carry you through this difficult time. Don't let the stories end....tell his stories....keep him in your heart.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I'm sorry for your loss. How lucky for you that you had such a person in your life to guide you and be your rock. Not everybody is as lucky as you and I'm sure it will take much time to process the loss. Thank you for intruducing him to us through his eulogy. Not often do any of us get a chance to meet someone or even hear of someone so special.

Thinking of you and your family.
    "Strictly speaking, there are no enlightened beings; only enlightened activity." -Shunryu Suzuki

OptiBoard Apprentice conantoptics's Avatar
    Occupation
    Lens Manufacturer
    Deeply sorry for you .
    Hello, this is Kevin Wan! :cheers:

Optical Educator
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Hi Spex,

My thoughts, prayers, and e-hugs are going out to you and your family now.

Love Love Love that you were able to be with him, and bring him comfort and held his hand through his last moments here on earth.

Sending extra good vibes to you tonight,

My daughters and I went to my next-door neighbor's mom's funeral today. She was 102, lived a good life, but it was still sad, and makes me all the more thankful for the people in our lives.

Big hugs to you (((( ))))

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    You have wonderful memories to carry you forward..........my deepest sympathy's to you for you loss.
    I came, I saw, I left

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    It's never easy no matter how long we had them or the suffering they had to endure at the end. If you had the chance to say goodbye it's a gift. I did not but know that he always knew I loved him very much. I think as we lose this generation we not only mourn our loved ones but also the passage of time and the end to part of our own lives. Those stories though, we need to pass them on and see to it that they are passed on again to celebrate a good man and a life well lived. My condolences on your loss Spex.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Montgomery Gentry, Something To Be Proud Of Lyrics

Looking for Montgomery Gentry tabs and chords? Browse alphabet (above).
    Artist: Montgomery Gentry
    Song: Something To Be Proud Of
    Album: You Do Your Thing

Montgomery Gentry Sheet Music
    Montgomery Gentry CDs

There's a story that my daddy tells religiously
    Like clockwork every time he sees an opening
    In a conversation about the way things used to be
    Well I'd just roll my eyes and make a bee-line for the door
    But I'd always wind up starry-eyed, cross-legged on the floor
    Hanging on to every word
    Man, the things I heard

It was harder times and longer days
    Five miles to school, uphill both ways
    We were cane switch raised, and dirt floor poor
    'Course that was back before the war
    Yeah, your uncle and I made quite a pair
    Flying F-15's through hostile air
    He went down but they missed me by a hair
    He'd always stop right there and say...

That's something to be proud of
    That's a life you can hang your hat on
    That's a chin held high as the tears fall down
    A gut sucked in, a chest stuck out
    Like a small town flag a-flyin'
    Or a newborn baby cryin'
    In the arms of the woman that you love
    That's something to be proud of
    ~Montgomery Gentry

Spex,
    My deepest sympathies on you loss, stay in prayer, peace and love. Be proud of the life he led, be proud to be his child, be glad you could be with him at the end. It was the most important moment of his life, whether he knew it or not.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Optical Laboratory Technician
    Our Dads and our Moms- what fools we once thought of them, followed eventually by the realization that there was a reason why they said and did all those things. And how we spent our own years hoping and praying that we'd turn out to be as "good" as they were. They were from a generation of people never put to the test like any before them and will be missed. My Pop passed over 20 years ago at the age of 53 from chemical exposure in South Vietnam. His passing came quickly so we did not watch him go through the changes you saw your Dad suffer with. I am sorry for your loss and hope that you, like me eventually those more painful memories you spoke of will be distant and not often recalled. Instead you will think of all the many good times, happy days, and for me at least, some of the goofy, happy things that our Dads sometimes did. I am lucky to say now that whenever I think of my Dad it always makes me smile. I hope you'll learn to smile too. Chris.
    Chris Beard
    The State of Jefferson !

I'm a Medford man – Medford, Oregon. Up in Medford, we take our time making up our minds."

Thread Information