Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: E-reader

Barticus Prime - Optibot opticianbart's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

E-reader

I'm looking into getting an E-reader, does anyone have one already? Thoughts, suggestions, donations?

Right now I'm leaning towards the Barnes & Noble Nook color.

:)
    Bart Smith, continuing to be awesome since 1982 so that you don't have to.

Love is a duet, each voice complementing each other and making them sound better than they would alone, each voice at times stepping back and letting the other shine. We've got a pretty good duet going Tina.

On April 28th, I'll be marrying my best friend. I can't wait!

One of the worst people here
    Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    From people who have them, I hear the Kindle is the way to go. It's screen is specially designed to be soft on the eyes and make it easy to read. Apparently the competitors have not come close.

Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    My wife has both a Kindle 2 and Kindle 3 and swears by them. I prefer paper.... She tried the Nook, but found the Kindle screen to be much, much easier on her eyes. She's also found almost all of her school text books on Kindle at substantially less than she would have paid. That alone has more than paid for both of them. You can also get PDF files on the Kindle as well. I can see where to Nook Color would be nice IF you were reading a lot of material with pictures. For just straight books, the Kindle is the way to go.
    There are rules. Knowing those are easy. There are exceptions to the rules. Knowing those are easy. Knowing when to use them is slightly less easy. There are exceptions to the exceptions. Knowing those is a little more tricky, and know when to use those is even more so. Our industry is FULL of all of the above.

Bad address email on file k12311997's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    got my daughter a nook color I was only able to mess with it a little before she reminded me it was her present . Kindle read books. NookColor read books ,surf the web ,read email, pandora ,youtube , optiboard, chess, and the county library loans ebooks compatible with Nook and others not Kindle.

OptiBoard Apprentice cyberoptician's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I got the NOOKcolor and love it! it does everything except call your friends! My daughter had the Sony ereader and likes it too, but it does not hold a candle to what the NOOKcolor can do.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by k12311997 View Post
    got my daughter a nook color I was only able to mess with it a little before she reminded me it was her present . Kindle read books. NookColor read books ,surf the web ,read email, pandora ,youtube , optiboard, chess, and the county library loans ebooks compatible with Nook and others not Kindle.
    whelp, that did it right there, I'm sold

Love is a duet, each voice complementing each other and making them sound better than they would alone, each voice at times stepping back and letting the other shine. We've got a pretty good duet going Tina.

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    The kindle, if you get the one with 3g, can surf the web, albeit in black and white only and slowly.

It depends on what you want. Do you want an e reader that's easy on the eyes and lasts weeks (months with wireless turned off) on one battery charge? Get the Kindle. Do you want a dumbed-down iPad that has to be charged daily (but can still do other things)? Get the Nook Color.

I don't really want to call the Nook Color an ereader. It's more of a tablet that can also read e-books. The Kindle, using e-ink, ia a true e-reader. E-ink displays don't use any battery life displaying a page, only when changing from page-to-page or to refresh the screen.

For me, the convenience of having a tiny (look at the Kindle 3!) almost-infini-batterylife Kindle is more important than the multifunction neutered iPad, the Nook Color. But I read books much more infrequently, and having something around that's been sitting for two months ready to read is much more convenient than having a device I have to tether every 14 hours. But that's me, and it depends on what you want it for.

Banned
    Only City in the World built over a Volcano
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Kindle

Be carefull, I got my wife (a librarian who didn't know what one was). After they made friends, she buys about Five E. books a day. Can cost you money over a year or two's time.

Chip:hammer:

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    At least the E-books are usually $3-10 instead of $15-30! Though the free wireless on the Kindle makes it way too easy to buy on a whim.

My Kindle can browse the web, and I use it for Wikipedia. I swear it's the equivalent of the Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy now.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Anybody have any information or experience with a Literati by Sharper Image?

Chip, is that YOU in the flesh? Merry Christmas/Happy New Year.!!!

Diane
    Anything worth doing is worth doing well.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    What about doing an Ipad? I know it's way more expensive than the ereaders, but I think you can download the different apps to do which ever you want. I download stuff to my iphone all the time to read, but it's definitely harder to see than a kindle or other specific ereaders.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I thought about the Ipad actually, but I don't need all the computer stuff with it, mainly I want it for leasure reading, and (not to sound to dorky and all, but...) to hold my Library of RPG books when I go a'gaming. Not carrying around 50 pounds (or more) worth of giant hardback books would be...nice.

Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    Actually, if that's going to be your main use for it, the Nook might actually be better for you. And that really would be a sweet use for it.

I think the best comparison would be:

Kindle = New York Times
    Nook = USA Today
    There are rules. Knowing those are easy. There are exceptions to the rules. Knowing those are easy. Knowing when to use them is slightly less easy. There are exceptions to the exceptions. Knowing those is a little more tricky, and know when to use those is even more so. Our industry is FULL of all of the above.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by WFruit View Post
    And that really would be a sweet use for it.

I thought so too, I kinda worried about outing myself as a complete and total dork... but ummm... I'm pretty sure that cat's been out of the bag for a long time.

Bad address email on file fvc2020's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Love my Color Nook the best present I received....can't put it down...Can do everything...I have wireless....LOVE LOVE LOVE.....Go Buy It Now

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Now I am looking into getting a Nook Color. I don't do a TON of reading but it looks very sleek and nice to have. Darn it!! :bbg:

Objection! OptiBoard Gold Supporter shanbaum's Avatar
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor
    I received a Kindle as a gift and I'm really enjoying it. The screen makes for remarkably comfortable reading.

Cape Codger OptiBoard Gold Supporter hcjilson's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Maybe I missed it....but has anyone mentioned the iPad? It can do anything the kindle can and a whole lot more. My mother in law (aged 99) just got one and although she is struggling because of the manual that was never written, as well as arthritis which makes a separate keyboard mandatory, the machine performas as advertised.
    "Always laugh when you can. It is a cheap medicine"
    Lord Byron

Take a photo tour of Cape Cod and the Islands!
    www.capecodphotoalbum.com

Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    My wife and daughter-in-law both have the Kindle and love it. My grandson got the Nook but after playing with it for a while my wife still prefers the Kindle.

I have the iPad and just bought a couple of Photography books on it using the free Kindle app. It works great, and in fact is better than having a hard copy. I can place bookmarks and notes in areas with important info I may wish to review later, as well as highlight sections.

OptiBoard Administrator
    ----
    OptiBoard has been proudly serving the Eyecare Community since 1995.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Got a Kindle 3G AFTER Christmas. Love it...love it. Very easy to navigate, and read. Downloads immediatley. Very user friendly. Easy on the eyes. Tried the Literati and didn't like it. Hubby took it back.

Diane
    Anything worth doing is worth doing well.

One eye sees, the other feels OptiBoard Silver Supporter
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    http://www.funnyordie.com/videos/f7a...e-gets-an-ipad

I'm not ready for one yet, but when it's time, I'll probably give the nod to the more capable iPad, with its gaming, multimedia, browsing, app store support, and its magical ability to grants wishes (just kidding on the last part).
    Science is a way of trying not to fool yourself. - Richard P. Feynman

Experience is the hardest teacher. She gives the test before the lesson.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    One of my techie patients has two ipads, one for work, one for personal and he looooves them. He's not married to macs, so it doesn't seem like he's brainwashed to think everything with an "i" in front of it is da bomb. For him it's replaced his lap top. I'm thinking of saving for one, but I'm not sure I'm grown up enough to own another lap top. I tend to get a wee bit attached to them, and I forget to do things, like, feed my kids, laundry, shower. It's ridiculous. Ahhhh...someday I'll be a grownup.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Well I went out and got the NookColor last night, seems pretty good so far, it'll get it's first big workout tommorow night in my weekly Dark Heresy game (an Rpg that is essentially the Spanish Inquisition in space.) Agents of chaos beware! You will be purged of evil! You will be cleansed in FIRE!!! All hail the Omnisiah!

heh, good times, good times.

Bad address email on file k12311997's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    So was your post from your Nook? This one is from my daughters, I so gotta get one when finances allow

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    heh, no. I'm to fumbly fingered to type very well on the nook. Hopefuly it will get easier with practice.

Thread Information