Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Superbowl Commercials

Master OptiBoarder Cindy Hamlin's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Superbowl Commercials

I am not sure which was my favorite commercial. The one with the monkey doing the dance number or the one with Cedric the Entertainer where he is helping him pick up a woman by repeating what he says.

I think the picking up the woman commercial edges out the monkey slightly.

What is your favorite commercial?
    ~Cindy

"If you can't be a good example, then you'll just have to be a horrible warning." -Catherine Aird-

sub specie aeternitatis Pete Hanlin's Avatar
    Occupation
    Lens Manufacturer
    Overall, I thought they were pretty disappointing this year...

However, I DID like the Bud Light commercial (she entices him with her black teddy, then the red satin sheets, and finally the Bud Light brings him charging up to bed... only to slip across the sheets and fly out the window...).

I also liked the Southerner inserted into the NYC bar "How ya doin'?" commercial!

Finally, although I've never been a Brittany Spears fan, she did pretty well on the "Generational" commercial! Can't say that I liked U2 at halftime (well, can't say that I really saw much of that anyway, what with the Playmate Fear Factor showing during the half!
    ;)
    Pete Hanlin, ABOM
    Vice President Professional Services
    Essilor of America

http://linkedin.com/in/pete-hanlin-72a3a74

Cape Codger OptiBoard Gold Supporter hcjilson's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

The worst and the best!

I couldn't hear very well in a room with 75 people in it but you could sure see it on the BigScreen. Most of the people hushed up real quiet like when the woman was hit with the dart! Most failed to find humor in the guillotine ad which cut off a hand.What were the Quizno's people thinking when they produced it?You have a whole production framed around 9/11 and in comes the violence.Poor taste.

How about the Clydesdales tribute by Bud.That was pretty impressive, and got my vote for best.The monkey ad was also good, particularyly the opening and closing scenes.The Bud Ad that Pete mentioned was also outstanding!

I would agree that they were slightly less than usual but then again these are unusual times.

hj
    "Always laugh when you can. It is a cheap medicine"
    Lord Byron

Take a photo tour of Cape Cod and the Islands!
    www.capecodphotoalbum.com

Bad address email on file
    I Liked the bud lite one with the fighting robots. I was suprised by how many weren't new.
    Tom

Bad address email on file Don Lee's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I'm glad to say that I can't remember the last time I saw a commercial on TV or heard one on the radio. 15 years, maybe. I will mute the radio and and TV. I also turn the TV to a station that has nothing on it while setting my watch with a timer.

Don

Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    I've pretty much given up on watching professional sports. One gets tired of watching millionaire thugs pouting and carrying on like the world revolves around them. However I did watch the Super Bowl mostly to see if there were any interesting commercials. The commercials sucked this year, but the game sure held my attention. I was glad to see the Patirots pull it out at the end!

The only other professional sports game I've watched over the last year was the seventh ggame of the World Series. This and the Super Bowl were probably the best professional games played all year!

OptiBoard Administrator
    ----
    OptiBoard has been proudly serving the Eyecare Community since 1995.

Bad address email on file John R's Avatar
    Occupation
    Consumer or Non-Eyecare field

Redhot Jumper I knew it..

Ah at last the truth outs....:hammer: even you yanks dont like your version of rugby, as you seem to be more interested in the adds between the boring bits....:angry:
    If its that boring (Like watching paint dry to me) why not just turn it off and do something exciting like walk the dog......:cheers:

Bad address email on file OptiBoard Gold Supporter Sean's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    The Bud commercials were pretty good. But my personal favorite would have to be from a company that was called Bright Stor(no e at the end). The one that starts off with the company exec that comes running around the corner ............only to meet up with a file cabinet drawer which is head high and left open.

Occupation
    Actually I like football, but unfortunately professional sports is full of pampered thugs. Seems like everyone these days wants to "Be Like Mike!" (Tyson that is - not Jordan! )

OptiBoard Administrator
    ----

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Re: The worst and the best!

Originally posted by hcjilson
    How about the Clydesdales tribute by Bud.That was pretty impressive, and got my vote for best.The monkey ad was also good, particularyly the opening and closing scenes.The Bud Ad that Pete mentioned was also outstanding!
    When I was a child I got to see and ride in the Budweiser wagon when they had 40 Clydesdales hooked to it. They are monstrous animals and some weigh close to a ton! So to see them bowing to the city of NY did bring a tear to my eye!

All in all, they were pretty lame commercials this year! Maybe with all the 9-11 focus they didn't want to go too over the top!

Did anyone else find humor in that (big goof) Terry Bradshaw singing "Hard Day's Night" with Paul McCartney! He amazes me, guess he was cracked in the head too many times!
    ~Cindy

"If you can't be a good example, then you'll just have to be a horrible warning." -Catherine Aird-

Bad address email on file stephanie's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Stick out tongue

I must agree that most of the commercials this year were disappointing. The only ones I really liked were the one with Kevin Bacon and the Bud one with the guy flying out the window. I didn't like the half time show with U2 either. I have a KILLER Pepsi commercial idea that I have had for about 6 years now. If I only knew how to sell it to them without them ripping it off me all of you guys would be on here saying how much you liked it I just know it!! If anyone has any ideas for how I could sell it to them PLEASE let me know...It is awesome super bowl quality stuff. I ran it past my husband and parents and they loved it. It doesn't involve Britney either!!

Steph

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Originally posted by stephanie
    I ran it past my husband and parents and they loved it. It doesn't involve Britney either!! Steph
    So, Steph would you be the star??????
    ~Cindy

Objection! OptiBoard Gold Supporter shanbaum's Avatar
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor

Thumbs up For a change...

the game was better than the commericals.

Was no one else shocked by Fox's NASCAR ads, featuring crashes?

Occupation

Re: For a change...

Originally posted by shanbaum
    I saw that and thought the same things. It was in very poor taste!

OptiBoard Administrator
    ----

Occupation
    Lens Manufacturer
    Okay, I'm going to preface this comment by pointing out that, although I personally am not a redneck, I am related to and know many...

The intended audience of those commercials (i.e., NASCAR fans- of which there are a surprising number) was most assuredly not offended by those commercials.

As a NASCAR fan would say, "That's racin'." Accidents are a part of NASCAR in much the same way as fights are a part of the NHL. Although you don't necessarily "root" for an accident, you certainly don't mind seeing the nemises of your racing world (e.g., in my case, the #24 looks-like-a-rainbow-puked-on-it Chevy of Jeff Gordon) careening across the track into the wall.

Hopefully (and in by far most cases), the driver of said car sustains no real injuries and the result is simply the elimination of that driver/car from the event. Fatalities, like the one suffered by the Earnhardt family at last year's Daytona, serve to show that NASCAR fans are not necessarily blood hungry chuds set on destruction and mayhem (even anti-Earnhardt fans rallyed to show support for the family).

Anyway, "Wrecks is racin'!" Showing wrecks in a NASCAR promo (assuming it isn't a wreck that resulted in a fatality) is akin to promoting hockey by showing clips of fisticuffs...
    Pete Hanlin, ABOM
    Essilor of America

Occupation

Blue Jumper That would be worse

Originally posted by Pete Hanlin
    Anyway, "Wrecks is racin'!" Showing wrecks in a NASCAR promo (assuming it isn't a wreck that resulted in a fatality) is akin to promoting hockey by showing clips of fisticuffs...
    Wrecks in car racing are inevitable; fights in hockey aren't. I'm sure I'm in a tiny minority when I say that I think they add absolutely nothing to the game and should be prohibited.

Do you really think that that a large proportion of race fans get any pleasure out of seeing racers crash? That strikes me as a little sick, given that the danger of serious injury is so great. If the state of the art of the protective gear utilized by racers were so greatly improved as to make injury really unlikely, I might feel differently.

Have you seen Rollerball?

Bad address email on file Darris Chambless's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Re: That would be worse

Originally posted by shanbaum

Wrecks in car racing are inevitable; fights in hockey aren't. I'm sure I'm in a tiny minority when I say that I think they add absolutely nothing to the game and should be prohibited.

Do you really think that that a large proportion of race fans get any pleasure out of seeing racers crash? That strikes me as a little sick, given that the danger of serious injury is so great. If the state of the art of the protective gear utilized by racers were so greatly improved as to make injury really unlikely, I might feel differently.

Have you seen Rollerball?
    Today will be a cold day in heck ;)

I'm mostly in agreement with Robert here (God that pained me to say :) Car wrecks are inevitable, but fights in hockey are due to stupidity and promotion. I will be honest and say that the first questions out of my mouth when someone talks about a hockey game is; "Were there any good fights?" but I do enjoy the game very much because it moves so fast that I don't get bored. Car racing is boring to me so unless there's a wreck I get nothing out of it.

Fights in hockey get you 10 minutes in the penalty box. Fights in any other sport get you thrown out and or suspended for a specific number of games. Not so in hockey.

"Do you really think that that a large proportion of race fans get any pleasure out of seeing racers crash?"

The sad part Robert, is the answer to that question is unfortunately, Yes. People want to be where the action is and if none occurs they're disappointed. The fans also want to see altercations between drivers as well which also seems to be on the rise. It does draw people to the races though and the TV shows and advertisers sure do push those aspects of the event.

But, yup. I agree with you.

Rollerball is one of my favorite movies (the original with James Cahn) and I'm intrested in seeing how badly they mess it up with the new movie coming out. It is violent though, but it is also just a movie.

Take care,

Darris C.

Occupation

Big Smile Now, THIS would be fun

... if races were more like hockey games, and when drivers would get ****** off at one another, they'd get out of their cars and start punching each other.

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Gold Supporter Judy Canty's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I must agree with my favorite sportscaster, Warner Wolf, when he says, "if the gloves come off, you're out of the game."

Occupation
    Lens Manufacturer

Okay, allow me to revise my analogy a bit...

Okay, if you find fighting in hockey distasteful (which I can understand, since it is willful conduct that is not technically allowed nor part of the game), let me compare wrecks to "checking" in hockey (which is legal and a part of the game). A certain amount of bumping is part of racing (in NASCAR, anyway). Too much bumping, and you are black flagged (as, btw, Jeff Gordon was at the end of the final NASCAR race last season). Heck, you can spin someone out without even touching their car.

Point being, wrecks are a result of an integral part of the sport of NASCAR. Truth is, most wrecks do not end in injury or death (NASCAR cars are quite safe- fatalities and injuries are the exception, not the norm).

If the ad would have shown #3 plowing into turn four at last year's Daytona with the announcer proclaiming "Tune in and watch, you never know who may lose their life THIS year!" THAT would have been distasteful, disgusting, and would have turned the typical NASCAR fan's stomach... As it is, sometimes a wreck is one of the most climatic moments of a race (for a number of reasons... who pitted before vs. after the wreck, were any of the leaders affected, was the wreck a result of a lead changing maneuver, etc.).

Fighting in hockey may come to an end soon... I notice some players are actually attempting to bring charges of assult against players that stray too far outside the rules with aggressive behaviour. I'll admit that occasionally a hockey fight is entertaining, but that isn't why I tune in to watch the Penguins...

However, you aren't going to win too many arguments with NASCAR fans if your premise is that wrecks aren't part of the natural process of the sport that is NASCAR. NASCAR is sort of unique in this aspect, as wrecks in Formula, Drag, and other car races don't seem to play as dramatic a part in the strategy of the race...
    Pete Hanlin, ABOM
    Essilor of America

Occupation

Re: Okay, allow me to revise my analogy a bit...

Originally posted by Pete Hanlin
    However, you aren't going to win too many arguments with NASCAR fans if your premise is that wrecks aren't part of the natural process of the sport that is NASCAR.
    ...and I wouldn't try to. I still don't think that they need to advertise them. Pandering to our baser instincts, isn't it?

Bad address email on file stephanie's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Big Smile

Awww Cindy!! No I would NOT be the star. No one would really be interested in seeing me I am sure. LOL!! One of these days though it will grace America's tv....and I will be on my way to the bank. Ok ok I will wake up now!!

Steph

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

I have a lot of nascar fan friends....

and they tell me that the race can get mighty long and that the wrecks break up the monotony of the race!

Also, I have heard about the tailgate parties :cheers: and that most of the fans are so ripped off their ***** they cannot remember the race until someone tells them the next day who won! So, I guess in their cases, the wrecks wouldn't increase their Nascar experience!
    ~Cindy

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Originally posted by stephanie
    Awww Cindy!! No I would NOT be the star. No one would really be interested in seeing me I am sure. LOL!! One of these days though it will grace America's tv....and I will be on my way to the bank. Ok ok I will wake up now!!Steph
    You are most welcome Steph!:D

You must let us know when it airs so we can say we knew her when she was only a lowly "Master Optiboarder"!
    ~Cindy

Bad address email on file

Redhot Jumper NASCAR? I don't get it.

I just don't see why anyone would want to watch cars go round and round in a circle if not for the crashes. Not that I care whatever someone finds entertaining is Ok with me. It must be how John feels about American Rugby.
    Tom
    Ps. I know there are millions of loyal fans that love it.
    Pss. I enjoy bowling si what do I know.:p

Thread Information