Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: More movie reviews...

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Question Place and time

There is a place and time for a love story but I only hope it doesn't overwhelm this film.

:D Jerry
    The mighty oak tree was once a little nut that held its ground

Bad address email on file OptiBoard Gold Supporter Sean's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Wave

I agree.
    I for one also think that George is trying to hard to capture the original concept of the first three(ie to many sub plots). He should just keep it as good vs evill. BTW.. if you have the Phantom Menace DVD you have access to the trailers online.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Pete Hanlin said:
    Recently purchased Tombstone on DVD... if you like Westerns, this one is pretty good (it should be anyway, it has Sam Elliot and a cameo by Charlton Heston). I would never have guessed that Val Kilmer would appear in a Western, but he was the best Doc Holiday I've ever seen. ("If you do, you're a daisy!" What a line.)
    Great movie.....One of my favorite lines,"So are you going to do something?........or are you just going to stand there and bleed?"

sub specie aeternitatis Pete Hanlin's Avatar
    Occupation
    Lens Manufacturer
    I saw the trailer for the next Star Wars (put me down as another one disappointed with Phantom Menace), and I think there were about a dozen scenes of romance for every fight scene! Completely unacceptable! Come on, the series is called Star Wars, not Star Crossed!
    :angry:
    I have yet to see Lord of the Rings. Looks like I better get out to see it soon or I'll be watching it on the small screen in my living room instead of in a theatre (some movies just have to be seen on the big screen).
    Pete Hanlin, ABOM
    Vice President Professional Services
    Essilor of America

http://linkedin.com/in/pete-hanlin-72a3a74

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Pete Hanlin said:
    I saw the trailer for the next Star Wars (put me down as another one disappointed with Phantom Menace), and I think there were about a dozen scenes of romance for every fight scene! Completely unacceptable! Come on, the series is called Star Wars, not Star Crossed!
    :angry:
    I was not going to go there...but since you brought it up...Your absolutely right! It's not called Star Gaze......Starry Eye's.....Star Struck or Starry Starry Night for that matter.:angry:

Bad address email on file

Lord of the Rings

I saw Lord of the Rings and while it was easy to be impressed with the set and some of the scenery, I found the movie itself to be somewhat lacking. The end itself after three hours of watching was very disapointing.
    I saw John Q and thought that was pretty good.
    Tom

Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    With LOTR you have to realize that it follows the three books very closely - in fact, remarkably so! The first movie ended exactly where the first book ended. The second movie will be released in November and the third a year after that.

OptiBoard Administrator
    ----
    OptiBoard has been proudly serving the Eyecare Community since 1995.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    gebe33,
    That's why i have not gone out and seen it yet. For the most part everyone is 50/50 on this movie. They either loved/liked it or they were dissapointed by the ending. Should i just wait for the DVD?

Occupation
    Actually everyone I've spoken to that has read the books has loved the movie. It's truly faithful to Tolkien's vision. However I can understand why some people who haven't read the books wouldn't like it.

OptiBoard Administrator
    ----

Occupation
    Lens Manufacturer
    My brother read all the books and loved the "LOTR" movie! I've read none of them- Steve, would you suggest I read the book before I watch the movie? For example, I would definitely recommend reading the first Harry Potter book before viewing the movie!

I just watched a TV film with Paul Newman called "Fat Boy." It covered the progress of Dr. Oppenheimer's team as they created the atomic bomb , and was extremely interesting if somewhat lacklustery in the acting department.

If you are in the mood for comedy, we watched Deuce Bigalow - Male Giggolo last evening- hilarious!
    :D
    Pete Hanlin, ABOM
    Essilor of America

Occupation
    I think you'd probably get more enjoyment out of LOTR if you read the books first. However I also think it a stands as an excellent movie in it's own right - just as long as you understand it's the first of three and does not resolve the story line at the end of movie one.

My wife actually loved the movie and didn't even read the books. I think this is the first fantasy type movie she's ever liked.

OptiBoard Administrator
    ----

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Pete Hanlin said:If you are in the mood for comedy, we watched Deuce Bigalow - Male Giggolo last evening- hilarious!
    :D
    He sure did have a way with fish tank's. :) Both in and out of the pet store.:drop:

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Steve Machol said:just as long as you understand it's the first of three and does not resolve the story line at the end of movie one.
    Then i guess i'll give it a shot then.:)I was not aware the movie held so true to the book's. :shiner: From what i thought (or thought i heard) Was that the movie ran close to the book. But the movie maker's wrecked it in the end. No one ever said that it ended the way it was supposed to end(according to the book that is).

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Question Panic Room

Has any one seen the trailers for this yet? Jodie Foster seem's to be at it again. Although im not her biggest fan,this looks to be pretty good.I must admit that i could take or leave the movie "Contact".But she was really good in "Silence Of The Lambs" Any thought's?

Master OptiBoarder Cindy Hamlin's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Pete Hanlin said:
    If you are in the mood for comedy, we watched Deuce Bigalow - Male Giggolo last evening- hilarious!

Pete,

I thought this movie was hillarious, too! Every now and then I love a really good stupid movie. I loved the date with the narcoleptic (sp?) girl!
    ~Cindy

"If you can't be a good example, then you'll just have to be a horrible warning." -Catherine Aird-

Occupation
    Lens Manufacturer
    Sean said:
    Jodie Foster seem's to be at it again.
    Although im not her biggest fan,this looks to be pretty good.I must admit that I could take or leave the movie "Contact". But she was really good in "Silence Of The Lambs" Any thought's?

I have some thoughts... Although I'm not as big a fan as John Hinkley (the guy who shot Ronald Reagan in an attempt to impress Ms. Foster), I think she's pretty good in most of her films (Contact was one of her weaker efforts, but Maverick was really good and of course Silence)! I'll have to wait and see what kind of reviews Panic Room get before I go watch it...

Cindy said:
    I loved the date with the narcoleptic (sp?) girl!
    I liked the Turret's Syndrome girl (and thought his solution- taking her to a ballgame- was really funny). I thought the end was pretty well done too.
    Pete Hanlin, ABOM
    Essilor of America

Master OptiBoarder Cindy Hamlin's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I liked the Turret's Syndrome girl (and thought his solution- taking her to a ballgame- was really funny). I thought the end was pretty well done too.

I, too, agree that was the best option for him!

Another good funny movie was "Liar, Liar" with Jim Carey. I loved the scene with the receptionist and the rooster hair that asked if he liked her outfit. "Yes, because it takes the attention away from your hair!" I laughed and wished I could have that excuse to say what I really felt when friends asked me that question!
    ~Cindy

"If you can't be a good example, then you'll just have to be a horrible warning." -Catherine Aird-

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Gold Supporter Judy Canty's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    We finally went to see Black Hawk Down this weekend. My husband is a retired Naval Aviator and a helo driver to boot. Rarely have I been to a movie where the content was so intense that there was no audience noise...no popcorn...no chips...no drink slurping. No talking, even when we were leaving the theatre. My husband's only comment, "Finally a film that accurately demonstrates why soldiers do what they do..."
    If you haven't seen it, I strongly recommend you do. The comparisons to the recent events in the mountains in Afghanistan are uncanny.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Pete Hanlin said:I'll have to wait and see what kind of reviews Panic Room get before I go watch it...
    Pete,
    Looks like i'll wait for the review too.I've seen the trailer a couple of times and it looks really good.But as you know the movie people tend to put the best parts of the film in the trailers. But on a different note i'm going to go and see Ice Age no matter what kind of review it get's.It looks to be straight out funny.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Thumbs up Time Machine

I saw Time Machine yesterday. It was pretty good. Sure makes you think about the human race.

:cheers: Jerry

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Thumbs up Sean

The news had another trailer for the new Star Wars movie. It looks really good. A lot of action and a lot of loose ends to the storyline is brought together.

Bad address email on file John R's Avatar
    Occupation
    Consumer or Non-Eyecare field

Thumbs down A brit late for a change....

Steve Machol said:
    Shrek was great, but I think Pixar one-upped them with Monsters, Inc.
    Having just been and seen Monsters Inc, I felt that it was no where near as good as toy story let alone shrek.. Sure it looks more life like but the story line seemed to leave me dead. But shrek was magic, great intertwining of fairy tales and the voices just made the film...I think shrek was more aimed at the parents than the kids, but there again arn't they all.....
    Maybe what pixar realy need to do is get some good voices for their films.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Re: Sean

MVEYES said:
    The news had another trailer for the new Star Wars movie. It looks really good. A lot of action and a lot of loose ends to the storyline is brought together.

Jerry, saw it! :D There does seem to be plenty of action........but there is plenty of loose ends to tie up, along with the start of a love story.Did they say on the news what the running time for the movie was?

Occupation
    Lens Manufacturer
    Last night, Crouching Tiger, Hidden Bear (or whatever the thing was called) was on one of our movie channels... I thought "Hey, didn't that win like four awards? Must be pretty good!"

Halfway through the movie, I finally decided I couldn't care less if the girl got her comb back and finally clicked off the set and went to sleep. Did ANYONE actually understand that movie?
    (Heck, did anyone actually watch it the whole way to the end)? About the only other movie I've ever (partially) seen that was more tedious was The English Patient. Guess I just don't "get" movies that win lots of awards... I must not have the intellectual prowess of some of the Oscar judges! That's scary!
    Pete Hanlin, ABOM
    Essilor of America

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Pete,
    I watched it just for the special effect's and the martial art's(Now your not going to tell me that those weren't ok are you?) But as for a story line they should of called it Crouching Tiger.....Hidden Boredom.

Thread Information