Thread: how do I convince this customer that I gave him 1.74 index ...

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Optical Retail

how do I convince this customer that I gave him 1.74 index ...

i get these type of problems from time to time ...
    customer orders a super hi-index lens like 1.74, pays a bunch of money, and when he picks it up, he compares it to his current lens (which he said is 1.67) and says "there's no difference!"

and then I tell him that his new frame has a wider lens and the reduction in thickness from going to 1.74 had been negated by the wider lens, and then show him the chart showing how the lens thickens out at the ends for wider lens etc etc ...

and then he says "how do I know you gave me 1.74 and not some cheaper lower-index" ?

i get this from time to time ... any ideas what to do with such a customer ?
    Thanks!

Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    Please do not post multiple posts with the same content again. I am removing your other posts.

OptiBoard Administrator
    ----
    OptiBoard has been proudly serving the Eyecare Community since 1995.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Maybe a bit too technical for your client, but if he's the engineer type :
    If Rx is the same, use a lens clock and show him that difference of diopters is not the same between his old and new lenses.

Anf if he is really an engineer, calculate it using the formula for it, which I don't remember right now:bbg::bbg::bbg:
    Someone ?

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by senocs View Post
    i get these type of problems from time to time ...
    customer orders a super hi-index lens like 1.74, pays a bunch of money, and when he picks it up, he compares it to his current lens (which he said is 1.67) and says "there's no difference!"

and then I tell him that his new frame has a wider lens and the reduction in thickness from going to 1.74 had been negated by the wider lens, and then show him the chart showing how the lens thickens out at the ends for wider lens etc etc ...

and then he says "how do I know you gave me 1.74 and not some cheaper lower-index" ?

i get this from time to time ... any ideas what to do with such a customer ?
    Thanks!

Outside of thier reciept reflecting the purchase +/or copy of lab invoice (white out any wholesale prices of course).....and they still question you... when you find the magic words let me know..

I esp. like it at dispense when a pt. says: "Is that the FRAME I picked out...i dont think it is."...............stressful, just plain stressful.:hammer:

Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Machol View Post
    Please do not post multiple posts with the same content again. I am removing your other posts.
    sorry ... it kept giving me a DNS server error when I tried posting so I hit the back button and tried again ...

Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    Quote Originally Posted by Comma View Post
    Maybe a bit too technical for your client, but if he's the engineer type :
    If Rx is the same, use a lens clock and show him that difference of diopters is not the same between his old and new lenses.

Anf if he is really an engineer, calculate it using the formula for it, which I don't remember right now:bbg::bbg::bbg:
    Someone ?
    The calculations you would need to do would be to clock both sides then convert them to radius from their 1.53 tool index, then convert them back to diopters in the materials index, then add them together for the power and even then this won't work because to my knowledge all the 1.74 available is going to be aspheric. Now if you knew for sure what the index was and the back curve and power you can compute the front surface curve and aspheric value using a lens clock but that's another thread altogether.
    1st* HTML5 Tracer Software
    1st Mac Compatible Tracer Software
    1st Linux Compatible Tracer Software

*Dave at OptiVision has a web based tracer integration package that's awesome.

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Gold Supporter DragonLensmanWV's Avatar
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Take them out of the frame and drop them on the table. Listen to the clattery ping and say, "Yep, that's 1.74! I can tell by the sound!"

What?
    DragonlensmanWV N.A.O.L.
    "There is nothing patriotic about hating your government or pretending you can hate your government but love your country."

Banned
    Only City in the World built over a Volcano
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    "If you don't trust me, what the H*ell did you come in here for?"

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Blue Jumper

Quote Originally Posted by chip anderson View Post
    touche monsieur pussycat ---touche!!!!!!!!!!!

Optician Extraordinaire
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by senocs View Post

You tell them this upfront before you make the glasses. People expect 1.74 to be thinner and if you know it isn't because of the frame choice you need to tell them before hand.

There is a very handy guide that allows you to calculate edge thickness for different lenses at www.opticampus.com

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by humbleABOCtx View Post
    Outside of thier reciept reflecting the purchase +/or copy of lab invoice (white out any wholesale prices of course).....and they still question you... when you find the magic words let me know..

I esp. like it at dispense when a pt. says: "Is that the FRAME I picked out...i dont think it is."...............stressful, just plain stressful.:hammer:
    That is my favorite one!!!!!!! I sell right off the board and when someone says this to me it's hard not to laugh. I had a guy be extremely rude with me and said I know I didn't pick these frames out, to which I responded, I don't make it a habit to select frames for you after you leave sir. Oh well!

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Happylady View Post
    There is a very handy guide that allows you to calculate edge thickness for different lenses at www.opticampus.com
    Happylady this is a great site! Thanks!

Manuf. Lens Surface Treatments
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor

Redhot Jumper let em have some of the designer 1.74 smell

Quote Originally Posted by DragonLensmanWV View Post
    Take them out of the frame and drop them on the table. Listen to the clattery ping and say, "Yep, that's 1.74! I can tell by the sound!"
    What?
    Put them on the edger and let em have some of the designer 1.74 smell

OptiBoardaholic
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Just show him the invoice for the lenses with the price blacked out.

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Optical Laboratory Technician
    Snells Law

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Optical Laboratory Technician

Yep...

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Nelson View Post
    Just show him the invoice for the lenses with the price blacked out.
    I agree. Also, next time you make(or have a pair made) in 1.74 remember this problem and insist the lab send you the box tops from the lenses. The box tops, along with the blacked out invoice should be enough. If not and the lenses are pretty close maybe he didn't need it??! ;)

Bad address email on file k12311997's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    baseball bat and a large italoamerican:D

OptiWizard
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

g

gli occhiali sono pronti mf!! Say hello to Vito. I did have a customer who insisted on 1.70 index -0.50 spheres. I refused and he purchased them online, brought them to me for adjustments and wondered why he wasn't comfy. They were Hoya 1.7 with super hi Vision, more wavy than a tsunami. I called the offending online retailer and he laughed and cried. Told me the client insisted, so he ordered them final sale no refund! but gave him a refund anyway, had Hoya surface the suckers getting warned each step of the way not to do it. He finally went to the market to buy some catsup because he ate a very expensive pr of ;lenses
    Money carefully refunded

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    well

I save the lens packages my stock lenses come in..... it says 1.74 on it.:hammer:

Banned
    Only City in the World built over a Volcano
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I haven't looked but I suspect that there is an "invisible" mark on the lens, if so, find it and drive the customer nuts trying to see it.

Chip

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    The lens envelope will have the power and refractivei index on it, but not the price. It would serve as the best proof. Some labs staple these to every order so they are often available. Also the lab internal order sheet (not the invoice) will have the same info, it won't have the price.

I have also marked the center of each lens on each pair. Measured out along the perscribed axis (assuming its changed slightly) a precise distance like 25-30mm, and used calipers to prove that at the same distance and the same RX from center the 1.74 is thinner than the 1.67.

Please note however that a radically aspheric 1.67 can be almost as this as a 1.74. Not all lens manufactures design their aspherics for best vision, some do so for maximum thinness. There is no standard for the aspheric rate used. Some use a higher ashericity than others. Different aspheric design will still be optimized in each base curve for only one RX.

Sharpstick

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by chip anderson View Post
    I agree. When people are difficult and I know they will be never happy I try to politely tell them that I am doing the best that I can and this is the best service/product I can provide. Most people will ask for a refund and just leave. Personally, I think that it is better then remaking the lenses over and over again and then giving a refund.

Thread Information