Thread: Happy Thanksgiving

sub specie aeternitatis Pete Hanlin's Avatar
    Occupation
    Lens Manufacturer

Happy Thanksgiving

Before I start the cliche-esk list of things we have to be thankful for this season, I thought I'd give a real short history of what Thanksgiving is for our non-US resident OptiBoarders.

Thanksgiving was originally celebrated in December (I believe it was 13 December) by the Pilgrims at Plymouth Rock in the mid 1600's. Over 1/2 of their number had died in the previous winter, yet they were still thankful for the provisions they had for the winter to come. Through the seventeenth century, other "New World" communities started celebrating Thanksgiving as well.

After America gained independance, George Washington suggested a day in November as a day of "Universal Thanks" to God for His goodness to the young nation (that was in the 1790's)... however, it wasn't until November of 1863 (in the midst of the Civil War) that Abraham Lincoln proclaimed the 4th Thursday in November as a day of "National Thanksgiving" (seemed 'ole Abe was into making proclamations)- and it has been celebrated on that day ever since.

Well, having said all that, I suppose what I'm most thankful for this year is friendships! When life is full of change, it is of great comfort to have people who listen without judging, suggest without dictating, and comfort without reservation! No man is an island, and it is encouraging to see mankind come together during personal (or this year, national) crisis!

Thanksgiving has always been my favorite day of the year. Its a day when we are less caught up in the "give and take" that Christmas has become and more wrapped up in the relationships we have with family, friends, and God.

Happy Thanksgiving! Enjoy your turkey, and take a moment to thank whomever you feel thankful to for another year!
    Pete Hanlin, ABOM
    Vice President Professional Services
    Essilor of America

http://linkedin.com/in/pete-hanlin-72a3a74

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    OK, Pete, you started this and I don't want to miss out on this. I'm thankful first of all for my family, husband, children, grandchildren and daughter-in-law and son-in-law. Also for my parents, siblings other in-in-laws and numerous nieces and nephews. As we just buried one of my sisters-in-law, just Wednesday, I am thankful that for the most part the bulk of the rest of my family is in pretty good health.

Pete, you're right that Thanksgiving is a time for being thankful, and it's better than Christmas because of the "getting caught up in all of the trappings of commercial Christmas". Even though I don't really like to watch too much football on TV, it's comforting (and for that, I'm thankful) to be there with my family and being able to watch it.

I'm also thankful for friends, and living in a free country. Ya'll have a very Happy Thanksgiving.

Diane:bbg:
    Anything worth doing is worth doing well.

Occupation
    Consumer or Non-Eyecare field
    Im thankful for my two AWESOME kids, my best friend Pete,music, and freedom.

Bad address email on file

Big Smile

I'm thankful for life, liberity, and the pursuit of happiness and my love ones to share it with.

Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    Thanksgiving has been a favorite holiday since it is the kickoff toward a different pace in lifestyle. Days are shorter, business slows down, weather conditions are uncertain, etc. A great time to sit back and "smell the roses" by being able to spend some quality time with the ones I love and realize how fortunate we are. Specifically, I am thankful for my family of two little girls and a wife who continues to be there for me through thick and thin.

Thanksgiving also marks the onset of another Pennsylvania holiday which is the opening of our whitetail deer season. This is always the Monday following Thanksgiving and continues two and a half weeks and then another two weeks for the traditional muzzleloader season after Christmas.

I believe our fellow optiboarder Pete himself has photos somewhere on the board of a successful deerhunt here in PA.

Happy Thanksgiving to all,
    PAkev

sub specie aeternitatis Pete Hanlin's Avatar
    Occupation
    Lens Manufacturer

Well, since you brought it up...

PAKev,

Well, I won't be getting up to Pennsylvania this year, so I'll have to bask in the glow of last year's hunt...
    Pete and Deer Friend!

Happy Hunting!
    Pete Hanlin, ABOM
    Vice President Professional Services
    Essilor of America

http://linkedin.com/in/pete-hanlin-72a3a74

OptiWizard
    Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    The Thanksgiving with the Pilgrims and "friendly" natives was celebrated in 1621 up in hj's territory. Arguably, the first English Thanksgiving was actually celebrated in 1619 in Judy's state, along the James River at, I believe, Berkeley Plantation, also the site of Revolutionary and Civil War battles (and one of our patriotic songs was written there whose name I can't recall at this time). Unfortunately, the natives in VA weren't as friendly then (has that changed?) and the first English settlement in the U.S. didn't last.

Just think tho, if it had, our Thanksgiving table would be loaded with ham hocks, black eyed peas and that horrible corn porridge southerners eat with every meal.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Crier

Now we know who orphaned poor Bambi.........

Bad address email on file John R's Avatar
    Occupation
    Consumer or Non-Eyecare field

Crier Ahhhh

Thanks for the history leason Pete...
    But it seems to me its was just another excuse to have another day off work to me......:cheers:

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Gold Supporter Judy Canty's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Actually, Jamestown fared slightly better than Virginia Dare's bunch on Roanoke Island in NC. They disappeared without a trace.

Is corn porridge the same thing as grits? If it is, we pretty much leave that for breakfast, unless you're from the Low Country of SC, where shrimp and grits are served whenever you want them. However, I prefer my Smithfield ham, peanut soup and candied yams at Thanksgiving, along with the capon, stuffing and pecan pie. Black-eyed peas are for luck at New Years.

The natives here are far more friendly that they used to be. Those "sailors and dogs keep off the grass" signs disappeared decades ago. :D

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    A Happy Thanksgiving to all...........especially to all Terps fans.

Kev....I'll be out there heading for my tree stand at 4:00 am Monday moring..........

Cape Codger OptiBoard Gold Supporter hcjilson's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Thangsgiving Greetings from Cape Cod!

Best wishes to you all! I had this long poetic thing I was trying to compose after reading Petes opening to this thread.Nothing I could think of added anything to his eloquence so if you want to get my thoughts, go back and read the first post from Pete, the last sentence in particular. Then you will know why I say Thank You to all of you who read this!

Best from the place where the Pilgrims landed first but found the real estate too expensive....even in those days!
    Harry J
    "Always laugh when you can. It is a cheap medicine"
    Lord Byron

Take a photo tour of Cape Cod and the Islands!
    www.capecodphotoalbum.com

Bad address email on file optigoddess's Avatar
    I'm just passing this on to you all....it certainly helped me chuckle ! Happy Thanksgiving to all -

'Twas the night of Thanksgiving, but I just couldn't sleep.
    I tried counting backward, I tried counting sheep.

The leftovers beckoned - the dark meat and white,
    But I fought the temptation with all of my might!

Tossing & turning with anticipation,
    The thought of a snack became infatuation.

So, I raced to the kitchen, flung open the door
    And gazed at the fridge, full of goodies galore.

I gobbled up turkey & buttered potatoes,
    Pickles & carrots, beans & tomatoes.

I felt myself swelling so plump & so round,
    'Til all of a sudden, I rose off the ground !

I crashed through the ceiling, floating into the sky
    With a mouthful of pudding & a handful of pie.

But I managed to yell as I soared past the trees...
    Happy eating to all - Pass the cranberries, please !

May your stuffing be tasty, May your turkey be plump,
    May your potatoes 'n gravy have nary a lump.

May your yams be delicious, may your pies take the prize,
    May your Thanksgiving dinner stay OFF of your thighs !

May your Thanksgiving be blessed !

Karen :) :cheers:

Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    Happy Thanksgiving Everyone!! I'm still fighting off the flu but I just wanted to wish everyone a great day.

And no giblets for me - thank you very much!

OptiBoard Administrator
    ----
    OptiBoard has been proudly serving the Eyecare Community since 1995.

Thread Information