View Poll Results: Which statement describes your view of the "morning?"

Voters
29. You may not vote on this poll
  • You are correct, Pete- mornings are vile and should be avoided at almost any cost

12 41.38%
  • I don't have the passion against mornings that you obviously do, but they aren't my favorite time of day either

2 6.90%
  • Well, mornings aren't so bad... its nice to wake up to a new day and feel alive

7 24.14%
  • Oh, mornings are glorious events, the birds are singing, the dew is glistening... yada yada yada

8 27.59%

Thread: Are you a "morning person?"

sub specie aeternitatis Pete Hanlin's Avatar
    Occupation
    Lens Manufacturer

Are you a "morning person?"

For one reason or another, it has been necessary for me to awaken at or before 7am the past few days...

This unfortunate series of days has served to make clear what I have always suspected- namely, that a morning is the most vile, despicable, ungracious thing to which any mortal can be subjected!

I am, however, curious as to whether this indisputable fact is recognized by all creation- or by me alone. Therefore, I offer you the opportunity to sing the praises- or decry the unfairness- of the early morning!

As for me, suffice it to say that if I had been Francis Scott Key, our national anthem would begin "Oh say can you see, by the sun's noontime glare..."

Pete
    Pete Hanlin, ABOM
    Vice President Professional Services
    Essilor of America

http://linkedin.com/in/pete-hanlin-72a3a74

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Gold Supporter Judy Canty's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Begining in 1987, one child or another had to be off for the school bus before 6:50 AM. Mornings are just something you learn to love. In fact, I find that I am least productive in the afternoon...

OptiBoard Novice
    I am not a morning person myself... I attended the CEC that Pete just recently did in Ohio and he seemed chipper enough to me... Thank goodness for coffee and Mt. Dew. It gets me through the morning:D

Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    I've always been a morning person myself. My wife however is in the 'Mornings are vile, despicable' camp.

It's a mixed marriage, but it works! ;)

OptiBoard Administrator
    ----
    OptiBoard has been proudly serving the Eyecare Community since 1995.

Bad address email on file

I feel compelled to warn Pete.......

Very timely, Pete, since you will be sharing space with us later this week. A certain wife of mine wakes very early, HOWEVER:( Do not under any circumstance attempt a coherent conversation with her until a minimum of two pots of coffee and three hours have passed!

Occupation
    Lens Manufacturer
    Thank goodness for coffee and Mt. Dew. It gets me through the morning!
    Actually, I consumed three Mountain Dews yesterday morning (unfortuately I've never been able to develop a taste for coffee)! The only soda that's better at keeping you awake is Jolt (whose logo is "All the sugar and twice the caffiene!").

BTW, welcome to OptiBoard, and the Opticians Association of Ohio meeting was one of the nicest run programs I've seen!

Now, if Delta Airlines could just manage to run their affairs as efficiently (just a hint to any Delta folks that might be lurking on OptiBoard... if you are delaying a flight, don't announce that the plane is "broke" but that you are trying to figure out what is wrong with it!).

Pete "Thank God for Snooze Buttons" Hanlin
    Pete Hanlin, ABOM
    Essilor of America

Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field

Do not listen to this Bacchus man

I am a delightful person at all times of day and night! On the other hand, he is the world's most obnoxious morning person and probably voted for loving mornings. I know this because I have spent decades listening to "rise and shine, a wonderful day is wasting" at six am on weekends and much earlier on weekdays! The bozo wakes fully functional with hair still combed and no morning breath. It's not natural, I tell ya, not natural!

OptiBoard Novice

Still figuring this out

:hammer: Still trying to figure all this stuff out. There are so many things that you can go into and wonderful information. I am currently not working in the field as I am a domestic engineer for the time being. I am desperate to keep up on the technology and changing times. It's 1:00 Ohio time and I am now at the end of my morning blues..:p
    Take care, Shannon not the morning person Corbin.

Occupation
    Lens Manufacturer
    I am a delightful person at all times of day and night!
    I can see it now... the three of us yearning to show how wonderously tolerable we each are in the morning! I am generally able to be on my "best behaviour" when I'm around other people in the morning.

However, leave me to myself and I creak and groan first thing in the morning. I don't know about any of you, but I find the morning to be painful (suppose those years behind the plate are catching up to me)! Generally, by 11am or so, the world seems quite right again.

Naturally, the best time of day is from about 5pm to 1am! I'm awake, alive, and coherent (well, to varying degrees depending on my surroundings and beverage of choice for the evening!).

;) Pete
    PS- I am distressed to find that 2/3 of us so far seem to somewhat enjoy the morning! This has to be a polling error, and I reserve the right (as a citizen of the Great State of Florida) to conduct recounts till the evilness of morning is sufficiently demonstrated statistically!).
    Pete Hanlin, ABOM
    Essilor of America

Master OptiBoarder Cindy Hamlin's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Originally posted by Pete Hanlin

Actually, I consumed three Mountain Dews yesterday morning (unfortuately I've never been able to develop a taste for coffee)! The only soda that's better at keeping you awake is Jolt (whose logo is "All the sugar and twice the caffiene!").
    Pete,
    Have you tried Surge? I understand it has been known to jump start cadavers!

~Cindy

Cape Codger OptiBoard Gold Supporter hcjilson's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

You'd be surprised at what jet lag can do....

Pete,
    You'd be surprised at what jet lag can do to your morning schedule.I'm an early riser, usually about 5:45 AM.Since my return from Ireland its been about 4 AM.Not to worry however, Blanket street comes at about 9:30 PM so all is not lost.Sure could use an afternoon nap though!
    hj
    "Always laugh when you can. It is a cheap medicine"
    Lord Byron

Take a photo tour of Cape Cod and the Islands!
    www.capecodphotoalbum.com

Bad address email on file stephanie's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Unhappy

I am not a morning person however I have to get up now at 5:30am. YUK!! I would fair much better if the doc came in at oh let say 1pm-9pm!! Oh yea if my husband didn't work first shift I would definately rather have a job that I never had to see the light of day!! Well at least not THAT early. A few years ago I worked in a restaurant and I'll never forget when my boss hired me hearing her say you will have to be in at 6:00 and I replied "o'clock in the morning" Have mercy!! Those were the most miserable years of my life. You would think after working there 4 years I would've become used to it!! NOT!! I was just as miserable as the day I started. You would also think that my body would get used to it and just wake up...I don't think so. God if it weren't for my mom calling me first thing in the morning I don't think I would ever make it to work...see I turn the alarm off and go back to sleep:drop: And yet I am STILL the first one in the office in the morning and still the most chipper. Believe me that is not saying much. Oh and of course we have those pts who have been sitting waiting in the parking lot for their app'ts since the crack of dawn. Do these people have nothing better to do than come in for an exam??? What is the matter with them??? And these are always the same people who come in singing "GOOD MORNING" UGH UGH!!!! ERRRRR..... Of course I will always snap out of my crappy mood and sing back to them but in my mind I am cursing!! Yea Pete I agree I hate morning. My husband gets up at 3:00 am to go to work and he even does this on the weekends. I hate going on vacation with him because he wants to get up and sneak the tv on or something annoying like that. Oh gee Steph I didn't mean to wake you...go back to sleep (yea right) Ok now that I am up I am going to be more miserable than ever. Yep I couldn't agree with you more mornings stink!!!

Steph

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Mornings are the pits. There's nothing I hate worse than a chipper morning person!! After six years in the military listenening to that bugle sound at the ungodly hour of 5 a.m I am still NOT a morning person. Mornings should be outlawed! I usually can't get a decent thought till atleast 1 p.m. Thank god for any kind of caffeine.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Slept late this morning

"Oh, What a beautiful morning! Oh, What a wonderful day!" Can't you just hear the lyrics?

It was 6:45 am. What a waste of a beautiful morning. I've done my morning stuff, and need to go get ready for work.

Somehow, I still need to work late, but the mornings are the best.

Diane
    Anything worth doing is worth doing well.

OptiBoard Apprentice
    I am a morning person. It is a time I get to spend with my 16 month old daughter, a time of preparation and meditation. And , sometimes a day to return to work to see what could have happened on my day off..

Bad address email on file stephanie's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Big Smile

Somehow I knew you were a morning person, Diane!! I don't know why I just knew!! LOL!! I slept late today too!! 9:00am...would much rather pass up getting the day started for sleep. I used to feel guilty about it until an episode of Seinfeld...It was the one where Kramer was trying to figure out how to take a shower faster and then realized he didn't want to get out of the shower. That is pretty much how I feel. Especially here. There isn't anything where I live to do anyway so why bother...I would rather be in bed anyway. I clean my house all through the week, I have most of my bills on bank draft... I don't really need to get up to do anything except work.

Steph

Bad address email on file John R's Avatar
    Occupation
    Consumer or Non-Eyecare field

Confused GET UP, GET UP, YOU LAZY BONES.......

Ah the joy of the birds singing, the sun rising over the hill (if its not raining) and best of all the thought that if you act like morning are great it really pisses of a lot of other folks off. The joy i get from bursting into a room with a joyous GOOD MORNING and everybody looks up and grunts uhhh what good about it.....
    When in fact i'm not bothered which way it goes..
    But i have come to learn that there is no point stewing in your pit, get up and dont waste the time we have to do nothin........

btw..... I have heard that coffee prices are down over 80% on last year, yet i have still to see the coffee in shops or supermarkets get any cheaper..... rip off or what............

Cape Codger OptiBoard Gold Supporter hcjilson's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

John its the old value added trick..

John, its the old value added trick! Every time some one in the chain (bush to market) touches the coffee,something gets added to the cost.If memory serves, the same thing happens in the optical business!:D :D Thats why you see mfg's going direct.they don't charge any less for the product, but they have elimiated the middle person which increases their bottom line.
    Back to coffee!The wholesale price drop of coffee won't be affected in the marketplace until the supply of the higher priced stuff is depleted.If the price continues to stay low you will see a retail drop in price about 4 months later.The premium coffee marketers however will not drop their price (prediction based on past history), so don't expect Starbucks to be selling "Summatra" for anything less than you are now paying.EXCELLENT coffee by the way, second only to Bel Forno's (Berkley CA) blend.What kind of coffee do you get over there?

Penny for the Guy???

I didn't want you to think that I was taking time off from my studies.best from harry
    "Always laugh when you can. It is a cheap medicine"
    Lord Byron

Take a photo tour of Cape Cod and the Islands!
    www.capecodphotoalbum.com

Bad address email on file John R's Avatar
    Occupation
    Consumer or Non-Eyecare field

Crier freebies

Well if you are state side you can get a fre sample of Coffee here

Harry little test tell me more about "Bob a Job Week"

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    as long as have a dark pair of shades, I can usually crawl out of my casket after dawn......
    but, as my own personal hero, Mayor Marion S. Barry,Jr. use to say.......just call me Mayor NightOwwwwwwwl.

Bad address email on file
    I am definately a morning person. I get up at 4:50 A.M. to begin work at 7:00 A.M. I need to time for coffee and music. I love the 7 to 4 shift, and could easily be swayed to go for a 6 to 3 if it was only available. I used to work a job that required waking at 2:00 A.M. That was a drag because I had to go to bed by 9:00 P.M. I missed a lot of the social life.

Thread Information