Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• To my fellow Optiboarders

Greeting to Everyone:

I know there are many of you out there that feel a sense of belonging with the OptiBoard, as I do. We certainly poked fun at ourselves in the OptiBoard Anonymous thread not long ago. So it was with some shock that I discovered that we only raised $106 in donations during the OB shirt-buying spree. To be quite honest.... I was somewhat embarrassed. After all hoopla we spout here, I figured it would be closer to $500. Perhaps it was because of being attached to the shirts, and not all bought shirts. Frankly I don't know why, but I feel a soapbox chat coming on.

Steve has managed to keep this board alive and well, even in view of his current job position, and remaining caught somewhere between the Bay Area and Phoenix. Most of us in his circumstances would have probably dropped this dollar-sucking site from the get-go. Not Steve, throughout all of his own turmoil - he kept us happy!

Now is the time to reach out and help Steve. 62% of all the posts come from the top 25 Optiboarders (78% from the top 50). Collectively, we in the top 25 have posted over 13000 messages. Even though there are over 1000 members, and if each member gave a dollar a month all would be well - this ain't gonna happen. So I think it's up to us, those that use the board the most, to help support "our" place. So what you say gang? Others out there willing to help keep our OptiBoard alive without driving Steve into recession?

I'll start off with a pledge.... $100.00 in the mail to Steve just as soon as he sends me an address for the envelope. Others in?
    J. R. Smith

OH yes!
    Think of it this way...cheaper than going to the movies every week; safer than alcohol away from home....you don't have to get dressed up ('cept maybe in your Optiboard shirt!) to participate,...and we DO love Optiboard!

Sorry, I don't own a shop, and am the sole support of hubby and daughter, so $100 is a little beyond me at this time of year, but give us an address and I'll kick in another $30...
    With love!
    JP
    sigpic "The Good Lord gave us mountains so we could learn how to climb". ~ Lonestar

Comment

I'm in

Great idea, JR and Jenny P... thank you!

I'm in for $100.00

It is worth it in optical software alone (download area...Steve and Darryl's spread sheets and optical calculators)

Call me a goof, but I missed the part about the shirts being a fundraiser to offset OB costs!!!

Thanks for everything Steve!

Laurie Pierce

PS: ditto on posting your address please... : )
      Ophthalmic Optician, Society to Advance Opticianry

Comment

As one who thinks that we need something like this site to help out each other and to be able to pass around optical information (not including some of our debates on politics, which I think I am the "lone" Democrat on this board):-)
        As a "lab rat" I'll throw in a hundred fifty!!..that's right you tight wads!! $150!! Now if a lowly little lab rat can toss in a hundred fifty than some of you OD's and opticians who are up on the optical scale from me can match that or beat it!
        Oh I'm just joking, BUT I still mean it about the $150.. and hey I don't even need the shirt (unless I just have to have one sent to off set it) I know I can figure out some way to make it a write off. Possibly Steve it might be time to figure out some way we can give the money and you have some way of billing it as a professional fee than they can write it off on the taxes as well :-) Anything less than $600 and no 1099 or anything of that nature is required on the schedule C on your IRS forms.

Steve, if you have time and fax me the order form for shirts please do so and I'll order a few and than throw in the difference to make sure you get the $150.00 total..(1-800-528-8916) or if you want to keep the shirts to sell to someone else and want the check that works for me as well ...I'll figure some way to appease my accountant :-) ... I don't think it should become a "contest" of I gave this much.. as Jo stated not everybody is in a position to pop out a bigger check which should NOT really matter.. it's the thought that counts and plenty of smaller checks will add up quicker than a few larger ones... Like JRS said we few who post often can take up some of the slack from those who do not..Darris? Pete? :-) We are at $380 and counting...Hey I have a daughter due in two weeks (and counting) maybe I'll name her "optina" :-)

Jeff "got a $150 burning a hole in my pocket" Trail
        Last edited by Jeff Trail; 10-01-2001, 07:43 AM.

Comment

I'm in too!

......and actually there's more that can be done to help! Transitions' Sponsorship agreement is up in December and a decision is yet unmade on renewal. You can write Transitions and let them know that you appreciate their sponsorship and hope it continues. If you have a contact name or are a contact that might be interested in a sponsorship program with OptiBoard, you can write me as I'm working with Steve on the marketing of OptiBoard. And if you have business that can be referred to Steve do that too!

Thanks OptiBoarders and Thanks Steve!:D

Comment

I'm in for a hundred. Steve, if you'll fax or e-mail me an address I'll send post haste. Fax: (562) 981-6878.

Best regards,

Larry (actually, I'm usually quite accurate) Guess
            Optical Services West

Comment

Laurie & Steve,

Well Steve more so I guess.. do you have enough space available to "host" web sites like something along the lines of digital city? If so instead of "links" we could posts sites and Steve as the host and have spaces at the top of the page to take people to our sites just like Transitions has, but instead of some other host getting the cabbages it would go to Steve and the board? Shoot even Pete could maybe pick up a few web pages to design.. spread the wealth you might say.
              We would be under the "opti-board" listing .... I know a few of you wouldn't be interested but business like mine (wholesale) might :-) ..or people on this board offering services and such who do not have a site could be interested.
              How much is it to be a "sponsor" Laurie? I have a few connections I can contact that might be interested. You want one year, 6 months or what type of span in sponsorship? If they get propriatory sponsorship is it more?

Jeff "willing to do my bit" Trail

Comment

Thanks everyone for your kind words and offers of support. I've always been self-concsious about asking for donations and the truth is I still am.

What I want to do is to offer something extra to those members who wish to make a donation. Consequently I'm working on a 'Premier Member' program that will offer some value-added features. Give me a little bit longer to put this program into place.

Thanks again! :)

OptiBoard Administrator
                ----
                OptiBoard has been proudly serving the Eyecare Community since 1995.

Comment

but wait...the address!

Hi Steve,

And the address is.....

THANKS!

Laurie : )
                  Ophthalmic Optician, Society to Advance Opticianry

Comment

Steve,

It isn't too late is it? You aren't sitting infront of a lap top in a van down by the river already are you?

;)

Comment

Originally posted by Jo
                      Steve,

It isn't too late is it? You aren't sitting infront of a lap top in a van down by the river already are you?

;)
                      Not yet, but we do have a nice refrigerator box already picked out! It's a Sears Kenmore Dual-Door Model KX6230. It's nice and sturdy, and has room for 4 if everyone curls into little balls to maximize space usage! ;)

OptiBoard Administrator
                      ----
                      OptiBoard has been proudly serving the Eyecare Community since 1995.

Comment

Ever watch In Living Color? Now I am reminded of the guy who taped a couple of appliance boxes together in order to add an addition on to his refridgerator box.

Sorry, I have to take a serious turn on you guys. Both scenes remind me of a homeless fellow who lived in a local park, apparently also in a box. I had to give the guy credit for maintaining what was either a sense of pride or a sense of humor, perhaps both. We had one winter where we got somewhere around a foot of snow. The guy shoveled a path from his box about thirty feet into the park out to the sidewalk and made a snowman in his "front yard." I guess In Living Color wasn't too far off from the truth.

Comment

I think they still want the address, Steve.

Steve,
                          I have your address and will post it if you don't :D ...

As you can guess, my financial transactions are being watched a bit closely right now ;) , but when all is said and done, I'll be sending what I can as well! OptiBoard has been an invaluable resource to me professionally (and personally). You will never know all the ways in which OptiBoard has probably helped so many of us!

Now, give the nice people your address, Steve!

Pete
                          Pete Hanlin, ABOM
                          Vice President Professional Services
                          Essilor of America

http://linkedin.com/in/pete-hanlin-72a3a74

Comment

Re: I think they still want the address, Steve.

Originally posted by Pete Hanlin
                            Steve,
                            I have your address and will post it if you don't :D ...

As you can guess, my financial transactions are being watched a bit closely right now ;) , but when all is said and done, I'll be sending what I can as well! OptiBoard has been an invaluable resource to me professionally (and personally). You will never know all the ways in which OptiBoard has probably helped so many of us!

Now, give the nice people your address, Steve!

Pete
                            Steve may want a little personal privacy. Maybe there would be a way for him to e-mail it to us.
                            I'm in.
                            Diane
                            Anything worth doing is worth doing well.

Comment

Steve, I maybe a little out of line here, but in my view you owe us nothing. We owe you for the outstanding job you do bringing us this wonderous place to discuss optical and well as current events. You keep plugging away and we'll keep helping out - a deal?
                              J. R. Smith

Comment

Working...
                              X