Thread: BBC Film on Afganistan

Master OptiBoarder Joann Raytar's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Unhappy BBC Film on Afganistan

Last night there were two documentaries on TV. The Discovery Channel special and the CNN special. I only caught part of the Discovery Channel special but watched the one on CNN. The narrator was a woman from the UK who went to Afganistan, her father's homeland, to invesitgate the current ruling party. At times she went into areas undercover and at other times she interviewed folks openly as a foreigner. All in all it was a very sobering film.

The footage that made the biggest impact was the leader of the Taliban calling their execution yards a joyful place. It would appear that the international community donated a football (soccer) field to the Afgans to lift their spirits after the war with Russia. Instead, the Taliban took it over and turned it into a death camp. Goal posts were turned into gallows. Women were executed, shot throught the head, while lined up on the goal line. Meanwhile their executioners were literally whooping it up as if it were a rodeo show. When asked why they turned an entertainment center into an execution center the reply was: "Entertainment is to bring joy. The justice taken out on the football field also brings joy." When asked why they don't stop the reply was "the international community should donate a suitable execution ground, then soccer could be played in the stadium." Widows and their children are starved because they will be shot if they try to work. Women are not allowed to go to hospitals. Anything man made, buildings and gardens were destroyed. The list went on.

After watching the film, I feel deep sorrow for the Afgan people but an even stronger belief that the Taliban needs to be dismantled in whatever way possible.

Master OptiBoarder Cindy Hamlin's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Jo,
    The Discovery Channel show was put together by a friend of mine Bob Fahringer of Northern Virginia. His wife e-mailed me and told me to watch. He traditionally does a spectacular job.

He won an emmy award for a Nightline documentary on Nicholas Choucescu (sp?) the Romanian dictator. I actually got to touch it and hold it!

~Cindy

Bad address email on file John R's Avatar
    Occupation
    Consumer or Non-Eyecare field

Confused

Have not seen them over here yet..
    I dont know how the coverage of the disaster is now after a week in the states but its getting silly now here, after a week i thought things (tv wise) would be back to normal but no the tv co's are still putting on extra news progs on every night, but there is nothing new on them only a rehash of what we have already seen.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    John,

I am surprised that UK Television did not broadcast the State of the Union address to Congress last night seeing as Tony Blair was present for the speach.

Master OptiBoarder Cindy Hamlin's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    That is amazing, John! Our television stations have slowed down tremendously on the coverage. It is heartwarming to know the Brits care! President Bush said in his speech last night that Great Britian had lost thousands in the tragedy. Considering there are (at latest count) 6,333 still missing and presumed dead that means that the British casualties must be quite a substantial part!

I guess that is why Tony Blair came across the big pond to show his alliance! I am glad Britian is an ally! I remember Maggie and her war for the Falklands!

~Cindy

Occupation

Wave

Originally posted by Jo
    John,

I am surprised that UK Television did not broadcast the State of the Union address to Congress last night seeing as Tony Blair was present for the speach.
    They might have, i do not watch to much tv (i spend my time in front of the puter) Its my good lady who keeps moaning at me that her progs are not on.......
    Got plenty of coverage on the normal news though, (take a bow Tony)..

Yes bring back Maggie she will soon empty the rubbish out of terrisiom (bin laden translates nicely to full dustbin over here)

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    There was a programme on the BBC about 4 months ago called 'Behind The Veil', which was a documentary about the Taliban, and although I didn't see it, I pretty sure it's the one referred to above. They may have re-edited it in light of recent events, however. Anyway, the point I'm trying to make is that it's already been on here :)
    I'm not sure how well Tony Blair is coming across over here, with his almost constant television presence. The Conservative Party (who are the Republicans to TB's Democrats) have a new leader, Iain Duncan Smith, and he is coming across very well, whereas Tony is doing the old "New Labour, New Conflict" thing. Since this is all your fault, John, as you voted for the grinning idiot, what do you think? ;)

BTW, Mrs Thatcher STARTED the Falklands war, by firing on the Belgrano whilst it was in Argentinian waters, because she was up for re-election, and we all love a good war here. And why was the Belgrano there in the first place? We had promised to give the Falklands back to Argentina, but then we found oil there and changed our minds. You may note that we didn't dare pull that **** with China over Hong Kong :)

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Maria, "Behind the Veil" was the documentary I was referring to; thank you.

OptiBoard Novice

I too, have seen it

:( I too have seen that program, and it is just sad, the conditions that are going on there and in other places in the world...Makes me think about the human condition as a whole...But, I am going to do the only thing that I personally can do and that is go back in the U.S. Army. I was an Arabic translator for 12 years and got out while Clinton was in office. The paperwork is in process and my wife is mad, but I must look at myself in the mirror everyday... and it is the only choice that I could make and live with me.
    Respects, Daryl

Occupation

Redhot Jumper OH you ***** (lol)

Originally posted by Maria
    Since this is all your fault, John, as you voted for the grinning idiot, what do you think? ;)

Yes i voted for the grinning idiot as he (well the gov) is putting more money in my pocket than the others said they would.
    What do i think of him :D to tell the truth he comes across as a smug **** licker (will that get through :D) personaly i cant stand the guy, at present he is so far up Bushes behind its a wonder if any of him is showing.....
    Yes i know we have to back America in its hour of need but does Blair have to run around doing all the dirty work.. Do we see the french or germans running from country to country trying to gain support for action NO as there is no need the whole FREE world is behind you after what happened.

Lets face it does america want to see bin laden stand trial in america for what has happened, I would say NO as that would cost more than rebuilding the twin towers... and nodob't some 2 bit lawer (maybe Mrs Blair would like the job) would get him off anyway. Just kill the ******* and whip out all the other terriost groups at the same time.

Rant over and boy do i fell better :cheers:

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I don't know how much support France and Germany have pledged, but the Italians have basically said '**** off, it's nothing to do with us'

Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    Could someone please let me know the next time this documentary runs? I'd really like to see it.

OptiBoard Administrator
    ----
    OptiBoard has been proudly serving the Eyecare Community since 1995.

Occupation
    Thanks Jo. The only channel I get of these is CNN and the schedule says Sunday but doesn't give the date.

OptiBoard Administrator
    ----

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I looked through the program times and couldn't find it either. I thought I heard that CNN was going to rebroadcast the show but I can't remember when.

Occupation

Exclamation Heads Up!

CNN is re-running this documentary today, Sunday Sept. 30th, at 4:00pm and 11:00pm Eastern Standard Time.

OptiBoard Administrator
    ----

Thread Information