2GB 667 DDR2 - 2x1GB SO-DIMMs
    Accessory Kit
    SuperDrive 8x (DVD±R DL/DVD±RW/CD-RW)
    Backlit Keyboard/Mac OS - U.S. English
    2.4GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
    iWork '08 preinstalled
    MacBook Pro 17-inch High-Resolution Glossy Widescreen Display
    160GB Serial ATA Drive @ 5400 rpm

Any comments or suggetions? I've had it with Windows PCs.

OptiBoard Administrator
    ----
    OptiBoard has been proudly serving the Eyecare Community since 1995.

Take it from me........

You will never regret making that purchase. You can take that to the bank! your friend harry
    "Always laugh when you can. It is a cheap medicine"
    Lord Byron

Take a photo tour of Cape Cod and the Islands!
    www.capecodphotoalbum.com

Comment

I just bought that same model about a month ago, except I went with the 15" screen and a 200 GB @7200.

Love it! I have never had the ease I have had with this computer. I bought Parallel's Desktop, just in case I needed Windows. I have not used it, well I did load it on the computer. The MacBook Pro is soooo light and very nice to carry around. I recommend you get it.

Comment

My only recomendation is for you to buy it!

The system you listed looks great and you will not be sorry. I love my mac and will never buy another pc again.

Zachary L. Barvitz, Chief Marketing Officer
        ------------------------------------------
        Liquid Software Designs, Inc.
        2474-108 Walnut St.
        Cary, NC 27518
        Phone: 503.336.5213
        Fax: 866.394.5961
        Email: zachary@liquidsoftwaredesigns.com
        Web: http://www.liquidsoftwaredesigns.com

Comment

Macs, especially MacBooks are the beeknees. If only I could afford a MacBook.
          www.opticaljedi.com
          www.facebook.com/opticaljedi
          www.twitter.com/opticaljedi

Comment

Originally posted by Grubendol View Post
            Macs, especially MacBooks are the beeknees. If only I could afford a MacBook.
            Just wait till you get that college education paid for! :):)
            "Always laugh when you can. It is a cheap medicine"
            Lord Byron

Take a photo tour of Cape Cod and the Islands!
            www.capecodphotoalbum.com

Comment

Hi Steve,

I mentioned to my hubby about your wanting to purchase a MAC BOOK pro he gave me some suggestions for you.

View the “Glossy Screen” vs “Matte Screen”.

I prefer the matte screen because you don’t get reflections of light from behind you. The glossy screen has a slightly higher contrast and colours appear to “pop” more.

I’d also suggest purchasing through a reseller that will bundle either software or hardware. Maczone, Macmall, etc.

Last but not least, BUY APPLECARE! It’s $350, but covers the machine for 3 years... Nice, if anything should go wrong.

Aside from that the Mac is a solid computer, it only comes in limited configurations all of which are good. Even the lowest grade MacBook Pro is a lot of computer. If the machine is going to be used primarily for web surfing, email, word processing and light image/video work this spec is more than enough hardware to do the job.

Comment

MBP Wait until January if you can!

The MBP in all flavors (15 and 17) are past their normal refresh date and all data points to new ones coming out on January 15th when MacWorld Expo has Steve Jobs providing the keynote. The new systems are likely to include new 45nm CPU's from Intel with larger level 2 cache, faster system buses and possibly improved graphics cards. Unless you need to spend before January 1 for tax reasons, I would wait.

Keep an eye on www.appleinsider for updated rumors regarding this, they are the most reliable.

Check out http://buyersguide.macrumors.com/ to see how often different macs are updated and where they are in their life cycle.

You will love it! Typed on a older PowerBook while impatiently waiting for January 15:drop:

John
                John Henahan
                Spectrum Eyecare
                www.speceye.com

Comment

Originally posted by Snitgirl View Post
                  :hammer:

Last but not least, BUY APPLECARE! It’s $350, but covers the machine for 3 years... Nice, if anything should go wrong.
                  The great thing about Macs is the Applecare can be purchased at any time before the original 1 year warrant expires so you don't have to buy it the day of purchase you can wait till the last day of the original warranty before you buy it and it will cover your Mac.

Comment

Apple care

I have used apple care on every laptop I have ever owned and recommend it highly. If you don't buy it when you get the box, be sure to mark your calendar, because they don't send reminders any more.
                    John Henahan
                    Spectrum Eyecare
                    www.speceye.com

Comment

Thanks for the advice everyone. I was looking at this for tax reasons but seeing that there are new Macs just around the corner I think I'll wait.

OptiBoard Administrator
                      ----

Comment

My hardware decisions are dictated by my software. My son offered me his old MacBook Pro (about six months old.) Alas, I had to refuse it as the cost of replacing the software that I use on a daily basis would buy a new car. It sure would be nice if this weren't the case.

By the way, if you are a long time computer user you might find this link very interesting:

Impact of the Commodore 64

[FONT='Calibri','sans-serif']http://www.computerhistory.org/event...ction=calendar[/FONT]

If you do not have broadband you might just skip it. It's 200M.
                        Dick

www.aerovisiontech.com

Comment

FWIW my first computer was Kaypro II:

OptiBoard Administrator
                          ----

Comment

Working...
                          X