Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Essilor TD2 Scratch resistant Coating ?

Hello:

Can anyone tell me anything about the TD2 Essilor lens scratch resistant coatings.

Worth an additional $ 40.00 ?
    How can one be sure it's actually been applied?

Better ones avail.?

Thanks,
    Bob rgsrose@tiac.net

The TD-2 scratch resistant coating (SRC) is the coating used under the AR to make Crizal. I'm sure that it's a very good coating but question whether it's any better than any factory applied SRC--all of which carry a warranty and are significantly less expensive.

Most mid- and all poly and high-index lenses come with a double sided SRC. CR-39 is available with CX SRC; if you feel you need a CC coating as well, most labs can add a backside coating at a nominal cost.

Comment

For the TD 2 I charge 40.00 extra. We all have to make a living and not a killing.

It is worth it.
      Last edited by Matthew; 06-23-2001, 02:55 PM.

Comment

We use the TD2 coating frequently and it is worth it. The warranty is the same as Crizal warranty and you can't beat it. It comes with an "authenticity" card and you give it to the patient and they can feel good about their purchase.

Comment

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think Bobb is a customer rather than an optician, and you just ruined his enjoyment of his card. :)

Comment

mmm

Originally posted by Maria
            I think Bobb is a customer rather than an optician
            My take was the same, once again retail showing just how much they up prices to the punter.

Comment

TD2

We use TD2 alot. The only major problem is if its not stock, its a delay getting it. The warranty is great and it certainly does seem to be worth the extra paid.

Comment

TD2

TD2 is definitely a legit coating. One way to prove that there is TD2 coating on the lens is to try and tint it. TD2 will not allow any tinting of the lens. If you ever want to put UV filter in a CR39, TD2 coated lens, you have to do it before the coating is applied.

TD2 is a tedious process and goes through a strict quality control step. They will not even send a lens to me with any defect. I always tell my patients that TD2 is a special coating that is upheld to the most strict standards. I explain that if there are any defects in the coating at all, the lens will have to be totally remade and coated. Therefore it may take a little longer to acquire. I have not had one patient not understand. My lab is very good at informing me when a lens does not pass mustard so I can call my patient and let me know.

I have been dispensing TD2 for 2 years and out of the hundreds of TD2 jobs I have dispensed, about 5% have been returned for scratches. I have not had one complaint about the price or the product. In fact, I've had less complaints about TD2 than the old scratch resistant coating that we sold before.

Those of you who think TD2 is just another scratch coating are misinformed.

Comment

Re: TD2

Originally posted by slate83
                  My lab is very good at informing me when a lens does not pass mustard so I can call my patient and let me know.
                  I've never seen a lens pass mustard before. Can they do Ketchup as well? :bbg:

(sorry - I know we all make typos, but this one gave me a good, desperately needed laugh, so I had to share.)

I believe the proper term is "pass muster".

Blake
                  Light travels faster than sound, which is why some people appear brighter before you hear them speak.

Comment

Re: Re: TD2

Originally posted by Blake
                    I believe the proper term is "pass muster".
                    I guess this is better than 'passing gas'. Or even worse - 'passing mustard gas!' :D

OptiBoard Administrator
                    ----
                    OptiBoard has been proudly serving the Eyecare Community since 1995.

Comment

However, a lens could cut the mustard :)

Comment

Mustard

Thanks for the correction, Blake.

And yes, I use mustard to test my lens. Don't you?

Is there a difference between cutting the mustard and cutting the cheese?

Comment

umm, yeah... sure... mustard...

Sure I use mustard... but only the store brand. The high end place down the street uses Grey Poupon, though.

Blake
                          Light travels faster than sound, which is why some people appear brighter before you hear them speak.

Comment

TD2 is worth the wait in my book. The warranty they offer is one of the best I have seen. The patient has to decide if they want a 1 year lens or 2 year lens. Some will pay extra if they only get their eyes examined every 2 years and some will say their Rx is changed every year, so they settle for the 1 year lens. I try to explain to those folks how much better the TD2 will look throughout that year. It's not just about the warranty. That just shows how much faith the company has in their product.

Comment

No, no, no. If the lens is bad, or wrong, then it doesn't cut the mustard. This is entirely different different to cutting the cheese, which is often blamed on the lens, eg
                              :( "Have you cut the cheese?"
                              "No, there's a high index lens on the machine, that's what the smell is.

Comment

Working...
                              X