Thread: Iridium Flares!

Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field

Iridium Flares!

Has anyone else heard of or seen Iridium Flares? These are bright flares caused by the Sun's reflection off the 66 Iridium satellites currently in orbit.

They can be quite a surprise if you don't know what they are. Over a period of up to 30 seconds as the satellite adjusts it's position relative to the Sun, you will see a star-like object slowly getting brighter and brighter - in most cases brighter than any star or planet in the sky - then slowly fade back into the darkness.

The first one I ever saw was at the Grand Canyon Public Star Party at the North Rim last June. Once of the visiting Astromoers told us to look in a certain section of the sky at 9:29PM and sure enough the object grew brighter and brighter then slowly faded away.

One of the coolest things about these is that they are totally predictable and you can find web sites that will tell you exactly when and where these flares will be visible from your location.

The one I use is Heavens-Above. Try it out and let me know what you see. There should be one or more visible almost every day no matter where you are.

Note: Because they are reflecting sunlight, they will always be near sunrise and sinset.

OptiBoard Administrator
    ----
    OptiBoard has been proudly serving the Eyecare Community since 1995.

Opti-Lurker
    Menlo Park, how the h*ll did that happen?
    Occupation
    Consumer or Non-Eyecare field

very, very neat

Steve,

Very cool, I've often wondered just what those high speed specks I've seen when camping (particulary in the desert). Now I know where to look 'em up.

Thanks,
    Matt

Optical Chemical Manufacturer
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor

Cool Stuff

Steve

I used heavens above and it was very cool. Thanks

Banned
    Occupation
    That is so cool. I spend a lot of time stargazzing and I never knew about these. I got one here tonight. I will look for it. Heavens Above was added to my favorites.

OptiBoardaholic
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Our property in the interior of British Columbia is very isolated and DARK. I once looked up and thought the milky way was clouds in the night sky.
    We often watch a sucession of satellites go by, sometimes tracking several at once. Once the light was so bright, we thought it may have been skylab. Telscopes are nice, but not having one doesn't keep one from enjoying the wonders of the night sky, nor pondering one's place in the universe.

Occupation
    The Heavens-Above site will also show when the International Space Sation will be over your area as well. I've watched it several times, even in the large and overly lit city of Phoenix.

OptiBoard Administrator
    ----
    OptiBoard has been proudly serving the Eyecare Community since 1995.

Banned
    Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Machol View Post
    The Heavens-Above site will also show when the International Space Sation will be over your area as well. I've watched it several times, even in the large and overly lit city of Phoenix.
    I have done this. Once right after the shuttle had disconnected and thay were both close together. I got my info off NASA human space flight.

Optical Chemical Manufacturer
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor

Shuttle experience

Living in Central Florida is an entirely different shuttle experience. When there is a very late night launch you can feed the ground shake at 40 miles. It's amazing when you realize it was caused by a machine. I been to a few launches and you are 5 miles across the river and feel the blast effect of the launch.

Prior to the last accident, the landing pattern often came over my home, you hear the double sonic boom that follows the shuttle. If you are prepared you get to look up and see it go past.

Thread Information