Thread: Spam

Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)

Spam

I get lots of spam emails (200+/- per day). Most get deleted without a look, but this one caught my eye. http://zennioptical.com/cart/home.php

$X.XX glasses, WOW, but they don't make them in my Rx.

R +.62 sph
    L +.62 -.50 x 105
    2.25 Add

Might have to order some anyway and see what kind of junk they are selling.

Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    Quote Originally Posted by Jacqui View Post
    I get lots of spam emails (200+/- per day).
    Pshaw! I was gone for 4 days last year and when I came back my server was clogged up with 29,000+ spam emails waiting for me. It took me several hours to figure out how to get rid of these emails and get the server emails working right again.

OptiBoard Administrator
    ----
    OptiBoard has been proudly serving the Eyecare Community since 1995.

Manuf. Lens Surface Treatments
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor

Spyware...................

Lots of spam...................means you have some spyware or cookies planted in your system. Clean it with a spyware remover and run it once a week............these babies seem to come back often.

Occupation
    The post was not about getting spam, but about what came in it. Did anyone look at the website??

Master OptiBoarder Joann Raytar's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    "Anti-Radiation coating is only $4.95 extra"

Okaaaay ... but ...

They know anti-radiation is different from AR or UV right?????? Or are they really offering ELF/VLF protection?

Bad. Too early for thoughts right now.

Occupation

Here's what they said about the PD ...

Here's something "interesting" about the pd measurement ...

The PD or Pupillary Distance is the distance between your two eyes , center to center, the center of one pupil to the center of the other, in Millimeters.(1”= 25.4mm). Unfortunately most optometrists leave this quite necessary measurement off from your prescription, but you can measure this yourself.

You can measure this yourself in a mirror(not very accurate, and not generally recommended) or have a friend measure it for you by holding a ruler just under the pupils of your eyes and measuring the distance center to center. You should be looking straight forward fixing your focus at distant object, and not at the person measuring you.

Average is about 62mm, and most, 97% or so, fall within 54 to 74 range. If you are coming up with a number outside of this range consider that you might be making a measurement mistake.Do NOT just guess,or assume you're just an average 62,and DO NOT measure your old glasses to try to come with this number,.

Sometimes a prescription has two numbers, written such as PD 65/62 usually written on a bi-focal prescription. This means that 65 is your distance vision PD, and the one to be entered on our forms. And 62 is the reading or near vision PD, the one to be used only if you are ordering a plain reading glass only.
    Occasionally a PD is written as ,for example, 32/34.5 which are the mesurements from the center of the nose to either eye, and your PD is the sum of the two, 32+34.5=66.5 and you can enter this as 66 or 67 it does not really matter.
    If you are off by a millimeter or two it really does not matter
    , but try to be as accurate as you can especially for progressive prescription glasses

You should also be able to get your PD from your previous eyeglass supplier, this figure does not expire with age,they have to give it to you by federal law as well as your full prescription, it is your property.

Occupation
    I think it's interesting that there is no mention of an expiration date on the Rx. So, if someone had an Rx from ??? they'd fill it?

Crazy!

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I have seen them !
    You might be surprised!
    And they do have AR( Anti Radiation) wich looks simular to AR (Anti Reflection)

Occupation
    I filled out a hypothetical order with a -19.75 -6.00 x 008 in both eyes and the price of the frame and lenses in a 1.61 material comes out to $46.86 thats including shipping. What if I was to purchase this pair and then return it for a 50% crdit as per their guarentee. That would be $25.91 (no refund on shipping) to cover the cost of the glasses they would make. That's crazy, can anyone say sweat shop.

There are children in vietnam right now on standby ready to make your order. He is certifiable, I mean certified to check the order to make sure it is according to your prescription. I am half tempted to order a pair of glasses just to mess with this company.

Try a google of the address and check out the actual photo, their manufaturing facilitys look like trees to me. Straight from the manufacturer to your door. More like striaght from the whipped child labor to the post office.
    Last edited by HarryChiling; 09-12-2006 at 12:59 PM.
    1st* HTML5 Tracer Software
    1st Mac Compatible Tracer Software
    1st Linux Compatible Tracer Software

*Dave at OptiVision has a web based tracer integration package that's awesome.

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I particularly enjoy that there is a lot of info on choosing the right frame but not so much on lenses. :hammer:

One of the worst people here
    Occupation
    Zenni Optical
    27 Sunny Oaks Dr.
    San Rafael, Ca.94903
    Phone 1-800-211-2105 Phone 1-415-785-7003

There you go. Call the California Opticians Association and report them. Maybe even the IRS too.

Notice no PAL measurement area. I guess they cut the B in half and add something.

I would love to see the vision out of these babies.

Occupation
    Ophthalmic Technician
    Sounds spooky....
    Am I the only one that noticed the 1.57 index lenses? I have never heard of such a thing. Anyone else?

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Probably the same thing as 1.66-1.67 lenses!

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    And it looks like you're doing a binocular pd regardless of the lens style.
    Hmm...there is absolutely NOTHING asking for Rx verification!!

Do you guys ever give out PD measurements? Do you charge?
    I think I'd charge...

Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by EyeFitWell View Post
    Do you guys ever give out PD measurements? Do you charge?
    I think I'd charge...

I charge threw da nose.:D :D :D

Occupation
    When I dispensed (for a large retail optical company) the policy was (and still is) that measurements were not provided for eyewear we didn't fabricate. (online purchases or safety eyewear).

If I recall, the reasoning was you don't know how accurately someone is going to make the glasses and you don't want something like that to come back to haunt you (and bite you in the butt).

If given the choice, I wouldn't give the pd's. I don't think "we" (as a profession) should make it easier for the onliners. It's chipping away at the industry ... and I don't want to do that! I would want to stop that.

Just my thoughts ...

Thread Information